Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scale_Addiction

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
We have some red-eye GTFs, that are kept under UV lights (which apparently boosts they're colour)

and one of them is slowy turning blue? (now its not dead lol)

anyone heard of this before?

azz

Hi Azz, i have a cpl red eyed tree frogs. They go between yellow(when uv is low) to green/blue when UV is high. It doesn't seem to be a UVB related thing so much as UVA i think as they will turn a blue/green colour simply by being under regular flourescent light aswell or in sunlight through a closed window.

i see, possibly heat related? or more so an involuntary colour change depicting mood?

I think it is heat related, they are always more yellow at night when it's cool so it must be serving a purpose in helping them absorb heat, and vice versa in the day.

My grandfather once found a live blue 'green' tree frog(caerulea) this was well before i was born so i didnt see it myself. Also i have heard they go blue when stored in metho.

I dont know much about stuff but i think some animals can sometimes lack whatever causes yellow pigmentation or it is somehow altered. This can also be seen in green tree pythons and 'green' tree snakes that are blue. It must only happen to animals with 'green tree' in there name :idea: :lol:

I would say it might be genetic but i have no idea really :?

Does anyone here know about this stuff?

cheers
cris

Red eyed tree frogs are well known for getting a blue tinge on their back when they are adult or sub adult, and blue on their underlegs region. Some caerlea do too, it isn't rare at all.

As I said I didnt see the tree frog but the way it was described it was blue as in blue not a bluey tinge as i have seen myself in some frogs. It was also found with heaps(probly hundreds) of other frogs of normal colour in some type of water tank if I remember correctly.

By saying its slowly turning blue what sort of time frame are you talking about? Does the colour vary or go back and forwards so to speak or just keep getting bluer?

cheers
cris

cris, the pigment does seem to change throughout the day, he is very blue during the day, when the uv is on, and more of a rich dark green during the night (uv off)

Oh ok Azztech, I would go with what parko said rather than my ramblings about freak animals :)

cris, in the case of caerulea you are right, there is a blue phase aswell as the regular green and also some that are a more bland olive/dark green, all found within the same areas,only some caerulea can turn blue, whereas with red eyes (litoria chloris)to my knowledge it is a standard thing for all of them to be able to turn bluish green, though some more than others perhaps.

Here is the reason for the blue:

Yes they do that and you will probably even notice that they become more blue as the day goes on - or if they are partly covered and partly exposed they will go part blue green and part yellow green! They are actually increasing the amount of blue (and UV) light reflected off their skin when they get too much.
Try disturbing one who has rested a long time under the light and see if the covered areas of green (eg sides covered by legs) have stayed more yellow-green.

This is a post by Gerry Marantelli from the Amphibian Research Centre, on the frogs.org.au site.

Oh and the original post was about Litoria chloris , Red-eyed Tree Frog.

cris said:
As I said I didnt see the tree frog but the way it was described it was blue as in blue not a bluey tinge as i have seen myself in some frogs. It was also found with heaps(probly hundreds) of other frogs of normal colour in some type of water tank if I remember correctly.

By saying its slowly turning blue what sort of time frame are you talking about? Does the colour vary or go back and forwards so to speak or just keep getting bluer?

cheers
cris

In America Litoria caerulea, (Green Tree Frog to us, and White's Tree Frog to them) are a commonly kept frog, the "blue morph" is more available to purchase in America.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back