Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Rifle hunters.

jedi_339 is offline Regular Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gallery Photos
    I also have a 6.5 x 55 Beard, and I do love it, is yours a husqvarna or a Carl gustaf?

I'm looking for properties at the moment here in QLD and would like to bag some pigs, roos or deer mainly, hence why I went for something a little bigger.

I've got my little CZ .22 coming tomorrow factory threaded and all

and I've also got a few people close to me with a 22-250, another .22 and 6.5 x 55, 12g and a .223, they're all great and more or less available for hunting buddies but I'm happy with the way I've got my mauser setup now. I've got a Hawke tactical 8.5-25x42 on top (shipped it in from the states) and shooting around about MOA or better with factory loads on paper so can't wait to start handloading in the near future and get out into the field, I reckon it'd be a great deer stalking rifle.

Crocboy is offline Regular Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    .243 Winchester - YouTube

We were waiting for plaster to dry so we filled up the empty plaster buckets with water!

R.a.n.g.a is offline Regular Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Beard I know and feel your anger about the loss of live stock to the filthy redcoats.
    Now onto my other passion,firearms.lately I've been using my new little toy a rem 7615 pump 223,slightly modified built it for goats and the other gun there is also a 223 that I use for roo shooting.
    But my favorite firearm is my Winchester 270 short magnum,it's the one that I will walk all day with.

SteveNT is offline Regular Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bruno 308. A bit much for a fox but stops buffalo nicely
    browny likes this.
    This is the voice of sand.... there is far more sea than land. Pere Ubu

Gruni is offline Regular Member
    Age/Gender
    44 Male
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had .22LR and .308 Mauser in the past, got the irrits with the .22 when a fox ran off after a head shot so went to the .308 for the night some good laughs and pulled one sly plick who wouldn't come inside 300yds but a bit of over kill and $$$ for fox busting... I was reloading my own gear in those days. These days I love my .243 BSA Monarch, great all rounder and can pull down some big game with the right pill, mine is zeroed for 200yds. Only problem is in Vic min cal for deer is a .270 so if/when I get down that way I will have to add a new toy.

My .22mag is good fun out to 150yds on foxes/cats/hares.

Banjo is offline Regular Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a Sako 243 which I have had for many years, great rifle, makes a big mess of foxes using 80 grain projectiles though. Just recently purchased 22 Winchester Widcat to teach my young son how shoot and I'm very pleased with it, nice short stock which is great for kids.

browny is offline Regular Member
    Age/Gender
    36 Male
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    haven't had anything in ages got a soft spot for the lever actions though, only ever really went chasing feral species myself

dam you now I want to go out again
    moosenoose likes this.

PMyers is offline Subscriber
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a .308 (Remington), a .338 lapua (AI), and a .375 H&H (CZ). Got rid of 'em all upon moving to QLD, because I hadn't used them for a long time and couldn't be stuffed keeping the licence going. If I do end up on property soon, I might invest in another one... probably just a good all-rounder .308 though. Very few people can afford to shoot the others too damned often, after all.

I'm not a cynic. I've merely had the rose-coloured glasses ripped from my face and crushed beneath the boot-heel of life
    1.1.0 Liasis Olivaceous | 1.1.0 Antaresia perthensis | 0.0.1 Boiga irregularis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just curious, does anyone know how much a 20 pack of .308 factory loads are worth?

waruikazi is offline Regular Member
    Age/Gender
    28 Male
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Banjo View Post
    Just curious, does anyone know how much a 20 pack of .308 factory loads are worth?
    About $26 bucks for the cheapies. But i've found for pigs, the cheaper the round the greater the damage.

I have a Ruger M77 Hawkeye in .308 which i'm about to mount a Leupold VX2 3x9x40, an upgrade from a 1.5x5. One of the best things i've bought in the last 5 years by far. Also have a Lanber 2086 12 gauge and i'm picking up a Remmington 7615 in .223 in a fortnight.

Would love some suggestions for a good red dot to mount on the pump. Any suggestions for less than $300?
    Gordo- I like it like that

Quote Originally Posted by crikey View Post
    hay i dont mind opening my mouth to every one as that is what im like

Wrightpython is offline Suspended
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i own a 22 miroku lever, a weatherby 223 sub moa blued synthetic with leupold vx3 8.5-25 x 40, a 30-30 win lever, Weatherby 300wm sub moa stainless synthetic with Leupold vx3 4.5-14 x 50 boone and crockett and my favourite gun is my win mod 70 pre 64 243cal with oiled finished stock and ceracoat with microslick and a vx3 3-9 x 40. Most guns put 5 shot clovers at 200 yards when im not shooting them and minute of pig when i am.

