Pet Store on SPRINGVALE RD, VICTORIA! Urgent! Need your help!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

curtis

Reaction score
Hey guys...

I'm sure when some people read the topic they will get shivers down their spine... :?

As posted before, my friend and I wanted to get another dragon, a baby, so we got
the address of a place in Springvale. Our excitement was soon turned in to utter
dismay at the state of this place... I have searched on this forum and it IS a damn
animal graveyard! That place is so overstocked -- they had way too little staff, in fact
they were just kids, and that's not even the half of it!

We went straight to the reptile section and things looked absolutely horrible. I couldn't
take it, I wanted to get the hell out of Springvale as quickly as possible it was so bad -
there were very sick looking lizards. In fact, I counted at least 3 dead. There was a
blue tongue, lying dead all swollen, looking terrible, as was a adult water dragon. The
poor thing looked like its health had slowly deteriorated to a point where it could no
longer survive. The little scorpions were sitting in piles of dead insects, when I say
piles, I mean piles bigger than the scorpions, I don't know much about them, but I
really don't think that is right at all... this whole place had a smell of death about it,
it was absolutely morbid.

The poor puppies are also stuffed into these small cubicles which they can hardly freely
move in, not to mention the stench of uncleaned animals. There was another section where
there were mostly big bird aviaries, but there were these two tiny little puppies huddled
together in this big, cold aviary, scared to death by the shrieking of what sounded to be a
bird in great distress...

Needless to say, we reported this to the RSPCA as soon as we got home. They sort of
sighed as they have had reports against this place already. I'm not quite sure what to do,
but such a place can't be allowed to continue with this. I drove past there last Sunday on
the way to Amazing Amazon, and my heart sunk as it was still very much open for business.

What can we do? The people who have seen this horror of a place must know what it felt like
there, we have to do something!

Im in Brisbane but ive heard of this place before. Honestly i would take some pictures if you can and show them to the Rspca. I would be telling them that there are dead animals in their shop that they have left for the public to see, and they looked to suffer a slow painful death. Id also mention the fear of the puppies, and that you could smell feces etc.

Tell them exactly what you felt that you were mortified. Photos will help your case and honestly go to the RSPCA in person, (i dont know if your an adult), but if you arent take one with you as they tend to take adults more seriously. If it doesnt work get some photos of the insect piles, dead animals, scared puppies and send them to me. I will report them to the VIC RSPCA myself - people tend to listen to what i have to say, ive done this a few times before lol - with great success.

Anyway i hope this helps, but evidence is probably needed. Maybe even go in there and (i know this sounds aweful) but make sure the place is looking shocking and tell the RSPCA to go down there quick smart to check the place out for themselves. I just rescued 3 baby beardeds last night (they are all missing the ends of their tails, one looks like it will lose a rear foot. The fellow didnt know what to do with them, and i heard contemplated letting them go in th wild. Let me know how it goes.

Try ringing ACA , Today Tonight, or some animal rescue program, if they don't listen go in with a hidden camera and film stuff and put it on youtube . It's quite sad about the RSPCA's response, maybe they have budget cuts and want to help but the bosses are telling them to cut back .
If there is a large public outcry i think something will be done alot quicker.

I agree. You need some video or photographic evidence by the sounds of it but try contacting anyone you can, today tonight, extra, chanel 9 news, ACA, try the RSPCA again and really plead with them that its their job and these animals are suffering and its not just yourself thats disgusted in the store. Keep us updated !

i agree with what everyone is saying get a reporter of some sort to name and shame them on national tv. perhaps then something serious will be done.good luck and hopefully the animals that aren' beyond saving are rescued to enjoy the life they deserve.

i too have heard about this place from up here in Brisbane. The advice given so far is sound, video or photo's would be a huge booster for your case.

Yep get em shamed on tv and the animals rescued, RSPCA have been told, did nothing or very little, ring today tonight, get them on tv, they love these kinds of stories!!!

It's disgusting to see this happen to animals, any animals, reptiles, or insects, I wish I was there, I would have told them what for and said I was getting the television station involved!

There are actually two pet stores selling reptiles on Springvale Road. I believe the one you are referring to is in Keysbourough. (sp??) .

