Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

montysrainbow

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hi all, i am thinking about getting a 2nd snake however im wanting something Big (i already have a stimson) anyway my question is would i be better to get a young one or an adult one? or does it really not matter? is it just personal choice? i am thinking young one however an instant BIG one would be nice. I would like a coastal carpet python. Any advice/opinions welcome thanks! :)

I am Coastal mad I have 2 yearlings and a 2.5 year old(she is 1.6m)I love them for their beauty, bombproofedness(Snake for Dummies/me) and they are so darn placid. Why not go to the for sale forum there are usually older ones for sale there. Olive pythons are big too and a lovely placid snake(most times I am told) Did I mention how GREAT COASTALS are???? ;)

Depends if you're comfortable handling a big snake, including when it may not be a happy crappy,

Or if youd prefer to get comfortable with its size by watching it grow.

I say go young. Being your second snake you can both "grow" together. I did that with my big snake Malachi. You learn their personality when they are small and you can safely handle them. I'd hate to buy a persons Big Problem! That's just my experience

Hi MontysRainbow, heres my personal experience.

my first snake i got was a 6ft jungle, i was terrified of her!! she was a lovely girl, but very cage defensive. i ended up so scared of her that i nearly decided i didnt want to keep snakes. I sold her on as soon as the 6months was up. I then got a hatchy md, which lead to a hatchy jungle, hatchy diamond and then a yearling woma!

i have enjoyed watching them grow and change, and learning how to read their moods.

JMO, but id go for a hatchy or a yearling.

my 2nd snake is a NT woma that is 4 years old and 6ft.....go figure...

I bought my diamond from interstate when she was around 3.5-4foot in length, not too big not too small. She is now 5 foot and I feel MUCH more comfortable with her than I would have if I got her at that size - as she is my first "big" snake.

You don't necessarily have to get a hatchy again, but perhaps something in the "mid-range" size, that will grow bigger with age :)

I bought my diamond from interstate when she was around 3.5-4foot in length, not too big not too small. She is now 5 foot and I feel MUCH more comfortable with her than I would have if I got her at that size - as she is my first "big" snake.

You don't necessarily have to get a hatchy again, but perhaps something in the "mid-range" size, that will grow bigger with age :)

I agree with tarafritz. I bought my beautiful BHP at subadult size (hes just under 2 metres and 3 years old) I was scared of him at first, but then, becuase he wasnt TOO big, I got used to him pretty quick. He still has a lot of growing left with me, which is exciting... But hes deffs past the hatchling-yearling stage which entitles all my other snakes!

Just make sure you pick a snake if its a slightly bigger, with a GREAT attidute, therefor you will be happy with size and comfortable with him/her... therefore they are comfortable with you :)
HEY PRESTO - best friends.

:)

TreeHugger Out

thanks! i have decided i will aim for a small one and watch it grow. I am a beginner after all and im used to Monty lol he's tiny! in saying that though i could always get a few dif sizes lol crystalmoon. Im actually spewing because there was a freebie coastal carpet python on here that went to someone else yesterday...i will have to check out the for sale on here. The Huge ones do look awsum but in saying that im not sure if i could see myself snuggled up on the couch with 1 just yet. :)

thanks! i have decided i will aim for a small one and watch it grow. I am a beginner after all and im used to Monty lol he's tiny! in saying that though i could always get a few dif sizes lol crystalmoon. Im actually spewing because there was a freebie coastal carpet python on here that went to someone else yesterday...i will have to check out the for sale on here. The Huge ones do look awsum but in saying that im not sure if i could see myself snuggled up on the couch with 1 just yet. :)

My advice would be that if you do end up getting a larger python - check it out first. You don't want your first big snake to be a cranky bugger.
I am very lucky that my diamond is as friendly as she is - she flew in from SA and I had the sellers word that she was placid. Luckily she is - but if she was in my area I still would have gone to check her out. I'm sure whatever you end up getting you will love! :)

Holy Dooly Joemal your snakes remind me of a movie i watched as a kid lol it was called Tremors - gorgeous snakes but freaking HUGE lol :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back