Dutchy88 is offline Regular Member
    Age/Gender
    26 Male
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gallery Photos
    Best alround calibre for sure 243 or 22-250 but 223 are good for anything up to pigs also those 17hmr are ridiculously could for wat they are personally there's nothin more fun then smashing some bunnies wit my coach gun

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for that waruikazi. I often think about buying a .308 rifle, obviously cheaper to run.

Quote Originally Posted by waruikazi View Post
    About $26 bucks for the cheapies. But i've found for pigs, the cheaper the round the greater the damage.

I have a Ruger M77 Hawkeye in .308 which i'm about to mount a Leupold VX2 3x9x40, an upgrade from a 1.5x5. One of the best things i've bought in the last 5 years by far. Also have a Lanber 2086 12 gauge and i'm picking up a Remmington 7615 in .223 in a fortnight.

Would love some suggestions for a good red dot to mount on the pump. Any suggestions for less than $300?

Wrightpython is offline Suspended
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.James View Post
    Little early to be shooting foxes..

My weapon of choice is a .204 ruger, made by savage firearms. Using 30 & 32 grainers. I use this for foxes and deer. Very accurate and enough punch for almost anything provided u know where to hit them & u can shoot. Getting nice head shots up to 500m.

I also use a mates .17 remington mkIV. It is much better for hitting foxes on the nose, leaves a nice tiny hole. Can hit on the nose up to 350m on a good night.

I only shoot during the winter period on various properties.
    While i cannot say for sure you havent shot out to 500 meters i was wondering if you knew the ballistic table of your little ruger 204
    Long-Range Trajectory
    Cartridge TypeBullet100150200250300400500
    Premier® AccuTip™320.60.7zero-1.5-4.1-13.1-28.9
    Premier® AccuTip™400.70.7zero-1.6-4.3-13.2-28.1

measurements are in inches. At five hundred meters you would have to hold over target 73 cm. Now if you are head shooting foxes at 200 meters and your gun puts five shoots into inch then you would be spreading them 2 inchs which is the size of foxs head, at 500 meters the group size of a stable sand bag rest would be 5 inches at least. this does not take into account the fact that there is wind at different speeds and directions over that 500 meters. now while i dont doubt you mat shoot 500 meters( this is a very long way and even with my 25 power scope seeing a foxs head at that distance cleanly enough is quite hard) if you do manage to hit said target it was only because at that exact time that animal was destined to die whether by your bullet or a lightning bolt it was dead fox walking. If you shoot at an animal at 500 meters and even if you take into consideration wind, elevation hold over depending on humidity, heat, cold assuming you correctly estimate range then you have to factor in lead as it takes 3/4 of a second for your projectile to reach 500 meters, an animal can move a fair way in 3/4 of a second. Now for my last point, i know foxs are bad and i like you would like to see everyone eradicated however i try to be humane, one addage i was taught is do not squeeze unless you can be almost certain of an instant kill. at five hundred meters if you are slightly off and wound (which is more than likley over clean kill) it is to far away for a quick follow up shot or follow up run to finish job. Now i am not saying that no one should shoot 500 meters or that no one can. you may be the best shot in the world which i hope you are but i would not or could not infer its a good idea. If you practice every day and consistently hit a 2 inch disc at five hundred meters then blaze away but remember even army snipers are not taught to be as accurate they are told center mass your trying for head shot.on a side note i do like the caliber and was thinking about building one up on a ruger falling block hex barrel for long range can busten cheers james
    Last edited by Wrightpython; 15-Mar-12 at 08:55 PM.
    bimbo likes this.

Tristan is offline Regular Member
    Age/Gender
    29 Male
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    don't own any myself yet but over xmas i went to my old in Carnarvon and spent some time at the range and went hunting as well. we got to play with the following.

Stirling 22
    9mm glock
    Ruger 38 Special
    Ruger 375 Magnum
    S&W 38 Super
    infinity 38 super semi-auto
    Remington 44 magnum
    Infinity 357 sig
    12 Gauge under and over
    Remington 12 gauge auto
    Winchester 44 Magnum
    Marlin 3030
    CMC 2506
    50cal black powder
    and a sharps 45/120

i only have a couple of pics here's the 3030, the 50cal black powder and the sharps 45/120

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...BuffaloGun.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...Marlin3030.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...owder50cal.jpg

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast