How's your internet lately ?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nuttylizardguy

Banned
Reaction score
My internet and landline have been much more unuseable than not the last few week, even worse than dialup was , and forget about making calls to NBN or BigPond to complain, the phone line wont stay connected long enough to even get to talk to human being .

So glad I have a dumb mobile phone , if I need to call 000 , I still can , i'd have no hope lately if I relied on the NBN connected landline.

They better be going to give us big rebates on our next few phone / internet bills , because we're definitely not be getting want we're paying through the nose and for the dubious privilege for.
I don't think 80% rebates will even cover this , that's how poor it's been here.

Being a squeeky wheel these days, I've made my feelings known to the local member of state parliament on this since it's proven impossible to reach Telstra or BigPond or NBN to get this fixed by an actual living local human being , all I've managed to get in touch with as been a talking machine which puts me on hold , and I then end disconnected and having restart the whole useless exercise.
[doublepost=1591430135,1587188213][/doublepost]So the tech guy from NBN came and checked out our cables and modem , and tidied them up a bit ( had some old cable extensions that came out of junction box on wall near floor that are no longer connected , used to go to Cordless phone in shed, in faxphone in study, phone in master bedroom, phone in kitchen + the main one to the old ADSL2 wireless modem and a line that went to the alarm wall panel and another that went to the old alarm console / box ).
Swapped over to all cordless phones with start of NBN and new alarm comms via G4 network , so only had the wireless phone master hub + NBN wireless modem and the faxmachine connected.
Said part of problem might have been the extensions that weren't terminating in a device with adequate resistance.

Checked upload and download speeds , and then headed off to do something at the node ( somewhere in the street ) came back and rechecked and found everything was in spec now.

So I ended up with a credit for the entire month and a bit , so last phone bill was next to nothing.

Had a couple of days since when Upload speeds were woeful, I think this is likely too many people on Skye , Facetime or other video style comms at the time , Speedtest was failing on Upload before completing even after a modem cold reboot.

Last edited:
I can only dream of those speeds
Only NBN available here is satellite, I pay for 25/12 but lucky to get 10/3 on a good day, evenings are 6/2 at best and can be 3/1 or worse and that's when it's working. It is also expensive unless you use it between 1:00 and 6:00 am.
I can get 50/15 using Telstra 4G but no estimates on availability of 5G which is currently more than 5k away with only rural properties in between.
An NBN cable goes up a main road 50 metres away from my boundary but I would have to pay for connection, probably about $30,000, NBN policy is satellite for rural areas.

I'm trying to delay the inevitable by not installing NBN untill they start to cut off my cable....

My 8year old CABLE system from foxtel/optus is working better than my neighbours NBN in terms of speed and reliability

9KW9pIt.png
these are my speeds at middle of day through an extender, Direct point is close to 80-90mbps, and peaks at 150mbps+

I had Telstra/Foxtel cable in Sydney and it was great but once NBN is "available" you cannot get any old systems connected and in my case available means satellite.

I'm on 50/20 NBN Fixed Wireless. Download is usually about 30-40. Upload is anywhere from 1-4.

Not long ago upload would of been 10-15. So yeah, upload speed has been drastically impacted. Which is unfortunate cause' I was just getting into streaming.

Aaah - the old 'Node lotto' strikes again. And here we were - promised better speeds as time went on and the coexistence period finished allowing 'better speeds', yet people are seeing speeds drop.

There are a few places where speed can be an issue:

Sync speed (FTTN)

This is the speed that your modem syncs to the node. (If you're on FTTN). Check your modem speeds. If they are close to the speed at which you're downloading and you have done everything to streamline the copper at your premises - this is what you're likely to be stuck with.

This is not NBN's fault - this is the copper line between the node and your premises which the government agreed to. Some people are lucky and get 100mb/s. Others get 25 (or even less) - it's all dependent on your distance from the node, hence the term 'node-lotto'

Node Speed Congestion

This is where the people on your node are demanding more than your node can deliver.

Unfortunately there isn't much you can do about this - this is NBN and they have to expand the node to fix the issue. Multiple complaints by residents connected to the same node may get some attention, but unlikely.

This affects almost all NBN connections, whether FTTN, FTTP/H or FW.

