Pet Pacific

User Tag List

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 41112131415 LastLast
Like Tree276Likes

Thread: UPDATED: Disgusting case of neglect (pic heavy)

Python-Lover4lyf is offline Regular Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have never felt so angered and disgusted until reading this story . It's a gift to have ANY type of snake no matter what temperament and it's a disgrace to the world of herps to have someone neglect and take advantage of those amazing animals. If you can't even care for one properly why the h*** would you have over 40. That digraceful creep should be punished the way they were for who knows how long! The only thing that puts me at peace is that they are now being taken care of (PROPERLY) and those that were wild released after being attended to. Sorry for they outburst

*the outburst*
    SniperCap and Venomous_RBB like this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This incident has certainly fired people up, as it should. Please don't think however, that it's only reptiles that receive the cold shoulder from the authorities. I own both snakes and furry critters, and in my time as a horse owner I have had the eye-opening experience of assisting in the rescue of neglected and abused horses. Often reduced to tears, my daughter and I would help care for the rescued animals whilst the relevant 'authorities' worked on the cases. IN EVERY SINGLE CASE, THE OWNERS WERE GIVEN A SMALL FINE, A LECTURE BY THE RSPCA, AND THE ANIMALS WERE RETURNED TO THEIR "CARE" !!! After much digging and worming around, I encountered an equally frustrated RSPCA officer who told me confidentially that horses were hardly ever seized permanently because the RSPCA doesn't have the room to paddock them. That's right, the morons who are supposed to be defending the helpless creatures of this world can't work out a solution to this 'insurmountable' problem. How about paying some farmer a modest fee to agist them until they are rehomed so it saves him slashing his fields? Hard, isn't it?
    I would say that snakes represent the 'unsavoury' to some of the fluff and feathers volunteers at such organizations - and to some of the paid staff also - so procrastination is their first line of action.
    As for Parks and Wildlife...bloody hell, I would have expected quicker action there.
    Anyhow, a good outcome for the snakes and the offender has a date with his karma.
    Morgana

cma_369 is online now Regular Member
    Age/Gender
    23 Male
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    only infront of the cameras they seem to give a stuff!
    I seriously don't understand how hard it is to reverse the onus onto the accused to prove he hasn't neglected his animals, rather then force rangers to spend countless man hours chasing their tails....
    Also, INCREASE! the bloody fines, like they have with traffic infringments.
    It will raise even more revenue for our cash strapped governments and people might finally wake up and smell the cheese!
    Last edited by cma_369; 30-Mar-12 at 06:55 PM.
    1 x Male Bredli
    1 x Female Bredli

Raymonde is offline Regular Member
    Age/Gender
    28 Female
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gallery Photos
    It seems that although this case had an ok outcome (animals safe and re-homed, and owner prosecuted although only lightly fined), ULTIMATELY if you want to prove without a doubt that someone is mistreating or failing to properly care for their animal(s) you must leave all the animals alone and provide no care, even if it means they die as a result as that is the only way authorities can't question your allegations, don't buy them off the owner, don't clean them or feed them, just report it and take pictures, and watch the animals die or suffer.....

in other words the system sucks. Its a matter of deciding whats more important, providing treatment and saving the animals life OR making sure that the owner with be prosecuted and stopped from doing the same thing again

Luckily in this situation it was possible to eventually get both outcomes. But only because Cam and Sean cared enough to persist with reporting it. Well done Cam and Sean, you did a really great job in a really crappy situation

(p.s. i am not saying don't provide care for mistreated animals, i know i wouldn't have been able to stop myself if i had been in cam's and sean's position, i am saying the system wants us to not provide care IF we want any official action to be taken)
    cma_369, Icarus and CrystalMoon like this.
    bredli carpet python, woma python
    wishlist: rough scaled python, geckos, etc... Truthfully, I want just about everything...

