Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

triptych_angel

Reaction score
I've heard that it is illegal to keep corn snakes in Australia...does anyone know why they are illegal?

Cheers

Emma

Emma in Oz we're only allowed to keep animals that are native to the country. You may not be able to keep corn snakes but there is no lack of variety in the species we have.

oh and welcome to the site.. ah..... fear and loathing. one of the best books ever written :)

Oh i see, fair enough...I live in Sydneys West. Was just curious as i've been researching on the web and they are very beautiful snakes but when enquiring was told they were illegal. I only know of one place where i can get pythons and that is at Kellyville Pets although they only have a very specific range. Im new to this and am researching at this point...any help would be appreciated.

you cant actually sell or buy herps from a pet shop either, but there is plenty in our for sale thread and on other sites. welcome to the site.

You will get a good feel for what is available in Australia ... and at what price by visiting http://www.herptrader.com.au and clicking the Herp Trader button.

Of course I am biased because my wife is the Herp Trader #1 but hey, it is still Australia's top Herp Trading site.

Welcome to the site.
Snakes are like just other pets. You will normally get them a lot cheaper from a breeder than buying through a pet shop.

i recommend herpshop for any needs and herptrader for reptiles cause thre the bomb!!!

Welcome Emma. You should also join your local Herp Society. There is the hawkesbury one and Macarthur one. someone here will point you in the right direction depending on whether you are closer to Windsor or Campbelltown. Please do not rely on Pet Shops for any advice. The best place in the world for the advice you seek is right here. Just chat for a while and you will learn heaps.

Oh, sorry, and no-one has ansswered your question. WHY are corn snakes illegal? Mmm. Many people will have different answers. But is is a government regulation (Federal I think) that no exotic retptiles can be kep in Aus for fear of them escaping and reaking havoc on our native animals. You know, like cats, dogs, mynah birds, rats, rabbits, cane toads and all the other stuff that is already here.

But they do have a good point. Look at what red eared sliders are doing in Sydney now (they are introduced turtles). Corn snakes may be better adapted to surviving in Australia than native snakes and therefore may decimate wild populations of our native ones. That is the reason WHY. whether we agree or not.

Welcome triptych_angel,

We might be quite close to you if you are in Western Sydney. We are located in Parramatta.

Have you ever handled or seen a captive "pet" snake? If you ever want to see what sort of set up is required & have a little hold of one we have a baby Diamond x Carpet python (about 10 months old) here currently & two adult Childreni pythons on the way & you are most welcome to come & have a look-see.

I know that before we got our first python I had never even touched a real snake, let alone let one wriggle around my wrist! It's an amazing experiance & I can guarentee that when you get one snake you won't be able to stop! I swore (ask anyone on this site) that I would stop at just one snake & only 3 months after getting that snake I am getting another two!

Anywa enough rambling, welcome again & as has been said before, ask lots of questions, everyone here is very knowledgeble & helpful

Regards,
Kathy.

Welcome, I got my first python from Kellyville, don't worry its legal, you're really buying it off a breeder there and he was quite helpful and friendly but as has been said, you can get anything here (or from our sponsors) from info to pets much cheaper.

Yes, they are illegal, because heaven forbid they got out into our wild populations like cats, dogs & toads etc I mean, it’s not as if you can’t buy exotic animals of literally every other type in this country already – birds and fish included :? It must be a hell of a lot harder to legalize and quarantine the import of reptiles than it is birds, I mean, I thought there was this thing called the Reptile Flu Epidemic getting around?????? Has anyone seen the price of a Macaw lately?? :lol:

Hi and welcome to the site Emma, you’ll find something useful in amongst my sarcasm :D

I thinik you will find that exotic Moose cannot be kept legally in Australia either ;-)

If you are interested you may wish to seach past posts on the subject of exotics. When ever the subject comes up the debate tends to get a bit heated.

(The search function is located on the bottom left hand corner of most APS pages.)

Jason said:
you cant actually sell or buy herps from a pet shop either, but there is plenty in our for sale thread and on other sites. welcome to the site.

Is this just a Sydney thing? A lot of pet shops around me sell them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back