info on breeding GTP's.....

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
RE: info on breeding GTP

sorry i just went to speak to my mate thru msn and he said sexual maturity is 3-4 years roughly depending on the snake of course.....if no-one answers the rest by the time i finish work i'll get back onto him for you and find out

Greens have been successfully bred at 2years of age.

Males mature at approx 80cm and females 1.2m

alright, the question was recomended breeding age and that stands at roughly 3 years for both male and female. The average length of a breeding gtp is 3ft. hope that helps mate

GTPs don't actually hibernate - they're a highly tropical animal, and are usually cycled by cooling a few degrees lower at night for 6-8 weeks before putting together.

Assessment of suitability for breeding is best done by weight - females should not be bred before attaining about 1kg (usually this would be around 4yo), and males can breed at around 450 gms. There are exceptions to this, but in general, those are reasonable parameters to work by.

Jamie.

why waz i told they hibernate during winter then? thats falsified information from him>>> he breeds them bloody things so he's spose to be right. i had one months back and waz told to cool it over winter but it waz confiscated before i got tha chance. do any gtps hibernate or just his??LOL

Hi Sarah - I wasn't contradicting your info (or didn't mesn to) just adding a bit extra! What you were told is pretty much in line with what I added, just the hibernation bit needed a little clarification, because they're never subjected to the colder months as intensively as our more southerly reptiles, so don't have that "dormant" phase that we understand to be hibernation..

Sorry if I sounded as though I was correcting you - didn't mean to :wink:

Jamie

nah nah nah i didnt mean it like that mate thats all cool....i just didnt realise that, i just took his word for it. so just needed some clarification from ya :lol:

:arrow: Peace Bro :!: :wink: :lol:

greens can be mated at 2 1/2yrs and eggs will hatch when adults are 3yrs, with out problems.
Females around the 3 foot mark and males can be a bit smaller.

Very few oz pythons hibernate, they get alot less active over the winter months but donot hibernate.
Even in northern nsw and south east qld pythons are active all year and will sometimes even feed in the dead of winter.

Stirring trouble again Jamie lol.

So, whos breeding GTPs this season then?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back