Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hph

Not so new Member
Reaction score
What's the best way to get a python to release its bite once its gotten hold of you ?

My 3ft diamond decided my hand was food and started chewing on it :x as I got it out of its cage this morning prior to putting him into his feed box.

This was my first real snake bite ever since I started keeping them 12 months months ago, and from reading other ppl's accounts, didnt try to pull him off :cry: :cry: . He finally released once I got my hand under a running tap. He didnt seem to be too disturbed by it though cos it promptly fed once I put him into his feed box :lol: :lol:

Also I'd been told numerous times that snake bites dont hurt but I think that only relates to hatchies :oops: :oops:

Blow on its face with breath from your mouth. (had to make it like that due to some gutter minds around ;) )

I find that a couple of squirts from a spray bottle startles them enough so they let go.

Also I'd been told numerous times that snake bites dont hurt but I think that only relates to hatchies

I got whacked by my BHP male and I screamed, took 2 fellas to get him off me, had to gently pry his mouth off!! :shock:
Was my fault though.....I was holding a rat by the tail and got my thumb instead!!!!!Hit me so hard my thumb swelled up!!!!
I learned a hard lesson!!! :oops:

Hey I was so tough when I got tagged :D

I think what's harder is getting a really peed off snake to unravel rather than let the bite go! When my Diamond got me she was holding on to me TIGHT for about half an hour...fingers went blue and everything lol. If I tried to move her I got tagged again...dunked her in freezing cold water in the bath and she didn't even flinch, just started hissing louder lol. I didn't dunk her head though but I didn't see the point cos she wasn't biting me. Do you just wait til they let go or what!

OuZo said
I think what's harder is getting a really peed off snake to unravel rather than let the bite go! ............ Do you just wait til they let go or what!

Depends on what part of your anatomy you want it unravelled from. :?
It is strongly recommended that you don't just wait if it is around your neck. :lol:

I haven't had cause to find out the best way, but I recently saw a pretty large hungry bredli release very quickly with a hard breathe blow to it's open mouth (as Teamsherman said). That certainly impressed me and will be the method I try if I have to.

I haven't had cause to find out the best way, but I recently saw a pretty large hungry bredli release very quickly with a hard breathe blow to it's open mouth (as Teamsherman said). That certainly impressed me and will be the method I try if I have to.

Did the person getting bitten cry? I probably would have, even if it was just because I had to look at an ugly bredli. They must have been pretty incompetant :lol:

hph, I don't know why people say snake bites don't hurt, hatchlings don't, sure, but these people who say an 8' python bite won't hurt either have leprosy or too much pride.

Did the person getting bitten cry? I probably would have, even if it was just because I had to look at an ugly bredli. They must have been pretty incompetant :lol:

Oh Dear!!!!
Sadge, a spelling mistake!
Yes, my 8 foot diamond hurt when it bit me and all it did was hit and then release. It bites hard enough to nearly break a rat's back and i bled and bled. I didn't cry, not on the outside anyway.

The blowing trick works well in most cases, but your right saying to be careful. The odd animal will have a go, (nearly had one latch on to my lips once), and you dont want a large python latching on to your face wether it hurts or not it will take half your face off. But it does work.! Just be careful.!!
I posted this method a few weeks ago as to many people are using meths which IMOP is a very bad thing to do.

Tetanus

What sort of nasties can a person get from snake bites (non venomous) besides bleeding a lot, cos I dont think my tetanus booster shots has been done in the last 10 years. :(

I have only been bitten once by my 18month old Bredli and it hurt less than a scratch but from reading the above messages I am not looking forward to getting nipped by him when he gets bigger.

although he is a great handler and has only got me once!

I've heard of a spray bottle with diluted metho makes them let got real quick. Though the story involved a scrub python wrapped around him from the wrist around and around his arm to his shoulder (14ft I think). worst I've copped is a metre long agro spotted python so no crying just crushed ego after having assured a friend it wouldn't bite me.......

I've heard of a spray bottle with diluted metho makes them let got real quick

I've heard that shoving the burning end of a lit cigarette into their eye works too, decapitation would also probably be most effective, but like having metho squirted into my mouth, I don't think I'd appreciate it if it was done to me.

hph: I've never heard/read anything about anyone ever getting infections/sick from a python bite. But that's just my experience.
Whenever I get bitten, I just make sure to wash the area immediately and thoroughly with warm soapy water. :)

Best way to get python to release bite

Not too sure about this one, but I have read somewhere that putting alcohol into the mouth of the snake can help. You must not put as much in so that it goes down its throat though, so Im guessing you hold its head down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back