How do you freeze mice?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mauesha

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hiya's

Can anyone tell me how most people freeze mice? What does it mean when they are C02 killed? Is it a humane way to go?

Just in case anyone is thinking otherwise, NEVER put a live mouse or rat in the freezer to kill it. Death is slow and very painful - only pre-killed rodents should be frozen.

:p

Hix

I was told placing newborn pinkies straight in the freezer was ok whether it be a mouse, rat, rabbit or the like. but wouldn't do that to older ones.

Yeah Kathy i heard that as well and did that for a couple of litters. However their cries when they come in contact with the freezer bottom made me realise that as quick as it is they still suffer. And how quick is it? i would imagine they would suffer for at least 2 minutes or so. But hey even if its 30 seconds i dont really want to put an animal to death in a way which is going to cause some pretty horrible suffering.

Ive since set up a CO2 setup which is nice and easy to kill them and they go to sleep and never wake up again. Suffering very little. Total cost was $2.50. And it costs around 10-20c each time i use it.
Ive just got to get used to the feeling of being a little Hitler.

This link shows how its done.
http://www.alysion.org/euthanasia/

In my experience....the smaller the rat or mouse....they longer the gas takes to kill it!

yes, the younguns (pinks/fuzzies) can be slow to die with CO2, but if you put them in a plastic bag and press most of the air out, then fill with CO2 and tie off, they will die within a minute or two. The bag must not have holes though.

They are able to live in almost airless spaces as babies, so if they have even a small amount of O2 they will go on for a long time.

Jamie.

Just in case anyone is thinking otherwise, NEVER put a live mouse or rat in the freezer to kill it. Death is slow and very painful - only pre-killed rodents should be frozen.

Hix
your so right hix
we used to be told this was the most humane way to euthanise reptiles..WRONG as well,nothing is quicker than a brain trauma

Can anyone tell me how most people freeze mice?
in an airtight plasitic bag in the frezer

How many pinkies would you put togeather in a 1 litre container if you use the baking soda-vinegar mix?

Earthling said:
Yeah Kathy i heard that as well and did that for a couple of litters. However their cries when they come in contact with the freezer bottom made me realise that as quick as it is they still suffer. And how quick is it? i would imagine they would suffer for at least 2 minutes or so. But hey even if its 30 seconds i dont really want to put an animal to death in a way which is going to cause some pretty horrible suffering.

Ive since set up a CO2 setup which is nice and easy to kill them and they go to sleep and never wake up again. Suffering very little. Total cost was $2.50. And it costs around 10-20c each time i use it.
Ive just got to get used to the feeling of being a little Hitler.

This link shows how its done.
http://www.alysion.org/euthanasia/

Oh I wouldn't put them directly onto the freezer. I've put them into a container with wood shavings. I've even been told placing a fish in water in the freezer is humane method of disposing of fish

The CO2 definitely seems nicest way. I know a couple ppl nearby with CO2 already set up so I just give them a couplabob to do the deed for me :cry:

I always figured that the reason God gave rats and mice long tails is so that they swing well.

I hate killing rodents by any means. We have had this debate on the site and it seems that dying is a pretty bad way to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back