How to breed blue tongue lizards

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WELOVEREPTILES

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi guys i was wondering if anyone had experience in breeding blue tounge lizards do you need to cool them down and separate the pair from the other lizards also is it a easy job and how much babys do they have also how old do they have to be to breed and does anyone have any male blocthed blue tongues or any female eastern blue tongue Thanks

Hey there. I have had a trio of blotched bluies for 14 years now. From my experience with these I'll answer your questions.

You do need to cool them, I find the easiest way to do this is to keep them outside. I live in Melbourne and it gets very cold but they thrive! This natural cycle in seasons lets them breed naturally.

I keep my 3 ( male and 2 females) together year round. They don't need to be seperated all year and only introduced when breeding. After cooling the males have a strong urge to mate. Mating is VERY aggressive and anyone would think they are trying to kill each other. The poor females will come away scarred and bloody. Mine usually mate around November.

Average number of babies ranges from 5-11 babies in my experience. It seems now she is older she is having fewer babies. The females usually breed every other year but I have had them breed every year on occasion.

So basically keep them outside. Offer no additional heating. They will go through the process of breeding all by themselves. Easy! Just bring the babies inside when they are born and feed them up over the first winter.

Hope this helps!

Hey there, i agree with Jay84 although keeping them outside is not essential. Mine live inside and bred last year for the first time, they would have been about 2yrs old. I cooled them but have never separated them. Just turned the thermostat down for winter and let them do their thing.

breeding BTS

HiHave been breeding bluetongues and their morphs for 15 years,all kept inside a temperature controlled environment, no UV ever. Oldest female 22 years and still producing nice young. Cool them from may onwards down to 15 C and keep all in separate cages. Females are very dominant so introduce male to female enclosure. I both breed normally and artificially inseminate. Gestation is 101 days so mine mate on 4 september drop on 22 dec. Always a nice Christmas present.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back