Staph infections?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sensations

Not so new Member
Reaction score
OK for all those in health care (or other wise) could you spare me a minute or three?

Now a situation has come up at work, Staph! Now a work mate has been tested positive for staph and it has come back positive. Her hubby is currently in hospital (intensive care unit due to staph) liver has shut down and all the rest, heart so forth as the infection has entered the blood stream. Now because of the situation we work in we are all advised to keep a close eye out for the same (skin) due to burns, I believe it thrives in burns. Can/will this cross infect to reptiles? Could I unknowingly bring this home to my lizards? So far two people at work are infected and just waiting on blood test ATM, we are now waiting one the exact strain and how to deal with it. In the mean time should I keep well away from my lizards can I pass it on? Thanks for your time.

Paula

Not only burns, but it thrives where there are open wounds. I remember the nightmare I had when my Dad came home from hospital with MRSV, the golden staph infection he'd copped in the hospital, AND, my hubby had to have minor surgery to replace his pacemaker....................... nursing the two of them, and changing dressings, etc was a nightmare!!!!!!! We managed to get through and keep hubby clear, but it wasn't pleasant!

As for cross infection, not sure, but as it is spread through open wounds, unless your reptiles have open wounds, if it is as with humans, then its probably not likely.

Not only burns, but it thrives where there are open wounds. I remember the nightmare I had when my Dad came home from hospital with MRSV, the golden staph infection he'd copped in the hospital, AND, my hubby had to have minor surgery to replace his pacemaker....................... nursing the two of them, and changing dressings, etc was a nightmare!!!!!!! We managed to get through and keep hubby clear, but it wasn't pleasant!

As for cross infection, not sure, but as it is spread through open wounds, unless your reptiles have open wounds, if it is as with humans, then its probably not likely.

I really don't know how you dealt with it, must had driven you mad! In my case it is a very short drive. I have bits and pieces off me every where and could or has entered any one of many. I now have very red and angry scatches and burns as well as a splitting headache no real temp as yet. I just hope it is the normal cold that's going around.

Reptiles have no wounds as far as I know but I have handled them since this has come up (without knowing) if any one could enlighten me that would be great.

Dipcdame thanks!
It really is nasty I hope never to see it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back