User Tag List

Delete-me is offline Regular Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Black Headed Python - Responsibility & Care

Hey Guys,

I have finally convinced my folks to allow me to get a BHP (Hopefully from QLD).

One condition is that I present them with all the information I possibly can on Care and Maintenance, Feeding and Handling & enclosure info/care for the beast . (Basically they wanna make sure that if I handle it or others its not gonna bit and kill like anaconda!)

I have been researching in the library and internet a lot but figured who better to ask then real snake handlers!

So any assistance would be great thanks!

snakes123 is offline Regular Member
    Age/Gender
    17 Male
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gallery Photos
    come to the right place.

Ben
    Youtube: SydneyReptiles

harley0402 Guest
    hi, they are a very large snake, females getting abit bigger then males. They are very enthusiastic feeders and should be fed, as a yearling, every 5 to 7 days, as an adult maybe every 7 to 10 days or so. Adult BHP can become over weight so in stead of feeding them big rats, give them a few smaller meals. Adults will need a big enclosure, about 6ft length ways as they are ground dwelling snakes. Hot spot in the enclosure about 32-35 degrees, cooler end 27ish degrees. Humidity should be about 60 %. Have some hides and a water bowl. lol. They can be cage defensive and hiss and puff up abit, they may strike but usually wont bite. They kinda headbutt. Most bites i have heard are form miss read feeding responses. But having said that all snakes are different just like people. I have a male that is an absolute puppy and a female that puts on a show, mine are only young still. They are also the only python species that can regrow their tounge, i only found that out the other day so i had to add it lol. I hope this helps you abit, and good luck.

search 'show off your black heads', that will give you an idea on how big they get. I always look at that thread, its pretty cool.
    Last edited by harley0402; 07-Mar-11 at 05:40 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow 2 meter house :p take up most my room haha thanks heaps for the info!

rockstar_jones is offline Regular Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah as above.

They are a great species and I love mine to bits.

Make sure you invest in a good, strong and long hook cause mine has been known to be a bit random with her temprement when taking outside or if I accidentally wake her up etc.

Apart from that, once she knows who and what you are, she is great to handle and very enthusiastic.

Main things, big enclosure (depending on age/size of snake) and make sure it is damn strong. Lock on glass, mine tries to open the glass doors and quite frankly I think she could do it pretty easily if there were no locks on the glass. A bit of humidity - Keep water bowl towards warmer end. I spray mist the enclosure with 1-2 squirts most days just to give it a little boost.

When knew and getting to know your blackhead, and while it gets to know you, I suggest using a good hand wash with a bit of a fragrance and wash up your hands and arms just to make sure your knew smell doesn't get mistaken for food in the first few occasions etc.

Goodluck mate and all the best!

Michael

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rockstar_jones View Post
    Yeah as above.

They are a great species and I love mine to bits.

Make sure you invest in a good, strong and long hook cause mine has been known to be a bit random with her temprement when taking outside or if I accidentally wake her up etc.

Apart from that, once she knows who and what you are, she is great to handle and very enthusiastic.

Main things, big enclosure (depending on age/size of snake) and make sure it is damn strong. Lock on glass, mine tries to open the glass doors and quite frankly I think she could do it pretty easily if there were no locks on the glass. A bit of humidity - Keep water bowl towards warmer end. I spray mist the enclosure with 1-2 squirts most days just to give it a little boost.

When knew and getting to know your blackhead, and while it gets to know you, I suggest using a good hand wash with a bit of a fragrance and wash up your hands and arms just to make sure your knew smell doesn't get mistaken for food in the first few occasions etc.

Goodluck mate and all the best!

Michael

I'm so excited haha cant wait to get one and have get to know me
    Do people take theirs out often/ for long - or let them be?

cleobhp is offline Subscriber
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I let mine roam around the house but you have to watch her as she would open the sliding door, just be prepared for how big they get, mine is 8ft which isn't as big as a few other species but they pack on a bit of bulk, also watch out if you wake them up, I made that mistake once and she tried to drag me into her enclosure. Apart from that they are a great pet and I wouldn't sell her for the world.