Garden Skink Eggs - Will they Hatch?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Moonfox

Reaction score
Heya!

My brother was helping dad to clean up the yard yesterday and they found a buch of garden skink eggs. They took them inside, and buried them in some dirt from the same spot in a little empty fish tank.

I don't know if they'll hatch - my brother got one out today :)rolleyes:) and it was "deflated" as I put it. He squished it between his fingers before I could stop him, and said it was dead. I told him not to touch the other ones, and that it might be normal.

We checked out that egg, seeing as it was pretty stuffed after he squeezed it, and found a well-formed baby skink. He's got scales, colouring and is a few cm long. Dead as a doornail.

How should I be keeping the rest of the eggs? Should they be warmed (I have a free heat lamp) or cooled? What temperature should they be? And is shrivelling normal?

Sorry for the life story :p. And thanks for any help!

Edit: Some pics -
stuff006.jpg

stuff007.jpg

Last edited:
Hope the others hatch, not too sure but they'd probably go best at around the high 20's, shouldn't be too long to go by the looks of that one.
I'm possibly being too nerdy here but it actually looks like a grass skink, Lampropholis guichenoti.

Yeah, I agree with Jordo, it looks like L.guichenoti, not L.delicata.

They should hatch in your set up. I kept them when I was in primary school, and occassionally there would be a whole bunch of little ones running around the enclosure trying to avoid ending up as food. They are a hardy species and I'm guessing the eggs are too.

Cheers

On the Victorian keeping lists L guichenoti is the garden skink while L. delicata is the delicate skink. The joys of using common names:)

Not particularly, amazonian. Most of your small skinks (Lampropholis, Ctenotus, Carlia, Morethia etc) are egg layers, whilst most of your larger skinks (Cyclodomorphus, Tiliqua, Egernia etc) are live bearers. Like always there are exceptions to the rule, like the small Hemiergis genera which are live bearers. There is also a highland species that apparently switches from egg laying to live bearing at a certain altitude.

Are there many egg laying Skink species?
Most Skink species are live bearers arn't they?

A lot of the larger groups like Ctenotus, Carlia, Lerista are egg layers.

... too slow ;)

I try and learn something new every day amazonian. The other day, I learnt that you must unplug light fittings before wiring them up. Especially if you are standing barefoot on wet grass.

I try and learn something new every day amazonian. The other day, I learnt that you must unplug light fittings before wiring them up. Especially if you are standing barefoot on wet grass.

u cant be serious.........

hahahah good one jonno! sounds like these fellas!!
hang on that isnt you sitting there is it?

Darwin_award_2008.jpg

hahahah good one jonno! sounds like these fellas!!
hang on that isnt you sitting there is it?

Darwin_award_2008.jpg
Holy carp! As the daughter of an electrician, that... wow. Lol, idiots much? :p I love how they're all like "Yeah, this is a great idea! 8)".

As for pics of the eggs, I'll get some up later. But I am 100% sure that they are collapsed and that any babies that may have resulted from these eggs are dead. Convincing my brother, however, is a different story.

I suspect that they collapsed due to cooling (transporting them from the site to a container when they were found took a while, I'm told) and failure to simulate the conditions they were found in. I was at a friend's place, so... yeah. Another brilliant failure by the menfolk of my household :lol:.

Many eggs collapse when they are about to hatch, don't give up hope yet!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back