Oz purple moon glow lamp for young python

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lou Newcombe

Reaction score
Hi!
I have a question about setting up enclosure for a young caramel jag. She is six months old and I am setting up her tank before she arrives. She has been in a tub set up all her life at the breeders.
I have a 11 watt heat mat under her glass vivarium which is sitting on 32 degrees with thermostat. For ambient heat, given that she is so young and for basking day and night I have tentatively put in a 60 watt oz purple moon glow but am open to suggestions. I have found that the basking day lamps and infra red are too hot for this enclosure given that i is 45 x45 x hx60 at least until she gets used to being out of the tub and grows into the enclosure I will make from an old tv cabinet. Enclosure is glass with mesh top set inside the open cabinet middle/front that covers loss of heat with wooden top of cabinet. I want to know if the moon glow is ok to use at this stage of her young life?
I have a much larger enclosure made out of the large side cupboard of the tv unit that is holding my carpet python
male with no problem using a 75 watt basking lamp on upper floor plus a ceramic tile on lower floor with heat cord in grid formation under floor.. ..it has created a great heat gradient for him. Any help would be appreciated Cheers

Im not sure why no one has come to respond but I will give you my 2 bob's worth.
Why are you looking to use 2 heat sources when your primary choice is capable of achieving the required temperature?
Use the heat mat under approx 1/3rd of the enclosure, maybe up the temp 1 degree or so and thats it, job done.

Its 6 months old so its probably used to 24/7 heat so maintain that until spring finally arrives then gradually 'wean' it off the 24/7 heat down to around 12 hrs.

There is no need to provide 32 degrees throughout the enclosure if thats what you are trying to achieve. The animal needs the ability to thermoregulate so providing a 'hot end' or 'hot spot' of around 32-34 is fine but there must be 'cool' areas, in the low to mid 20's where the snake can get away from the heat. This is highly important in all species but with a jag my opinion is that this is critical as they can respond badly to excessive temps for extended periods of time.

No worries! Thank you for your Reply....The Heat mat is staying at a constant 32-34...I have a 40 watt spot basking light on timer from 7 am till 12 pm. I really appreciate you letting me know about the Jags specifically....hard to get anything on internet that does not just refer to carpet pythons as a whole. Cheers
[doublepost=1540078083,1539922137][/doublepost]
Im not sure why no one has come to respond but I will give you my 2 bob's worth.
Why are you looking to use 2 heat sources when your primary choice is capable of achieving the required temperature?
Use the heat mat under approx 1/3rd of the enclosure, maybe up the temp 1 degree or so and thats it, job done.

Its 6 months old so its probably used to 24/7 heat so maintain that until spring finally arrives then gradually 'wean' it off the 24/7 heat down to around 12 hrs.

There is no need to provide 32 degrees throughout the enclosure if thats what you are trying to achieve. The animal needs the ability to thermoregulate so providing a 'hot end' or 'hot spot' of around 32-34 is fine but there must be 'cool' areas, in the low to mid 20's where the snake can get away from the heat. This is highly important in all species but with a jag my opinion is that this is critical as they can respond badly to excessive temps for extended periods of time.
[doublepost=1540079227][/doublepost]

Hi Paul's Pythons!
I've thought alot about heating requirements since your post and you are right about not smashing these guys with as much heat as we do.....it has made me re assess what is good and right for my carpets. I have read a number of your posts now and it is unnatural to not give them a break from high temps. It just does not happen in the wild and this is what we are trying to replicate is it not? I have a good heat gradient in my male carpet pythons enclosure from 36 under basking spot light to 22 on bottom level. Having said that...I also have a heat cord running in grid under the floor which reaches 32 on a quarter of floor space..this is a double storey enclosure that he can move about in to thermo regulate. I now have his spotlight on from 7 am till 11 am to heat up enclosure and give him the opportunity to bask but then , if he needs it he has the option of using heated area below once light turns off. Previously due to popular opinion, I had spotlight going for 12 hours per day!
My Caramel Jag now has basking spotlight on from 7 till 10 and then has belly heat of 32 form heat mat for rest of time, if she chooses. Her enclosure sits at a nice 25 and a half ambient temp during these nice spring days. I will probs turn off the heat during summer months coming from mid north coast of NSW. Thank you for a very wise opinion. Regards Louise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back