Cane toads lose their killer touch in east Australia

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good news for omnivores. Shame king browns dont fang a few vegies!

i catch em and give em to my mate
he feeds em to his keelback

If you are legit (and i'm not sure that you are) i would be interested to know if the keelback is currently healthy. Keelbacks can survive the bufo toxin but it is not good for them, large doses still kill the animal.

That's good for blue tongues..not sure how big a part of a blue tongues diet is made up of cane toads though...

Frogs make up part of their diet so toads would definatley be in there. And the numbers of bluetongues around Darwin dropped dramatically when the toads turned up. I only recall seeing one after the toads arrived.

That's good for blue tongues..not sure how big a part of a blue tongues diet is made up of cane toads though...

Interesting...wonder if their is any difference between acquired resistance to a venom and acquired resistance to a poison.

Good to hear, those annoying toads are a massive problem...
I saw an enclosure at the Australian Reptile Park with 2 of them (For educational purposes), they LITERALLY sat in the EXACT SAME position for the whole day I was there! (I kept on coming back to look at the mertens.)

That's amazing :)

Yes, it is. Blue tongue lizards can swim?

Fishunter already said it, but I just can't imagine a bluey swimming. Then again, the distance they had to cover was only 50 centimetres.

Last edited:
they could take the research further by testing predators in the area that prey on the blue tongues to see if they show any resilience to the cane toad toxin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back