ID of Carlia skink

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tropicbreeze

Reaction score
Having trouble IDing this skink. Believe it's Carlia munda but can't seem to get anything consistent off the internet. It was on the higher part of Mt Cook near Cooktown, Qld, in rocky terrain with pretty much closed canopy. Any help identifying it much appreciated, thanks.
ct120914112.jpg
ct120914113.jpg

I'm a newbie to the reptile hobby so I don't profess to be any expert, but if I had to put some money on the species I would guess a young female Black-throated rainbow-skink (carlia rostralis):
carliar80199dets.jpg

Suits the location, and the microhabitat and appears to match your photos:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/colonel_007/30027540048

About 70mm SVL

No worries tropicbreeze.

Yes that's okay sebiimams. This individual is an male out of breeding colouration or a female so it lacks the distinctive colouration for the species.
But still, it's very faded with ordinary markings on the upper shoulder. Carlia rostralis are never this faded plus a wavey-pattern and spots in this region.

As for other Carlia, they all look quite different to longipes except for sexdenata but that's quite far out of range being in Cooktown.

Hope that helps!

Thanks for that. That’s very useful to me! The key in Cogger seems to always need the skink in hand.

Latest posts

Back