Virides

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: How often should i worm my snake ?

  1. #1
    xXExplodexX is offline Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep-12
    Location
    North Queensland
    Gender
     Male
    Posts
    247
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    How often should i worm my snake ?

    How much does it costs ? Because i am new reptiles and it's my first snake.
    Who does it can i do it myself or the vet does it?

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    GeckoJosh's Avatar
    GeckoJosh is offline O.o Subscriber
    Join Date
    Nov-09
    Location
    Central Coast NSW
    Age/Gender
    28 Male
    Posts
    5,359
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gallery Photos
    5
    Worming for no reason does more harm than good, if you are concerned your snake has worms then have its stool tested by a vet and then medicate accordingly.
    Keeper and breeder of various geckos, small dragons, Broad-banded Sand Swimmers, RHD Womas and Jungle Carpets

  3. #3
    Deyendran's Avatar
    Deyendran is offline Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct-12
    Location
    South Africa JHB
    Gender
     Male
    Posts
    64
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GeckoJosh View Post
    Worming for no reason does more harm than good, if you are concerned your snake has worms then have its stool tested by a vet and then medicate accordingly.
    totally agree
    snakelady-viper likes this.

  4. #4
    xXExplodexX is offline Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep-12
    Location
    North Queensland
    Gender
     Male
    Posts
    247
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok thank you, and i'm not concerned just wanna make my snake has good health. I thought they would get wormed every month.

  5. #5
    longqi's Avatar
    longqi is offline Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun-09
    Location
    Bali indonesia
    Age/Gender
    61 Male
    Posts
    2,810
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Reptile_for_life View Post
    How much does it costs ? Because i am new reptiles and it's my first snake.
    Who does it can i do it myself or the vet does it?

    Thanks.
    It sounds like you think your snake has worms??
    First questions are
    Why do you think it has worms?
    Are the worms affecting the snake in any way?

    If they are skin worms the treatment is different to intestinal worms

    Snakes are not like dogs that need worming every few months
    Dogs get worms through roaming around outside etc etc
    In a pet situation snakes dont have much opportunity to get worms
    So unless you have a reason to think it may have worms there is no need to treat it

    Symptoms of intestinal worms are regurging food, losing weight and condition, lethargy, worms in the poo
    skin worms can usually be felt and seen as soft lumps under the skin
    Lawra likes this.

  6. #6
    xXExplodexX is offline Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep-12
    Location
    North Queensland
    Gender
     Male
    Posts
    247
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nah it doesn't have worms, was checking when it needed to be wormed, thanks every one.

  7. #7
    pythonmum's Avatar
    pythonmum is offline Subscriber
    Join Date
    Oct-06
    Location
    Sydney
    Gender
     Female
    Posts
    2,890
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You may choose to treat only if it has worms, which is fair enough. I was advised by a herp vet to worm twice a year with an appropriate reptile wormer injected into the prey. The snake in question had worms confirmed by the vet on a faecal smear and is kept in a classroom where hygiene is particularly important. Worming takes two doses 5-10 days apart. This is great fun with a small snake, as the dose may be as little as 0.2 ml. You must have an accurate weight to calculate this.

  8. #8
    GeckoJosh's Avatar
    GeckoJosh is offline O.o Subscriber
    Join Date
    Nov-09
    Location
    Central Coast NSW
    Age/Gender
    28 Male
    Posts
    5,359
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gallery Photos
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by pythonmum View Post
    You may choose to treat only if it has worms, which is fair enough. I was advised by a herp vet to worm twice a year with an appropriate reptile wormer injected into the prey. The snake in question had worms confirmed by the vet on a faecal smear and is kept in a classroom where hygiene is particularly important. Worming takes two doses 5-10 days apart. This is great fun with a small snake, as the dose may be as little as 0.2 ml. You must have an accurate weight to calculate this.
    Why would you need to continue worming unless it was re-exposed?

