Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scalie

Reaction score
Hey there. I'm wondering if anyone here with Varanus breeding experience can help me.

I have a 3-4 year old Varanus Melinus pair, been housed together since they were babies. They seem to go really well with each other, no fights or resource hogging at all over the years. However, they seem to refuse to breed.

No interest from the female or from the male at all. All their specs are covered: big enough viv, low noise/disturbance, high humidity and correct temps with big basking spot. They also have two dig boxes, a water tub big enough for both to submerge completely, and a heated high shelf with additional hides for climbing.

I'm totally lost here, next week I'll be taking the female for an ultrasound to determine her breeding stage atm, but so far both of their health checkups were excellent, no health issues at all.

Any idea how to attempt to get them going for some babies?

Are you sure they're sexed correctly? If so, you probably just have a disinterested male. It's a little late in the season now, usually if they were going to be bonking they'd start months earlier in the season.

try getting the female cycling, feed her all she can eat with blasting hot basking spots and you may encourage vitellogenesis followed by an ovulation event and male interest, if as Sdaji has already mentioned, they are sexed correctly and at size to breed.

Latest posts

Back