miss_mosher is offline Regular Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Morgana View Post
    This incident has certainly fired people up, as it should. Please don't think however, that it's only reptiles that receive the cold shoulder from the authorities. I own both snakes and furry critters, and in my time as a horse owner I have had the eye-opening experience of assisting in the rescue of neglected and abused horses. Often reduced to tears, my daughter and I would help care for the rescued animals whilst the relevant 'authorities' worked on the cases. IN EVERY SINGLE CASE, THE OWNERS WERE GIVEN A SMALL FINE, A LECTURE BY THE RSPCA, AND THE ANIMALS WERE RETURNED TO THEIR "CARE" !!! After much digging and worming around, I encountered an equally frustrated RSPCA officer who told me confidentially that horses were hardly ever seized permanently because the RSPCA doesn't have the room to paddock them. That's right, the morons who are supposed to be defending the helpless creatures of this world can't work out a solution to this 'insurmountable' problem. How about paying some farmer a modest fee to agist them until they are rehomed so it saves him slashing his fields? Hard, isn't it?
    I would say that snakes represent the 'unsavoury' to some of the fluff and feathers volunteers at such organizations - and to some of the paid staff also - so procrastination is their first line of action.
    As for Parks and Wildlife...bloody hell, I would have expected quicker action there.
    Anyhow, a good outcome for the snakes and the offender has a date with his karma.
    Morgana
    I have a solution to this problem... STOP BUILDING BEAUTIFUL HOUSES PACKED LIKE SARDINES ON THE PADDOCKS. I used to attend a riding school here and in the last decade, ALL of the paddocks that housed the 150+ horses have been covered in houses. One of the biggest lot of paddocks is right next to a massive water bird habitat which obviously smells a bit during Spring. So what happened when they flattened the paddocks and put hundreds of houses on them? The people living there complained about the smell so the council ripped all the natural flora from the Waterbird habitat to stop attracting birds. So now it's a fenced off creek with a bunch of sheep living happily in their houses next door... Furious!
    Oh and naturally my riding school got shut down and replaced by a woollies. The end.
    Marzzy and CaptainRatbag like this.

Python-Lover4lyf is offline Regular Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

CaptainRatbag is offline Regular Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can you imagine what would have happened to the snakes if cam and sean hadnt intervened? I can hardly bare to imagine it! It would have been devastating..... at least the snakes have a chance now (I hope)

Again, good onya boys

Frozenmouse is offline Regular Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    RSPCA are a money making company now. The RSPCA have retained the name but they don't really protect anything. Last year they euthanized over 10,000 dogs and cats and managed to turn out with 18m dollars of profit , this exercise would have taken money away from their profit margin.
    Python-Lover4lyf likes this.

CrystalMoon is online now Reptile Lover Subscriber
    Age/Gender
    49 Female
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am ashamed of this poor excuse of a human I feel the deepest sense of sorrow for the poor reptiles in this situation .... The fact the authorities have been so apathetic is disgusting. I can only imagine the feelings you are going through. All I can say is thankyou for caring enough to help these poor defenseless snakes

---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?mwg3lp
    Python-Lover4lyf likes this.

If you throw stones make sure you dont live in a glass house

Nes88c is offline Regular Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I feel so deeply upset and distugested by all of this. Its a big wake up call for everyone, including the authoruites. I am very new to keeping reptilies and I am aware i have no experiences in deeling with them... but surely common sense prevales here, u dont keep ur cat litter filthy as it stinks out the house and is unhealthy for ur pets, same goes with dogs, mice, rats, any aminal really doesnt it??

I would really like to know how these beautiful creatures are going and see how they are now, in size differences, etc, etc.

i dont belive this thread should ever be closed, but reamin open as a constant reminder of how to help animals in need. I agree that RSPCA, P&W etc etc need to step up to the mark and do it quickly!!!! I also agree that it sucks that in order to help these animals in the long run, we need to watch them suffer and die, this needs to be stopped and stopped NOW

i would like to say thank you to Cam and Sean, you are in inspiration to all of us on here, you have done the impossible, even if the result was a little disheartening, you should hold your heads up high and know you will always have the respect of your fellow reptile keepers. well done!!!!!!

