Piebald or Leucistic Snakes in OZ

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Barry Everet

Reaction score
AE8697F7-CF36-47E2-BE4D-1E2A5B7C26F9.jpeg Hi guy’s,

Just wondering if anyone knows of anyone, or any breeders with Piebald or Leucistics here in Australia? I’ve searched everywhere but have only seen a couple that had already sold, and one in a zoo. Photo attached.

Thanks!

The only breeder I know who was breeding pies was Snake Ranch but there not around anymore. I don't knoe about anyone else but maybe in a few years Peter Birch might have something

Both nice looking animals. I'm not sure but I thought a pied was a genetic mutation and a chimera was a fusion between 2 eggs or something along those lines making them not reproducible. Someone with more knowledge that me may be able to explain better

Both nice looking animals. I'm not sure but I thought a pied was a genetic mutation and a chimera was a fusion between 2 eggs or something along those lines making them not reproducible. Someone with more knowledge that me may be able to explain better
I think you might be right about that
Chimeras are sort of the same as paradox in that you can’t “reproduce” it

Unfortunately leucistic gene is lethal so far in carpets and they usually die in a couple of month :(

Chimera is a bonding of 2 embryo's in the early stages of development.
I believe both piebald and paradoxism to both be genetic traits. While the mode of inheritance may not be 100% clear my understanding is that these are being produced in numbers now and not as an unplanned event.

The 'chimera's referred to earlier on this thread I believe are actually pied but as Im not the breeder its just an opinion.

Chimeras are as Paul says, a fusion between two different embryos very early in development. If one of those is a leucistic Carpet, you can get a Carpet Python which is pied in a sense, but it's a completely different mechanism causing it and it isn't inherited by the offspring. 'Genetic pied' is almost always a simple recessive genetic condition. There are more rare forms of piebaldism. Traditionally, piebalds are any animal with unusual multicolours (it could be a black spot on a brown animal which is usually all brown, for example), but in modern herp usage, it's a genetic, generally Mendelian recessive condition resulting in white areas without pigment and some areas of pigment, usually normal pigment.

Just for fun, here are pictures of some of our chimeras over the last couple of seasons. We've produced quite a good number of them and some turn out quite beautiful. The single snake is one from last season which was mostly wildtype with small areas of marbled. It looked quite similar to the pair in the other picture, but with a much smaller area of pale colour. This male/female pair of chimeras hatched out approximately 50:50 in ration of wildtype to pale mutant colours, and we're very excited to see how it looks which it's the same age as the other one :) Most of last season's are sold so I won't post more pictures, but we'll definitely have more to share pictures of this year :)

In case anyone is confused, no, these are not 'genetic piebalds' in the normal sense used by herpers, they are something quite different.

'True' piebaldism is quite rare in reptiles, there are actually only a small handful of species of snakes with piebalds established in the whole world (Balls, Retics and a small number of others are established, a few more species have had them turn up but for various reasons they haven't ended up established and in the wider hobby), and so far there are no Australian species in the hobby.

chimera childreni pair.jpg Chimera childrens.jpg

Thanks for sharing your knowledge and pics sdaji. Do you mind sharing how you are repeatedly producing them is it in some way a genetic reproduction through a line of animals or do you believe it to be certain conditions that contribute to their reproduction or is it simple a random occurrence. forgive me for the lamen terms used

Thanks for sharing your knowledge and pics sdaji. Do you mind sharing how you are repeatedly producing them is it in some way a genetic reproduction through a line of animals or do you believe it to be certain conditions that contribute to their reproduction or is it simple a random occurrence. forgive me for the lamen terms used

We've produced quite a few now and I believe there's a... well, I'm staying quiet about my explanation at this stage, but yeah, I think I have a bit of a grasp on what's happening which is giving us a greater than expected number of chimeras. Here are pictures of a couple of my favourites from last year. The top one was my absolute favourite, I've seen pictures of her from after she was sold, and oh my goodness did she turn out spectacular! If what I believe to be the case is, there should be more chimeras in the incubator at the moment. If I'm correct, these particular chimeras we're producing should have a relatively reliable production of further chimeras, although outcrossing would likely destroy it.

Sorry for not giving further explanation. I have several reasons, including 25 years of being abused for sharing information which goes against common wisdom, then the abuse increasing when I'm proven right! Haha, it's all fun and games and I'm happy as long as I can keep applying my knowledge of genetics and creating beautiful animals <3

Double oh baby.jpg Double **** yeah.jpg

Ur obviously sucking the goop out of one egg and injecting it into another

CDFC5854-8500-4D78-834B-6E748F2B19B5.jpeg

Ur obviously sucking the goop out of one egg and injecting it into another

Please don't tell anyone my dark, hideous secret.

Oh, and don't tell them about me sucking out egg goop either. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back