Can snakes sense fear?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mimmy

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Just a bit curious... nothing too exciting or important but I was just wondering if snakes can sense when someone handling them is a little nervous or scared? Some people I've talked to say they can- what is your experience?

I don't think so. They aren't like dogs. They have great sense of smell and most python sense heat, not fear and movement. I think they sense people who are indesicive about picking them up and I think that is when they tend to strike.

i agree with adam, i think snakes would rather be held by a confident handler, i guess they feel safe. but i do think they can sense fear to some extent. if dogs can y not snakes

i dont think snakes can sense fear and as for dog they cant sense fear just body langue they will be able to tell if someone is scared from their movments and the way they act thats my 2 cents

Rightio! I was just curious- they always seem to act differently around people they are familiar with than with strangers/ inexperienced handlers. Thanks guys!

yeah its not an ability to sense fear just the fact that a person who is scared may be handling the snake a bit rough or without enough support so the snakes feel a little threatend and stressed.....and there for bite or constrict in defense

snakes sense movement. if i walk past my snakes enclosure they turn and see what it is thats going past. i guess they sense my movements and my scent.

snakes dont have the best eye sight....and rely heavily on smell and heat sensing pits (if they have them) which most pythons have...they can detect movment but not aswell as a dog because they have more advanced ways of detecting living things...so from a distance they cant detect movement aswell as other animals although close up they have a pretty good idea whats going on

I agree with the confidence thing. My two snakes get a little flighty if held by someone else who isn't that confident with them.

I always thought they could pick my smell out from everybody else's as well because they make a beeline straight to me if I put my hand out, although after reading Adam's post it may also be combined with the fact that they prefer me holding them as they feel safer?

Mic

snakes sense movement. if i walk past my snakes enclosure they turn and see what it is thats going past. i guess they sense my movements and my scent.
it just adam said that they dont sense movment and you said that he hit the nial on the head:)

snakes dont have the best eye sight....and rely heavily on smell and heat sensing pits (if they have them) which most pythons have...they can detect movment but not aswell as a dog because they have more advanced ways of detecting living things...so from a distance they cant detect movement aswell as other animals although close up they have a pretty good idea whats going on
They can feel the vibration LONG before there heat sensing pits come into play. YES they can detect heat with their pits but only at a relatively close distance when compared with their sense of smell and ability to detect vibration.

Sorry I misworded my post, I added the movement word after I posted and I put it in the wrong spot.

Can snakes sense fear

Snakes can sense fear
They actually smell it as they have a very advanced sense of smell much more advanced than dogs or people
When people or animals are scared the bodies give of an odour
The snake or animal pick up on this.
When something is scared it is generally unpredictable which in turn can cause your snake or whatever animal to become defensive.

well my snakes do that same thing.. when i give them to someone else to hold, if its not my immediate family, they strain their bodies out to get to me..i think they are used to my smell more than anyhting..they know me by how i smell and taste..

Snakes can sense fear
They actually smell it as they have a very advanced sense of smell much more advanced than dogs or people
When people or animals are scared the bodies give of an odour
The snake or animal pick up on this.
When something is scared it is generally unpredictable which in turn can cause your snake or whatever animal to become defensive.
I am curious as to where you gained that information, can you show us the scientific evidence that supports this, or is this just your theory? I agree to an extent, snakes do have a superior sense of smell, but I am keen to see some evidence to their reaction to fear!:eek:
Cheers...

They can feel the vibration LONG before there heat sensing pits come into play. YES they can detect heat with their pits but only at a relatively close distance when compared with their sense of smell and ability to detect vibration.

yeah sorry i forgot to add that....and it is very surprising how such small movements can be detected so far away by snakes.....it also helps with the detection of other animals when their head may not be in the right spot...ie. under a log

My guess about the inextperianced bit ould be that people don't support them enogh or hold them firmly enough for them to feel comportable annd not like they will fall. This could easily make them nervous

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back