Manda1032 is offline Regular Member
    Age/Gender
    33 Female
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gallery Photos
    Thank you for this thread. I was thinking of wasting my time by calling the DERM morons in regards to a local issue but I will not waste my time. I have delt with DERM before in reporting a person taking wild animals and selling them on as his own collection and got nowhere because when they decided to drive the 2 hours from Toowoomba they found no one home so they went back and never followed up. I knew he was selling wild animals cause he asked me to collect and keep the ones I found in my bird cages!
    I have also had the misfortune of dealing with the RSPCA on many occasions. I will no longer donate to them for all of the reasons stated in posts on this thread. I have also delt with the RSPCA in townsville. They are truely beyond hopeless! It doesn't matter what animals are abused, all the people really get is a slap on the wrist. The only real hope we have is Karma, and pray it bites their Butts soooo hard!

Cam and Sean, you went further than most would have. To go thru the stresses of trying to get justice I know is the hardest thing. To see the animals in the state they are subjected to pails in comparison to the emotions of dealing with the authorities. But the glimmer of hope the police offer in this story is so suprising, and somewhat comforting. To think the boys in blue pushed for the justice of these little scaled victims makes me smile and think there is still hope for the human race yet. Thank you Seargent Mark Hogenelst of the Charters Towers Stock and Rural Crime Investigation Squad for giving the little reptiles a voice
    CrystalMoon and Kitarsha like this.
    3 x childreni, 1 x spotted, 1 x Georgetown Stimsoni, 1 x Murray Darling, 1 x Central Beardie and from the 5/5/13 2 Shingleback babies I'm here to help, not judge..like others enjoy doing MAD MINI WOMAN! Hot bricks ROCK!

PythonLegs is offline Regular Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Once again, QLD police do what RSPCA and DERM should be doing. Funny how the representatives of both organisations (who do frequent this site, and have undoubtedly read this thread) are staying silent..unsurprising to see the brand new, amazing reptile facility the rspca rep. was shouting about is as big a waste of time and money as everything else they've attempted recently. Still think the pay leap was justified, Mr.Hornby?
    Manda1032 likes this.
    General Rule 5 -Posts must be meaningful and not waste the time of other site users.

herpaholik is offline Regular Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This made me cry. I treat my snakes like they are my babies.

Damiieen is online now Regular Member
    Age/Gender
    19 Male
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gallery Photos

UPDATED: Disgusting case of neglect (pic heavy)

WOW! Just read this thread... Honestly top job mate! Done everyone proud.

Haven't read all the comment's but yeah the police and RSPCA suppose to be there for all animal's obviously could not care less :/ Hope there all doing well now and are all living a better life at a new home which they deserve.
    Again top job!

oOLaurenOo is offline Regular Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unfortunately the RSPCA can only enforce the rules as the state and federal government lay them down. They (like any government organisation) are so swamped down by rules and regulations it seems impossible to do anything that isn't officially covered by a rule book. If you want change, start petitioning to your local or state government for stricter animal abuse laws. I personally agree 100% that there should be greater fines and jail time for animal abusers, but the RSPCA and national parks and wildlife can't do anything about that unless the state and federal laws change to allow them to do so. If we could get a serious petition going with ALOT of names on it then maybe we could get somewhere, but we need our frustration to be directed at the right people if we want to actually make a difference.

Unfortunately the RSPCA can only enforce the rules as the state and federal government lay them down. They (like any government organisation) are so swamped down by rules and regulations it seems impossible to do anything that isn't officially covered by a rule book. If you want change, start petitioning to your local or state government for stricter animal abuse laws. I personally agree 100% that there should be greater fines and jail time for animal abusers, but the RSPCA and national parks and wildlife can't do anything about that unless the state and federal laws change to allow them to do so. If we could get a serious petition going with ALOT of names on it then maybe we could get somewhere, but we need our frustration to be directed at the right people if we want to actually make a difference.

- - - Updated - - -

(Definitely not saying they couldn't do with some improvement by the way) Just saying if we want change, it would be more effective if it was initiated higher up the food chain.
    Last edited by oOLaurenOo; 30-Aug-12 at 10:31 PM.
    Never argue with a stupid person. They will drag you down to there level, then beat you with experience.

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 41112131415 LastLast