How often should i worm my snake ?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

xXExplodexX

Reaction score
How much does it costs ? Because i am new reptiles and it's my first snake.
Who does it can i do it myself or the vet does it?

Thanks.

Worming for no reason does more harm than good, if you are concerned your snake has worms then have its stool tested by a vet and then medicate accordingly.

Ok thank you, and i'm not concerned just wanna make my snake has good health. I thought they would get wormed every month.

How much does it costs ? Because i am new reptiles and it's my first snake.
Who does it can i do it myself or the vet does it?

Thanks.

It sounds like you think your snake has worms??
First questions are
Why do you think it has worms?
Are the worms affecting the snake in any way?

If they are skin worms the treatment is different to intestinal worms

Snakes are not like dogs that need worming every few months
Dogs get worms through roaming around outside etc etc
In a pet situation snakes dont have much opportunity to get worms
So unless you have a reason to think it may have worms there is no need to treat it

Symptoms of intestinal worms are regurging food, losing weight and condition, lethargy, worms in the poo
skin worms can usually be felt and seen as soft lumps under the skin

You may choose to treat only if it has worms, which is fair enough. I was advised by a herp vet to worm twice a year with an appropriate reptile wormer injected into the prey. The snake in question had worms confirmed by the vet on a faecal smear and is kept in a classroom where hygiene is particularly important. Worming takes two doses 5-10 days apart. This is great fun with a small snake, as the dose may be as little as 0.2 ml. You must have an accurate weight to calculate this.

You may choose to treat only if it has worms, which is fair enough. I was advised by a herp vet to worm twice a year with an appropriate reptile wormer injected into the prey. The snake in question had worms confirmed by the vet on a faecal smear and is kept in a classroom where hygiene is particularly important. Worming takes two doses 5-10 days apart. This is great fun with a small snake, as the dose may be as little as 0.2 ml. You must have an accurate weight to calculate this.

Why would you need to continue worming unless it was re-exposed?

I really don't see the logic in routinely worming reptiles without confirming the presence of parasites.
Reptiles are particularly sensitive to chemicals so the less you expose them the better imo.

The animal in question is held on a scientific license at school and is regularly handled by students. He may become reinfected via food, although I buy from reputable suppliers. I prefer to be safe and after several years he remains very healthy. At the correct dose, worming is very safe.

That is just not a possibility unless the food items are in direct contact with snake faeces infected with parasite ova after the food item has been thawed.

Wondering if you could confirm or not that geckos can become infected with worms (pinworms?) through eating insects?

Last edited:
Your snake has a certain amount of worms in his gut to aid in digestion, this symbiotic relationships is benificial to the snake so worming without a bloom of worms can harm the snake Vets will do a float test to see if you are concerned

Your snake has a certain amount of worms in his gut to aid in digestion, this symbiotic relationships is benificial to the snake so worming without a bloom of worms can harm the snake Vets will do a float test to see if you are concerned

Where did you get this info from?
Using the same logic any animal would benefit from having worms.

Snakes have bacteria in their gut just like we do, but worms are not natural. Wild snakes tend to carry a fair load of these parasites, but this is not of any benefit to the animal.

The animal in question is held on a scientific license at school and is regularly handled by students. He may become reinfected via food, although I buy from reputable suppliers. I prefer to be safe and after several years he remains very healthy. At the correct dose, worming is very safe.

How come you dont just test the snake yearly instead then medicate accordingly?

Last edited:
I wouldnt be worming them unless there is cause.... if you dont follow quarantine or feed it suss food.... or you see it has pooped.... and the poop gets up and walks away:shock:

Otherwise, if there is no obvious reason..... dont do it. If you are really worried, get the vet to do a poop test (the snakes, not yours) :lol:

Just my opinion

Otherwise, if there is no obvious reason..... dont do it. If you are really worried, get the vet to do a poop test (the snakes, not yours) :lol:

Just my opinion

Know by experience there ratbag?

I agree unless you fed it wild food or its stool walked out maybe wait till you think you need to

Wondering if you could confirm or not that geckos can become infected with worms (pinworms?) through eating insects?
Only if the insects are present long enough to feed on infected faeces, allow the parasite to develop into it's infective lifestage within the insect and then be consumed by the lizard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back