Snake overeating?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dallon

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Is this possible or likely? My SWCP doesn't stop hunting after he has eaten. Always looks like he is ready for more. Is it possible for a snake to over eat? If so, what are the repercussions?

I have read other threads saying it can rupture their stomach lining, regurgitate or block up. How likely is it that a snake will keep hunting even if its stomach is on the bursting point? how common is it?

In the past with BHP and stimpsons have never had a snake that has seemed to be bottomless!! Any insight would be great.

Cheers

You had a BHP that wasn't always keen for food? Mine is a pig.

I have a male SWCP that is exactly like you describe, regardless of what he is fed he still looks for more. I generally feed him now (hes an adult) every three to five weeks (or when I feel like it) and he takes a pretty decent meal, enough to create a decent bulge. After a few hours he generally goes and basks. Of particular interest, compared to others I own, he defecates quicker than the others, usually no later than the fourth day after feeding. I cannot say for sure but I would imagine like any animal there will be some variance in metabolic rates. I initially thought his temps were a little high, but after investigation this proved to be incorrect. It would be easy to overfeed this snake and I'd imagine he could become quite obese if I was to do that. Obesity can cause health and breeding issues and in time will likely limit the lifespan of the reptile. I've no first hand experience of a snake eating to bursting point, hopefully someone with more knowledge can help you with that.

Regards

Wing_Nut

Out of our 11, I have a coastal and an olive who serve as the garbage disposals. I've only ever had the coastal refuse one feed, and to be fair, the rat was HUGE, honestly about the size of a small kitten, and I think he would have taken it eventually, but I got sick of dangling it (it was heavy!) and fed it to the ferrets. At last feed, the olive (around 1.5m now) took 7x day-old chicks, and only stopped because I ran out. By the last one he wasn't even striking anymore, but 3 days later he was on the hunt again.
ETA: my favourite was one time one of the bubbas refused his feed. Seeing a fully grown coastal eating a pinky rat was hilarious!

I have a male SWCP that is exactly like you describe, regardless of what he is fed he still looks for more. I generally feed him now (hes an adult) every three to five weeks (or when I feel like it) and he takes a pretty decent meal, enough to create a decent bulge. After a few hours he generally goes and basks. Of particular interest, compared to others I own, he defecates quicker than the others, usually no later than the fourth day after feeding. I cannot say for sure but I would imagine like any animal there will be some variance in metabolic rates. I initially thought his temps were a little high, but after investigation this proved to be incorrect. It would be easy to overfeed this snake and I'd imagine he could become quite obese if I was to do that. Obesity can cause health and breeding issues and in time will likely limit the lifespan of the reptile. I've no first hand experience of a snake eating to bursting point, hopefully someone with more knowledge can help you with that.

Regards

Wing_Nut

I've only had him 2 and a bit weeks and he has eaten twice, both a week apart. This feed he just kept hunting to the point I didn't want to feed him any more because I was afraid to give him too much! This is the first time he has used his hide as well, went in there an hour after eating.

Oh and he seems to defecate pretty much bang on 6 days after he eats. Soon as he does that he will start hunting again. He's only about a year old (from what we can gather, pet store couldn't tell us exactly) so I imagine he has a bit of growing to do in the coming year too!

It all sounds pretty normal to me. Feed him prey thats about as thick as he is at his thickest, give or take a little, and he should be fine. Feeding him every 7-14 days is about right to. Once he's reached a more adult size, you can space his feeding out a fair bit more. I wouldn't worry too much about him hunting, give him some time to settle in and see how he is in a few months time. Until then, I would just keep to the basics and let him be a snake.

Regards

Wing_Nut

Yeah he took two adult mice (about the same thickness as he is) but then took another three pinky rats. Only then did he start to calm down and not keep hunting as actively so left him at it to chill out and digest. Even as early as it is he seems to become more active after he defecates and starts stalking a little bit more. Guess I am just worried about how much he seemed to want to eat and wanted to make sure I wasn't going to do any harm. Thanks for the info!

On a slightly different note, any idea on how quickly they will grow? He is around a meter (maybe a little less) at the moment, still pretty thin all over and fairly thin neck.. Looking forward to him growing, whenever that may be :). Got a way better personality than the BHP we had before him!!

When they're young they'll hunt more often - they've a lot of growing to do :)
Mine are all now technically adults and seem to get into a 'feeding zone' mindset, they'll feed and immediately be on the lookout for more for a few hours. Any movement they see has their full attention and they'll often strike toward the glass if I'm not thinking and walk past the enclosures.
Next morning they all settle down to the business of digesting and relaxing until about a fortnight later when the hunt is on again

You need to ensure you are feeding it enough (15-20 percent of body weight a week will suffice). Having said this, every snake I've ever owned (many individuals many species) wants more than I have given it. After a feed they go into a feeding trance and always want more. This doesn't last and they soon return to normal. Snakes will overeat. Snakes will get overweight. Snakes will develop problems if they are overweight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back