The other in Glen Waverley was in the news recently for other reasons.

Bottom line is that you will do better sourcing your animals directly from breeders. (...and a good way to do this is to keep an eye on the Herp Trader http://herptrader.com.au )

These places are open for everyone to see.......how do they continue trading, why are they NOT prosecuted????
Where are the RSPCA...it is their responsibility to remove animals in danger!!!!!
I don't know how they sleep at night.....

Another thing you can do is encourage as many people as possible to report it to the RSPCA.. There are a few ways you can go about doing this.. The number one way I can think of is flyers. Print out a few small posters (A4 size will do), when you go into the shop next time take a picture of the puppies (try to get an image as sad/shocking/heart renching as you can) and then print up the poster to look similar to a "missing puppy" poster as people can't resist looking at them. And then write something along the lines of "This puppy isn't missing, but he may wish he was. At the moment he is living in fear in the pet store on Springvale rd, with countless other baby animals, in absolute squalor. In this store I have seen animals living in their own filth, or left sick and dying in their pens, and even living amongst animals who have already given up their fight. Unfortunately it seems that nothing can be done to help these animals unless there are more complaints. If you have a spare few minutes today, please find it in your heart to visit the animals at this store and if you agree that it simply isn't right, please report it to the RSPCA. If the RSPCA receive enough complaints perhaps something can be done to help. Let's work together to stop this cruel and unfair treatment of defenseless animals."

Obviously don't sign it or leave any contact details on it, and put the posters up at main intersections within a few blocks of the shop. Doing it this way allows people to be aware of the problem, and go in and see it for themselves, and more importantly make their own decision about it. Also using a picture of a puppy guarantees that animal lovers will look at it and read it, and hopefully feel compelled to take action. Just make sure that you don't mention the name of the store, or make it too defamatory as although you are trying to help, a smear campaign can and will work against you in the long run.

Why not report it to DSE! Keep making reports....lots of them, they get sick of you and will do something about it! RSPCA is only worried about cute furry stuff...take photos of the dogs and they might act....only if it is good for publicity though.....

If it's the place I'm thinking about (which I'm 99% sure it is) they've been investigated and investigated and NOTHING ever seems to change! I agree with you when you say it's disgraceful - actually, it's worse than that. Someone has mentioned to me that they are in cahoots with someone in a high place, and that's why they keep walking away Scott-free time and time again. About time they either cleaned up their act, or closed! Appalling!

Something else to think about...where do these places get their animals from....private breeders most of the time...if you dont like them, dont sell to them, dont buy from them, dont visit them...the more people that go throught the door means that they look busy...people are not stupid...if the animals are sick, dead etc they will not buy them...but if people keep on going back..."rescuing" the sick animals...paying for them...then they are allowing it to continue. If you dont like DSE response, dall the Department of Primary Industries Animal Welfare....see if they can help. Just remember....there are a lot of animals, some will die, some will die during the day and not be noticed until later.....there are minimum standards that must be met, make sure you know these before you try to video and post on the net....the companies have more money than you!

I have a very close friend that is a councilor at the Springvale Shire I am in the process of phoning her but I need to know the exact name I think I know it but if someone could pm for confirmation Im sure my friend will be able to help.With permission from the writers above i would like to send her these comments.
Odie

Have ppl confronted the owners and staff about these problems? if so what do they say?

is it close to amazing amazon?? do u just kepp going down springvale rd, i wanna go an have a look myself, whats the name of this store?

As mentioned previously, I reckon someone ought to get some photos of the animals in this store and then send them to A Current Affair and Today Tonight - they love that sort of stuff. It's disgusting that places like this can still trade when the neglect is so obvious. How can the RSPCA not do anything?

Anyone know the name/address of this store?

Defo do the vid or pix n upload 2 you tube and whatever other media u feel necessary. Something 2 make the community sit up n go ....huh???

I'm in Brissy but this type of torture HAS to stop...
The black cloud that hangs above these ppl n COMPANIES who just "dont care" is very disturbing... I'm also bummd at all the Blackmarket n Underground goings on, including thefts of good petstores breeders and collectors animals locally and nationally....
Time 4 it to STOP!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back