Is my Stent's Birdeater dead or moulting??

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyle757

Reaction score
Hey,

I received my tarantula from Brendan (which was very helpful), and about 1hour and a half ago Mum came up to school to get me. Now when I got back I set up the enclosure and everything. It was in an upright position curled up (which I got worried about because I know that's the death position).
I think the tarantula may have flipped over when i was placing the bandage with the spider in it, in it's enclosure... I thought i was dead so i slightly toughed its leg with some tweasers and its leg moved slightly and I am very sure it is just molting but I'd like to make sure anyway. It is only tiny (approx 1cm). It hasn't been moving since i placed it in there, i have left it in there with the bandage.

Thanks, Kyle.

Wouldn't have a clue, give it some time and see what happens. maybe stressed and playing dead?

Yeah, it could be stressed, I'm pretty sure it's molting though because I've just got back from school and it's still like that. I touched it's leg again with the tweasers and it moved its legs again so it's definitely not dead. I hope it's not stuck in a molt, but the bandage was damp and I've misted the enclosures and the soil has been dampened aswell so i have no idea...

Oh, it has actually shed its skin, i couldn't tell because it was actually sitting on top if it. How long will it take to flip back over and start exploring its enclosure? I really want to get some pics of it before it decides to hide lol.

I actually don't know if it's shed its skin. It's so hard to tell. How long does it take for a spiderling to harden after a molt, or how long after it turns over before a molt will it actually shed it's skin? It doesn't move unless it is touched by the tweasers, and I know not to disturb it while it's molting, I just wanted to make sure it was alive. Might it be stuck? I have misted the enclosure a fair bit, and when I was preparing the enclosure I added water to the substrate so there shouldn't be any worries towards the humidity.

i know when we bought ours that the guy said oh if u think its dead dont try touching it or getting it out because they go on there backs and look dead as anything when there moulting or shedding or what ever u want to call it

i dont no how long it takes to be honest i havent seen mine do it yet does the body of it look shrivveld up?

it will start moving as soon as it gets some strength back, it is a very stressfull time for your spider so LEAVE IT BE! i cant tell you that enough, alot of people cant leave them alone once they moult but they can die very easily in this weakened state. I just had my 13cm crassipes moult and i took pics but that was after she was able to walk around again. Give it half an hour or an hour and it should be fine to get a photo of. I had one of my un-identified slings moult today and she was sitting on her moult just before as i was watching. And btw, no need to soak the substrate just keep it damp, not wet. Hope i helped a little, any more questions just ask.

Thanks, but it hasn't even molted yet. It's in the molting position but not moving one bit. I had a look at it and took note of how it's legs were positioned, then about half an hour to an hour later I checked again and it was still the same. I have absolutely no idea what's going on. Would it be stressed enough as to feign death? Or could it have something wrong (I doubt it, it IS from Brendan after all.)

It doesnt matter who its from, it could still be diseased, or had something wrong with it or been bashed around in the post or been to stressed and be dying. Like i said before, leave it alone in a dark spot, dont shake its container dont get it out, dont poke it just leave it alone. To many people cant help themselves and wanna check on em all the time, there not a handling or touching animal. They stress out, and if you have ever read anything about tarantulas you will know to leave them alone in the dark while moulting as there in a very fragile state at that point. I have just had 2 more moult today and there both fine because i leave them alone, and if you have only just made a home for it then its not gonna hide cause it cant dig a burrow in an hour so leave it be for now until later. Btw, i have never in my experience keeping Theraphosids experienced one feign death, they sometimes curl up while sittin there but if they get touched or bumped they either attack or bolt for it.

Righto, thanks. But it hasn't been 1 hour, its more like 10 now, I know i shouldn't be doing stuff, it just worries me. I'm not actually poking it or picking it up, all i have done is set up its enclosure, take the bandage that it was in out of the small container and place it extremely carefully down in the enclosure and left it, and touched its leg a couple of times to make sure its not dead. I'm not doing anything anymore, I've just been checking on it now and then. By dark do you mean like night time dark? Or just blind closed away from sunlight? Sorry, this is just my first time and i really hate to see things suffer. I'm just hoping it's a slow moult and nothing else but yeah, I just need to make sure it's ok.

Everything is ok, I'm guessing it was just in shock. Thanks for the help guys!

thats good news.
they can be quite touchy, as long as they are warm and humid they usually come good.
after getting some in the mail yesterday i found 2 dead this morning. the stress of posting is a problem, especially if it isnt marked on the package in large red nikko the postie will move it around alot getting to other stuff. and i find if they are in the death pose all arms crunched up that you have very little time to get them comfortable without loss.

My last one died when we moved house and went into a much hotter and dryer climate. I kept it misted and all the things you normally do, but after 4 days or so in the new house she died.
Does moving cause stress too, i would assume so. I miss that evil bitey spider.

Midnight, it was probably the heat that killed your spider, they may come from hotter habitats but they live underground in deep burrows where they can regulate there temperature alot better then they can in a tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back