ISP Congestion

This is widespread - and is fixable by the customer, and most ISP's don't want clients to know about this. Your ISP buys bandwidth off the NBN. They may buy say 1GB of bandwidth for your area. Cheaper ISP's (or those trying to get more cream) will buy less than is needed, and thus get congestion further upstream as you route through their services as there is a higher demand there.

As an example (not realistic, but to illustrate) - think about an ISP who buys 1GB (as an example). They have 100 customers on the 1GB they've bought. All customers have signed up (and have available to them a 100mb/s connection) At any one time, the average customer is using up 1MB/s doing web browsing, streaming music and so forth. They're running well under capacity, and if someone jumps on and demands 100mb/s - they get it.

Then comes evening time and people want to watch netflix, etc. At this point all the customers are demanding more (want their 100mb/s connection) - but this isn't possible. Everyone gets around 10mb/s. You're paying for 100mb connection but because of their budgeting - you don't get it.

Some ISP's are very upfront about this (and you can see at what capacity their systems are running at live) - to see if they are getting near congestion or not (AussieBroadband is a good example of this). Pricing may be a little higher than other ISP's, but that's because they budget for the high demands, and not the mean average. If you're on a budget ISP and you're getting great sync speeds - you could have a node speed congestion issue, but you could also have an ISP congestion issue. Node speed you can't change - but it may be worth giving a more reputable ISP a go just to see if it makes a difference.

This again affects all NBN connections, whether FTTN, FTTP/H or FW.

I'm on 50/20 NBN Fixed Wireless. Download is usually about 30-40. Upload is anywhere from 1-4.

Not long ago upload would of been 10-15. So yeah, upload speed has been drastically impacted. Which is unfortunate cause' I was just getting into streaming.

Unfortunately I can't get NBN Fixed Wireless, they will not be offering it in my area and we are designated as a rural area serviced by satellite. What happened to the NBN promise of high speed broadband in rural areas to assist business?

My landline modem ( connects to the Node via the phone ancient copper phone cable ) and connects to my computers and other devices by 5G wireless , with default back to 4G for devices a long way away , I never seen my telescope control laptop connect at 4G , only ever 5G even at the most distant spot in my backyard ( where I sometimes set up the big Richfield astrograph and vixen New ATLUX on a tripod to get my lower western sky , ie when I'm trying to observe or image faint comets ).
That would make the range of my modem's 5G wireless ( M<-->Computer) at least 40m .

48/16 just now , and it's quite congested , I usually get a bit higher UL speed. Wee small hrs must be popular I guess.

Last edited:
My landline modem ( connects to the Node via the phone ancient copper phone cable ) and connects to my computers and other devices by 5G wireless , with default back to 4G for devices a long way away , I never seen my telescope control laptop connect at 4G , only ever 5G even at the most distant spot in my backyard ( where I sometimes set up the big Richfield astrograph and vixen New ATLUX on a tripod to get my lower western sky , ie when I'm trying to observe or image faint comets ).
That would make the range of my modem's 5G wireless ( M<-->Computer) at least 40m .

48/16 just now , and it's quite congested , I usually get a bit higher UL speed. Wee small hrs must be popular I guess.

Just for clarification?

Are you saying that other devices connect via 5Ghz wireless (not 5G the new mobile), and that you have a fall back to 4G (known as next-G by Telstra) - or are your home devices actually connecting via the public 4G and 5G protocols? (5G as in 'gen' and not ghz)?

Unfortunately I can't get NBN Fixed Wireless, they will not be offering it in my area and we are designated as a rural area serviced by satellite. What happened to the NBN promise of high speed broadband in rural areas to assist business?

My BB is in an area that's still waiting for the NBN , he's really pissed off because 100m away in the very next street , it's been in place since Xmas last year. So he has two choices :
> keep on using ADSL2+ connected to his phone line
or
> use his smart phone as his 4G connection to the internet and connect that to his computer
BUT
he can afford satellite NBN but is too much of a tight **** , hell he collects empty cans and bottles when he goes for his daily walk to the beach or to visit his idiot pisspot mates despite telling everyone he's a multimillionaire now ( but is a cash poor asset rich one ), calls it his beer money..

My BSister is a hobby mixed farmer in the hinterland of the Sunshine Coast and tells me no NBN in her valley at all, she's getting Satellite broadband, and apparently NBN isn't scheduled for her place for a long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back