New reptile coming

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
oh ok these ones were 20cm head to tail
[doublepost=1516012863,1516011779][/doublepost]ive been feeding him often but he still isnt getting fatter he has got that skiny look on him

Perhaps he has parasites?

Are his droppings properly digested?
only when he has big crickets
[doublepost=1516156814,1516156744][/doublepost]lately he has been pooping in his water bowel?
[doublepost=1516174640][/doublepost]he just pooped again didnt get a pic sorry but there was a lot of cricket shell but most time his poos are normal
[doublepost=1516182063][/doublepost]what size should a 2yo central be approximately

You'll find that each individual lizard is different in regards to size. Some can either be above, below, or simply of an average size. I've had adult Western Netted Dragons that were 7cm snout to vent length, then I've had a giant at 12.5cm snout to vent length. Not sure how it is with Central Netted Dragons, but in Westerns they should be full grown by the age of two.

Just to add a few more details to what Nero_Egernia posted… Average maximum SV length is 11 cm for Western and 10 cm for Central. Tail length varies in relation to body length for both, but Centrals average is higher than Western. Average total, maximum length for both species is 28 cm. So to get an individual in excess of this length is not uncommon but quickly becomes less common the longer it is. To get adults less than this size is to be very much expected as the figures quoted are at the maximum end and range down from there.

@bluedragon Have you been weighing your Central? If not, it would probably be wise to do so. Like Pinefamil, I noted the lack of body of condition on it when it first arrived. What concerned me then was why the apparent loss of condition from the photos sent by the breeder compared to the animal when it arrived. Given that it is now feeding well and yet still not putting on weight, I immediately question, like Vampstorso, if it has internal parasites.

Captive bred reptiles that are housed indoors on a substrate that has not been collected from the wild cannot get parasites. However, almost all wild caught reptiles do carry a parasite load. It is possible the breeder introduced a wild caught animal to the captive bred ones and it has infected them. The only way parasites can be confirmed (without opening up the lizard) is through microscopic examination of a fresh faecal sample. At this stage probably best to regularly monitor its weight for the next few weeks and see what happens. Irrespective, it might be worth sending photos of before the acquisition and after, and asking the breeder to explain the loss of body condition apparent in these photos. It might also be worthwhile having talk to your vet and find out the details and costing of a faecal examination. By the way, internal parasites are passed on through faeces, which is why the comment about substrate from the wild. The only other possibility is a that a lizard eats an insect that has recently fed on infected faeces. Either of these is extremely unlikely to happen and you really would have to be dead unlucky. You probably have more chance of winning Lotto lol.

Last edited:
guess what yep another new reptile coming im getting a baby eastern blue tongue skink next Saturday just about finished his new setup so stay tuned
P1000747.JPG P1000748.JPG

How did you go with the Central Netted - did he start putting on body condition?

They have a very interesting head compared to most dragons. They almost look deformed with their blunt nasal structure.
ah come on they are not that ugly,I have a few and think they look beautiful with their aboriginal dot painting skin,mine are from 2 different locales but don't know which?unfortunately.
[doublepost=1517742242,1517742016][/doublepost]
this looks like my males,do you know the locale?

Great to hear that he has come good. It was rather worrying there for a while.

The species is variable in colour and general appearance within a local population. So I doubt it is feasible to pin down its place of origin based on appearance, unless of course there is something unique about the patterning that I am not aware of.

Speaking of appearance, the round head, blunt snout and short legs make these guys look like living plush toy lizards – which is pretty damn cute in my opinion. Add to that the ‘aboriginal dot painting skin’, as mentioned by dragonlover1, and it makes for a pretty special looking reptile. You only have to watch some kid’s cartoons to realise how they relate to characters with relatively large, rounded heads and big round eyes. However, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

ah come on they are not that ugly,I have a few and think they look beautiful with their aboriginal dot painting skin,mine are from 2 different locales but don't know which?unfortunately.
[doublepost=1517742242,1517742016][/doublepost]
this looks like my males,do you know the locale?
no dont know
[doublepost=1518516512][/doublepost]here he is hopefully he is only a couple of weeks old he is very active healthy and good colors i think he might be a caramel eastern bluey im not sure but his skin does look caramel how long until i can breed him how many years until i will keep you updated of his progress in the coming months
P1000755.JPG P1000760.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back