'proper' Blue tree snake

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dottyback

Reaction score
I have had this one for a long time now. its grown well and just had a shed
and is looking its best so i took some photo's. I feed mostly freshwater fingerling
rainbow trout, Trout have all the good stuff like Omega 3 fatty acids and other good stuff,
I wonder if it helps with health and colour?

bluey3.jpg

bluey1.jpg

wow i never knew there are blue snakes !!! man that is amazing !!! best snake ive ever seen ! :D

One of the best i've seen pics of for sure. would be interesting to know what the difference is comparable to one that is fed only mice. do you have to worm it often?

Looking great Dotty, and looking very healthy. Where do you get your trout from? A mate of mine had a nice blue one, though it sadly was another victim of goldfish poisoning...

Thank you peoples!

Looking great Dotty, and looking very healthy. Where do you get your trout from? A mate of mine had a nice blue one, though it sadly was another victim of goldfish poisoning...

I get them from a trout farm on the out skirts of Melbourne: fishfarm.com.au

Having played around with different foods and learning from peoples experience, I came to the conclusion that trouts are the best food, Goldfish get sick easily and having seen and heard about the nasty medications they used to treat goldfish my theory is it is in the blood of the goldfish and gets transfered to the Snake. (Copper sulphate is one of those medications) The trout are fed human grade feed so the feed they get fed is of a high quality not like the cheap and nasty food goldies get fed! The only problem is keeping the trout, the temp cant be above 20.c. I have set up a tank with a chiller for holding the trout. some but not all of my tree's will eat defrosted from tongs.

Cheers,
Ben

Can you get Brown Trout? as they handle slightly warmer water than Rainbows (Rainbows being Salmonoids and Browns being "true trout" )

Can you get Brown Trout? as they handle slightly warmer water than Rainbows (Rainbows being Salmonoids and Browns being "true trout" )

i think you'll find its the other way around with the heat side of things this is why most farm dams have rainbows insted of browns they are more heat and water tolarant

i think you'll find its the other way around with the heat side of things this is why most farm dams have rainbows insted of browns they are more heat and water tolarant

No, Browns can handle water a couple of degrees higher than rainbows. The reason why rainbows are more popular is that they grow much faster and are generally happier to adjust to "dam life" .In Tasmania there are also legal restrictions on what can be stocked in a private dam. I have caught rather healthy fat little brown in a river that was so warm the rainbow had to school up in a junction of a cold mountain stream (creek), 50 sick rainbow trout with patchy skin, and you could (and we did) swim all through them, jump off rocks into the school, and they could not leave the cold water and just reform around you. The browns were not there at all and were all over the rest of the river and were in perfect health and actively eating, the rainbow clearly weren't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back