Bearded Dragon

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shakuma

Reaction score
I have a juvenile bearded dragon (Viticeps) it appears healthy, eats etc. But it sits there with its head lifted up and tilted back like he is looking up at the cage roof. I do not think that it is an obstructed breathing or airway problem as there is no rasping or wheezing etc. He sounds and looks normal. But the head angle isn’t ok. A Reptile dealer said that it was a UV issue, but that doesn’t seem to make sense as he hasn’t got rickets, has adequate UV in his cage and can bask easily. I would think a calcium or UV issue would show as a deformity in the extremities?. Does anyone know why it may sit for ages in this uncomfortable looking pose?

Shakuma

Make sure the UV light is not too far away from him......as if it is too high he may not get any benefit from it.

is there anything on the cage roof to look at? ie a reflection? I use no uv with my beardies and have not had this problem. Can he focus and catch his food OK, ie does it have any problem walking straight. The only one I have had do this was a hatchling. It died 48 hours after hatching and was coughing up fluid.

I have seen them with ear infections and this can make them walk strangr and have there head to one side.I do not know if this is your problem but it may help you in some way.

I can't see how UV could possibly cause this, the other suggestions sound much more realistic. Also as Jason said any reflections or shadows will cause this behaviour. Mine sometimes do it when outside and a bird flies over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back