I Want To Catch Crabs

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PhilK

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Now that the hilarious title has your attention, I have some questions about crabbing.

My mate told me I could buy 4 crab pots from BCF for something like $25. I like the sound of that, and have always wanted to give it a shot.

Any crabbers out there? I have a lot of questions:
1. How can I tell where good spots are? Mangroves, river banks etc I assume.
2. What different type of baits do the different crabs go for? As in muddies, sandies etc
3. What are the rules? I can look up size restrictions but males/females etc? I am in Qld.
4. How do I get the crab from the pot? Grab from behind?
5. How many pots can I have out at once, what info do they need on them?
6. Best way to kill a crab?

I'm Googling too but I wanted some info from real people!

Any other advice is greatly appreciated, and feel free to post photos of any crabs!
Thanks a lot!

"feel free to post photos of any crabs"... asking for it, aren't ya, lol

well i was going to be smart and say when two people have sex and one has crabs then they will pass it to the other person and itch the hell out of you LOL. sorry i cant be of any help never went crabing here in qld only in newcastle

Hmmm best place to catch crabs...

My tip..Just look for that dodgy drunk chick thats slumped in the back of a dark dingy pub

surrounded by feral men :p

1/ Do you have a boat? It is a lot easier to get into the tight spot for muddies.
2/ Any fish head will be good for bait.
3/ you should be able to find size requirements and bag limits on the net.
4/ With muddies have a small stick handy (10 cms long as thick as a finger), let the crab grab the stick, then grab the crab, I tape their claws shut.
5/ not sure on the pot limit, once again check the net.
6/ Dont kill the crabs, must cook them alive, tape claws shut, Keep them in a foam box with a wet towl.

Last christmas at the hawksbury, i got a blue swimmer, and a mudcrab.
I put the mud crab pot right up in the muddy mangroves, and the blue swimmer in the river, about ten meters away from a sandbar.
to get it out of the net, i had to try and stay away from the nippers, and untangle it.
To kill it we put it in a pot of boiling water.
A pic of the catch and the spot, im going back to that spot in 2 weeks, cant wait

Attachments

• Image010.jpg
    Image010.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 147
  • Image009.jpg
    Image009.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 210
  • Image008.jpg
    Image008.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 195
I use witches hat nets for Blue Swimmers, don't know the regs for QLD, can have 5/person in NSW. One regulation I'm sure would be the same or similar is to have your name & address on the float. I use fish frames from stuff I've caught, usually flatties, tailor, Aus salmon etc etc for bait. I drop them in sandy areas with broken weed patches. I put them in the freezer for a while to kill them (don't let them freeze!). I don't boil them whole anymore, I did a chilli crab & salt & pepper crab cooking course at the Sydney Seafood School (Pyrmont fishmarkets, totally worth it for all you Sydney people!) & do them like that when I'm lucky enough to bring home some tasty BSCs. Good luck, there's been some cracker BSCs around down here lately.

Good cheap bait is a can of tuna/cat food with a couple of small holes in it
U guys in QLD are lucky, where i live i have to line catch them
Rule of thumb for catching muddies/blue swimmers is muddies in mangrove creeks and estuaries and B'swimmers in harbors and deeper water
Although you can catch the odd few out of these ares
Another thing now is the time of year to b doing it as they arent as common during winter

If u dont catch any keep persisting as they can be affected by fresh rain water
so just keep a pot out their throw some burley round the trap (just a little )
and u cant go wrong
Me and my mate used to get 6 crabs on average out of 2 pots daily using cat food cans ( in Bundyberg )
One ,ore thing alot of peeps steel ur crabs so what i do is weigh the rope attached to the pot under water and tie some strong fishing line to the end of it and tie that to the shore

i catch these guys by hand whilst free diving

Crab,+BlueSwimmer_Portunuspelagicus%28rajungan%29.jpg

and in QLD your best bet for fishing info will be Frequently asked questions about recreational fishing in Queensland

1/ Do you have a boat? It is a lot easier to get into the tight spot for muddies.
2/ Any fish head will be good for bait.
3/ you should be able to find size requirements and bag limits on the net.
4/ With muddies have a small stick handy (10 cms long as thick as a finger), let the crab grab the stick, then grab the crab, I tape their claws shut.
5/ not sure on the pot limit, once again check the net.
6/ Dont kill the crabs, must cook them alive, tape claws shut, Keep them in a foam box with a wet towl.

yep, pretty much it, cept we usually "sleep them" in the fridge (car fridge on the way home ususally) then straight into the pot, unless you cook them striaght away after catching...

edit... Pot limit in QLD is 4 pots per person I believe, doesn't hurt to double check though....