    I really don't see the logic in routinely worming reptiles without confirming the presence of parasites.
    Reptiles are particularly sensitive to chemicals so the less you expose them the better imo.
    Cockney_Red and CaptainRatbag like this.
    Keeper and breeder of various geckos, small dragons, Broad-banded Sand Swimmers, RHD Womas and Jungle Carpets

  9. #9
    pythonmum's Avatar
    pythonmum is offline Subscriber
    Join Date
    Oct-06
    Location
    Sydney
    Gender
     Female
    Posts
    2,890
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The animal in question is held on a scientific license at school and is regularly handled by students. He may become reinfected via food, although I buy from reputable suppliers. I prefer to be safe and after several years he remains very healthy. At the correct dose, worming is very safe.

  10. #10
    geckodan's Avatar
    geckodan is offline Geckodan's Books Sponsor
    Join Date
    Jan-05
    Location
    Sunshine Coast, QLD
    Posts
    1,684
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gallery Photos
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by pythonmum View Post
    He may become reinfected via food, although I buy from reputable suppliers. I
    That is just not a possibility unless the food items are in direct contact with snake faeces infected with parasite ova after the food item has been thawed.

  11. #11
    Ramsayi's Avatar
    Ramsayi is offline Subscriber
    Join Date
    Dec-03
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    4,576
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geckodan View Post
    That is just not a possibility unless the food items are in direct contact with snake faeces infected with parasite ova after the food item has been thawed.
    Wondering if you could confirm or not that geckos can become infected with worms (pinworms?) through eating insects?
    Last edited by Ramsayi; 27-Oct-12 at 01:01 PM.

  12. #12
    snakelady-viper's Avatar
    snakelady-viper is offline snakelady Subscriber
    Join Date
    Oct-04
    Location
    Hunter Valley
    Age/Gender
    54 Female
    Posts
    684
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your snake has a certain amount of worms in his gut to aid in digestion, this symbiotic relationships is benificial to the snake so worming without a bloom of worms can harm the snake Vets will do a float test to see if you are concerned
    The most dangerous snake is ? The one that just bit you !

  13. #13
    Ramsayi's Avatar
    Ramsayi is offline Subscriber
    Join Date
    Dec-03
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    4,576
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by snakelady-viper View Post
    Your snake has a certain amount of worms in his gut to aid in digestion, this symbiotic relationships is benificial to the snake so worming without a bloom of worms can harm the snake Vets will do a float test to see if you are concerned
    Where did you get this info from?
    Using the same logic any animal would benefit from having worms.

  14. #14
    pythonmum's Avatar
    pythonmum is offline Subscriber
    Join Date
    Oct-06
    Location
    Sydney
    Gender
     Female
    Posts
    2,890
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Snakes have bacteria in their gut just like we do, but worms are not natural. Wild snakes tend to carry a fair load of these parasites, but this is not of any benefit to the animal.

  15. #15
    GeckoJosh's Avatar
    GeckoJosh is offline O.o Subscriber
    Join Date
    Nov-09
    Location
    Central Coast NSW
    Age/Gender
    28 Male
    Posts
    5,359
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gallery Photos
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by pythonmum View Post
    The animal in question is held on a scientific license at school and is regularly handled by students. He may become reinfected via food, although I buy from reputable suppliers. I prefer to be safe and after several years he remains very healthy. At the correct dose, worming is very safe.
    How come you dont just test the snake yearly instead then medicate accordingly?
    Last edited by GeckoJosh; 27-Oct-12 at 08:26 PM.
    Keeper and breeder of various geckos, small dragons, Broad-banded Sand Swimmers, RHD Womas and Jungle Carpets

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. My new worm
    By hornet in forum Australian Lizards
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-Feb-11, 11:06 PM
  2. How do you worm your reptiles?
    By AlexB in forum General Reptile Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-Jun-08, 05:39 PM
  3. How often should i worm
    By emmabbey in forum Herp Help
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 24-Mar-08, 03:04 PM
  4. ?How ya worm a Snake?
    By playwell in forum Herp Help
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 23-Jan-05, 07:31 PM
  5. Worm-rid
    By NoOne in forum General Reptile Discussion
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 21-Sep-03, 11:14 PM
Reptiles Down Under