Having wisdom teeth out-what to expect?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sarah_m

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
After putting it off for the last 18months I have finally organised to have my wisdom teeth removed on the 17th(cos they are killing me!)
I have never had any operation before and am pretty nervous about going into hospital and having the general.

Would love to hear from anyone who has had this done, just so I know what to expect in terms of post op swelling/bruising/bleeding, pain, recovery time etc.
Thanks

depends how bad your wisdom teeth are....witch way they are growing ...mine where so so so bad..had to get jaw cut etc...hospital part was easy...getting knocked out and waking up ...easyer! some people where chucking and sounding like they where dying...soon as i came to i called the old man and got the F out of dodge :) lol
The being at home was alot better..but now the fun starts with no eating etc...lost heaps of weight couldnt eat or do anything for a week min! was so so so bad ..board out of my brain and sooo hungry but cant eat ...
the drugs you get to take home are pretty hardcore ( well mine where ) had no clue what i was doing when i was on them...start a movie with Gf and blink once and the cradits where on ...I was like WATTTTTT lol
but sorry to say the whole thing sucked big time!

more of less what Benny said in a nutshell hahahahahhahahahahahahah

I have to get mine out too sarah! But its gonna cost me $2500.00 as i have to go to hospital, they cant do it in the chair!!!!

I'm getting mine done in the next 2 years... general for me. Whoopeee.......

If you're having the general you'll be sweet as. You'll wake up dosed with morphine and oxygen and be off your head for a few hours lol. I had mine out under a local and felt nothing really, but it was weird feeling the grinding as my teeth came out. Especially when she really hauled.

I had mine out under general - just expect a bit of pain, and make people buy you icecream. You'll swell up and look stupid for a few days, but it's nothing hideous. Good luck!

Local anaesthetic if you can, some mild, dull pain for a cpl days, & slight swelling on that side of your face for cpl days.
Eating can be difficult, but I was lucky, only had them out on one side (top & bottom) which left the other side free for chewing. Saline washes & Panadeine for a few days, then it's all good. Oh, & most likely you'll be on a short course of antibiotics. Mine was growing horizontally forwards, haha the xray looked good. Had to cut the tooth into sections for extraction.

a friend of mine had her's done last year and in the way of bruising, it looked like someone had got a baseball bat and used her face as practice. in her words 'i feel like i've been hit by a semi then beaten with a baseball bat' but it depends on each persons ability to tolerate pain. high pain thershold it'll be a walk in the park
really low you'll probably be spewing your guts up from the pain and need awesome pain killers like Vicodin or Valium or morphine! i've had one pulled and panadol did the trick, my pain threshold is stupidly high though!

I have to get mine out too sarah! But its gonna cost me $2500.00 as i have to go to hospital, they cant do it in the chair!!!!

I wish mine was only going to cost that! Mine is going to be $3500+!!! I am getting it done in hospital cos they have to remove a bit of bone on one side. Hope I dont swell up too badly, I have to work the following Wednesday.

Ezekiel- Am living on soup and smoothies as it is cos of how bad they are, and have already lost 2kg. If I lose a bit of weight in the process then the might just be worth it.

I am at the moment in recovery, went to hospital under general had jaw shaved back and then they had to cut tooth down the middle and extract each half I went out herping the next day. I had more discomfort with the other two I had extracted in the chair. Most importantly keep up the oral hygiene post op, if you get slack with that it can cause a lot of grief. Still cost me a grand with health insurance.

I had 4 out, no bruising and was cruising around the shops later that night :lol: ....oh I had to eat ice-cream though...it was so terrible!! :lol: :lol:

I had a mate come over to gloat, because he'd had a few of his out that year and he did look like he'd been set-upon by a biker-gang....he was extremely disappointed to see me, and even questioned if I'd had it done :p

Oh.......good luck ;) :D

yeah its nothing to stress about i had a realy bad wisdom tooth grow funny it hurt like all hell when ever i bumped it trust me it will feel soooo much better once you have been to the dentist

it will feel soooo much better once you have been to the dentist

I know, they are so painful I am struggling to find a comfortable position to sleep in. I will be happy once it is over, but right now I am stressed about the general anesthetic.
Though the ice cream sounds good!

I am in the same boat, need to get 4 of mine surgically removed too and am also fretting over the anaesthetic esp given my health and body have been through a lot over the past few years. Hopefully it won't kill me :lol:

I had all 4 taken out at once, bottom two were impacted. Done in day surgery under general anaesethitic. You can expect a fair amount of pain. Pretty sure I just had Panadeine forte for the pain, as well as some anti-inflamatory and anti-biotics. You should wake up with a cold pack strapped to your jaw. I used a cold pack on and off for the first two/three days, can't really remember the ratio of on/off but would say that I had it on more than off. It helped heaps with the swelling to the point where I really didn't have much swelling at all.
I had a mate from work have the same thing done two weeks later with the same surgeon, his face blew up like a balloon. I'm pretty sure after talking to him that he didn't use a cold pack any where near as much as I did.

Also, you had better develop an appetite for pureed food. I went through quite a lot of the pureed apple tubs from the supermarket. Strawberry and raspberry flavours in particular.

I (Scott) had the wisdom teeth remove about 6years ago.

From what i remember, i never got general. I was in the chair under local and can still remember (and being intrigued) by the sound of my teeth ripping away from my gum... "this should be hurting" is what i was thinking as i sat there for 1hr getting all 4 out in the one session. There was a point where they didnt put enough local in so had to top up mid pain moment.

Afterwards I was meant to have pain killers, but because they had to top up the local, my tongue went numb. So swallowing the tablet was nigh on impossible lol. So first 36hrs i had no pain relief >< i felt like a vampire too, the taste blood.

I also recall being told to try and not get food in the holes and so, i stupidly bought a chicko roll and while I was at Penny's house, it took me about 2hrs to finish it after i was nibbling on it LOL.

Good times, cant remember how much it was - mum paid lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back