I wouldn't mind catching a few mud crabs myself, but most of the spots that are good around here are national parks so I don't think we are allowed to catch them there, though people often do it anyway. another fun thing to catch is yabbies, me and a mate went catching them in a creek up in the mountains, we didn't use traps though, we just lifted a few rocks in the creek and the yabbies would swim out, the large ones go in burrows, so we mostly got smaller ones, they are very nice, we just kept them alive and boiled some water, put a bit of salt in and chucked them in live, I have heard once they die they are not safe to eat, could someone please tell me if that is true? sorry for getting this thread off track a bit if I did.

if you go crabbing in a protected zone and get caught, the fisheries officers have the power to take EVERYTHING that you used to aquire the crabs, so be nice lol, cause if they want to they can take your pots, boat and even your car... AND issue oyu with a fine... so make sure you look up where the protected zones are... they're usually signed very well tough...

yes I havn't attempted to catch them there yet, was just curious if I was allowed to, might have to find somewhere else. no signage though where I know of people going, I have seen old traps around and people go fishing there so I always thought it was legal. can you catch crabs by hand or with spear? thanks.

Thanks for all the great info guys! Big help. I'm off to Theodore now for a fortnight of beef prac, but I'd be pretty keen to buy a few crab pots when I get back as a little Chrissy present for myself.

Recommendations on the best type of pot, and/or best place to buy from? (Quality, price etc)

I've put these pics up before but here we go again:D
I just use a rod and reel loaded with 6lb line and a peeled prawn :lol: Total fluke i know and i'll never repeat it but it tasted so goood

Ben

Attachments

• DSC00509.jpg
    DSC00509.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 123
  • DSC00520.jpg
    DSC00520.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 151
I've put these pics up before but here we go again:D
I just use a rod and reel loaded with 6lb line and a peeled prawn :lol: Total fluke i know and i'll never repeat it but it tasted so goood

Ben

Nice catch:D

I go crabbing all the time champ here in Darwin i can't help you on the legal aspects but i recon i am the bomb digedy when it comes to finding the mongrels.

I'll start with places that work best.

Any mangrove estuary has the potential to hold crabs but what i have found works best is a tidal inlet that gets cut off from the ocean at low tide that does not get large ammounts of fresh water runnning through it at any time of the year. If i could work out how to take the pictures off google earth i'd show you pictures of what i mean.

I recon that the smaller the inlet the better. I have never done well for crabs in the larger river systems, which could be because they are over fished but i think the crabs just prefer the cover the smaller inlets offer.

Ok once you have found where you are gonna crab where you put your pots is the next most important thing. What works for me is placeing your pots into the drains that come out of the mangroves, i start by placeing them at the foot of the drain and move them up with the tide. I also find pot placement within the drain very important, i like to have the pot faceing the same direction as the drain and the bottom of the pot needs to be sitting in the mud other wise the crabs crawl underneath and have a chew of your bait without going inside.

Aswell as the snake drains when there is a sharp edge in the mangroves instead of a sloping bank you will often find crab holes just underneath the mangrove roots. If you can find the holes and put ur pots near as possible to them you will also catch crabs, this is where i manage to catch most of my biggest bucks.

Now bait. I find that fish carcasses work best but if you don't have any just go to leonard chicken and get some chicken peices, as long as there are bones in it they should work fine.

To get the crabs out of the pots i just open the pot and tip them into an eski with ice and some mangrove leaves (the leaves calm them down and stop them fighting each other) i don't bother tieing them, too hard in a little boat. If you manage to catch a red mud crab be careful, they are psychotic little things and although they taste delicious they will destroy all the other crabs in your eski. To kill them ice water works well but what i often do is flip them over pull back that little flappy thing and push a knife up toward their mouth, instant dead crab.

Oh and another little tip, throw your pot ropes up into the mangroves. It makes them easier to find and stops the tide from dragging your pots away.

Thanks for all the great info guys! Big help. I'm off to Theodore now for a fortnight of beef prac, but I'd be pretty keen to buy a few crab pots when I get back as a little Chrissy present for myself.

Recommendations on the best type of pot, and/or best place to buy from? (Quality, price etc)

Don't get those round ones, just the rectangle cheap ones will do you fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back