Pet City

User Tag List

ezzy-eades is offline Regular Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

breeding snakes for a living

hey guys i was just thinking the other night how many people out there breed pythons as full time job to make there dosh. So i just thought id ask the question
    cheerz guys

webcol is offline Subscriber
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are interested, maybe send a email to some of the advertised breeders on here, like snake ranch. Im sure they will be more then happy to answer any questions
    NO ONE SHOULD DICTATE TO ME WHAT I CAN AND CAN NOT DO TO MY BODY.

Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

wranga is offline Regular Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    not as many as you may thing. alot of people breed more for the love of the animal and not dosh. the dosh that you do get isnt much when you workout how much time you have put into breeding

Bretsta is offline Regular Member
    Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia
    Age/Gender
    28 Male
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i was considering getting a decent beardie set up going. having a bit of trouble finding top notch quality beardies at a good age though. And they'll be just as much pets as they are there breeding. Love my beardies!!!!

pythonmum is offline Subscriber
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not a full time job for medium breeders and few are large enough to consider leaving more predictable employment. Cash flow is a huge problem and you have to have enough animals so that if some don't clutch you aren't in trouble financially. The Snake Ranch 20/20 deal helps their cash flow and that is a major operation. I hope for some holiday spending money in the 2010 season if I'm lucky.

deebo is offline Subscriber
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    as pythonmm says I would have thought cash flow is a problem. Obviously if you wre just out to make money your would try and invest in breeding age animals but if not it would be about 2.5 - 3yrs before you saw any return on your initial investment....

Barno111 is offline Regular Member
    Age/Gender
    23 Male
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mate i dont think there is that many out there that have it as there sole income! But there are a few like snake ranch and southern X reptiles. Some breeders on here are big and have a number of animals, but as already said the cash flow just isnt there! Unless you have alot of money to chuck in to start with it is a long gruiling process to get a good collection going!

JupiterCreek is offline Regular Member
    Age/Gender
    56 Male
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I make musical instruments for a living, and I'm guessing the income stream is about the same for breeding reptiles. There's a joke about a musical instrument maker who wins a million dollars in the lottery, and he's asked what he's going to do with the money. He says he guesses he'll just keep making his instruments until the money runs out.
    Rob

1 Border collie - 1 Spotted python - 0 Wives/GFs

kupper is offline Suspended
    Age/Gender
    28 Male
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    talk to wokka or Rick walker I'm pretty sure both of them do it for a living , I know Rick does lizards to pass the time that it takes to get his womas to breed

wokka is online now Rodent Farm Sponsor
    Age/Gender
    58 Male
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kupper View Post
    talk to wokka or Rick walker I'm pretty sure both of them do it for a living , I know Rick does lizards to pass the time that it takes to get his womas to breed
    I wouldn't like to rely upon breeding reptiles for a living although it is a less costly hobby than playing golf. I breed a couple of hundred cows, a few hundred snakes and a few hundred thousand rodents. The cows and snakes break about even, but do pay a couple of part wages along the way. The rodents keep 4-5 going full time including breeding, marketing and administration; but we are expanding as the hobby grows. Each operation involves significant amounts of capital and is generally hard to finance through traditional scorces.
    Regards,
    Warwick

www.rodentfarm.com.au

Reptilia is offline Subscriber
    Age/Gender
    27 Male
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dont think we will see any new breeders making a living out of selling reptiles for quite some time. (except for the already established ones such as SXR, SR and wokka (snake farmer/rodent farmer). It'll be a long time before we see facilities in australia like the ones they have in the united states and europe. (producing 30,000 + snakes per year) (Is there a breeder here that produces even 1000-2000?). There are plenty of people though making a living producing reptile equipment, products and foods.

A comparison between continents:

Population: (Australia - 21 million+ about 100,000? keepers about 0.5%) (Americas - 300 million+ about 12 million keepers about 4%) (Europe - 830 milllion+ about 21 million keepers about 3.5%)

Variety of species (Australia - restricted to australian species) (usa and europe can pretty much buy any animal on the planet and sell them all over the world.) This will no doubt change when the demand becomes higher and keeping aussie snakes is less satisfying. (a quarantine facilty perhaps?)

Prices of food, products and equipment, range of products and equipment, food availability.