Quick Advice Please First Woma Yes/No????

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trouta

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys and Girls
Have the opportunity to buy my first Woma tommorrow
I own a 3yo MD which ive had for a year and a bit
Looking at buying my first Woma tommorrow its 2yo
Can i please have some Pros and Cons should i do it or not
Really asking the Woma community
Girlfriend very concerned has never touched my MD but has a nice relationship between to 2 of them between the glass and at times has been very brave at times
1 person we no had Woma and was bitten
Owner of current Woma whom ive dealt with with her professional collection and tanks ive bought of her before tagged as well
MD has never bitten me, but i understand i will get my first ever tag from a snake owning this Woma, lol
Ive read up on them and another amazing snake never knew about much of there characteristics, burrowing eats other snakes and lizards and eat vens as well.
Im reading a lot of positives but also tags
Ok guys should i do it or not
Girlfriend just concerned about the bad rep she has heard of of biting and doesnt want an agrresive snake in the house
Thoughts please :)

All snakes bite! It's what they do! Woma's are an awesome snake though.

if your missus is worried, why dont you start of with a hatchy?

Last edited:
Highly recommend getting one, so much personality and quirky behaviours. They love their tucker and as a result if they smell food or if you handle them at the usual feeding time ie in the evening you might get tagged but as soon as they realise food isn't on offer they are puppy dogs

My 3 yr old plays with ours, granted its only a yearling. he has only struck once and that was through the glass when i had just moved him into his new enclosure.

I cant say that I have hard of an "aggressive" one yet...

From what I have read for one to strike there would generally have to be a pretty good reason for it to do so. When I get mine I am going to try and establish some feeding guidelines i.e. out of the enclosure, consistent times etc.

If some sort of routine can be established then it should make life somewhat easier.

By all accounts they are placid as, certainly my limited experience with them leads me to agree and if I had the room for one I would have one in a heart beat. Your family will fall in love with it in no time!

i have 3, and im never parting with any of them. they are fantastic and i wish i had realised how fantastic sooner. you do get some that are bitey but the majority if well fed are great handlers. if your willing to cop a bite get it if not get one thats known to handle well. but even then its no gaurentee

I have purchased a beautiful designed and looking 4x2x2 of her
Was going up there tommorrow to get same tank but 3x2x2 for some pygmy dragons and she has another tank same as my 4x2x2 decked out beautifully to, make very nice theme tanks
This one comes with woma 2yo will sell seperatly but only if woma sells first and they dont want the tank, i dont want to miss out on the tank very expensive to buy new and getting very good price all with b1 thermostats so it appears my 2nd snake could be a woma just my girlfriend a bit worried about them

After reading about them and finding out there burrowers and eat snakes and lizards and also vens i thought thats one tough snake, although a little clumsy and not the best climbers can fall and hurt themselves... but so can i , also no heat sensces in there nose unlike other pythons sounds like an amazing snake

Last edited:
Take her with you, surely the seller will let you handle it and she can see for herself how gorgeous they are.

They may tag you but they are far from aggressive as a rule and if you are worried about them thinking you are food, use a hook to get it out and then it should settle into your hand. I have read that this has worked with other nippy snakes although I'm not sure why it would be dierent in the snakes mind???

Last edited:
Yeah im having a handle of her tommorrow, my girlfriend has seen her amazing collection before when i bought the first 4x2x2 of her
We are going up there tommorrow to buy the 3x2x2 cage and we gonna get a coupla pygmy dragons for it
Hiring a trailor so why pay for another trailer when we are there already just all come about in my head tonight hence the whole info
She does get it out with a stick she told us last time we were there has been a evil little snake but has now become a beautiful lady and she loves her is what she said just down siding her massive collection
Here is the tank and her :)
I got a beautiful matching cabinet on my first tank, so this will sit on top of my exsiting MD tank

Attachments

• DEXTER + CAGE 011.jpg
    DEXTER + CAGE 011.jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
Many people use hooks to get woma out simply to differentiate feeding time from handling time for the snake this minimises the chance of any misunderstandings

womas arnt the smartest pythons out there , they have 2 modes [ mode 1 is food - mode 2 is food] mistakes do happen - resulting in bites , its just another joy of owing pythons .

Just buy a hook and keep the pointy end away from you when handling in the beginning. Out of all my woma adults only one has never bitten me at some stage. Weather it be from my own stupidity or be coming complacient. You can usually tell if they are going to tag you and generally it doesn't hurt. I hadn't been bitten in a long time till the other day I put my hand in one of my large females tanks to lift the paper and get her out and she launched and latched on. Being thought of as dinner is part of owning a woma. When you walk in the room and 3 of them are right up close to the glass bobbing their heads up and down and wriggling their tails it's all worth it.

Morning guys and girls
Well after not much sleep last night the day has come decision time
thx for all your info and imput and i think you have helped my girlfriend that there not the agro, bad *** snake she thinks they are
stay tuned hahahahaha:):D:lol::):D:lol:

Well????? What was the end result? Do you have a Woma or just an enclosure?

I got her lol, thx for all your advice guys made the girlfriend feel better she even held her at ladies house before we bought her, she has never even held my MD ever and ive had her over a year. Such a beautiful beautiful snake, such a credit to her previous owner, all setup did refuse her first feed tonight even though owner said she is hungry and ready for feed and supplied rat as well, ill just put it down to her checking out her new area. Pictures are Myself and Dexs getting aquainted, Dexs in her cage and double trouble my MD and Ms Woma in there cages ontop of each other, thx again guys really gonna enjoy this expereince in love already :)
View attachment 243082View attachment 243083View attachment 243084

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back