How can i make my snake cage a little bit more humid???

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

crazylatinsteven

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey i have a juvenile centralian carpet python. Firstly i know they are found in dry areas but should i make the cage a little bit more humid just in case??? If so, how can i make the cage more humid???

Bigger water bowl , What is it in and what is ventilation like?

Block off some vent holes if possible, there is a few was to raise the humidity.

Remove some ventilation holes, place a water bowl or some mossy plant material near the heat source and bob's your uncle.

Oh, if you are doing it, get a hygrometer to measure the humidty levels to ensure what you are doing is what you are after.

Why do you want to make it more humid? You are right as an arid region snake they shouldn't need it. Leave it as it is unless it ghas trouble shedding. Unecessarily high humidity generally encouages diease and skin problems.

Bredli don't need humidity. If his last shed was a bit messy, you could increase humidity a little at shed time but other that I would not change anything. Too much humidity will cause moldy enclosure which causes bacteria and can also cause scale rot. Don't fix what isn't broken

Bredli don't need humidity. If his last shed was a bit messy, you could increase humidity a little at shed time but other that I would not change anything. Too much humidity will cause moldy enclosure which causes bacteria and can also cause scale rot. Don't fix what isn't broken
Good advice. My Antaresia often drink from their bowl or crawl over it, but I never see the Bredli by their bowls. We have relatively small bowls (hatchling snakes) and a large cage. They both shed yesterday with absolutely perfect sloughs. Don't worry about upping your humidity.

If they do have probs shedding... I will occasionally mist in their enclosure in the lead up to a shed.....

Hygrometer is a good Idea..They are pretty cheap..And at least then you know what the humidity is...

I would keep their humidity low. I just use little shallow dishes that people serve asian sweet chili sauce in for hatchies. These let them go through it if they want (only when they are shedding sometimes) but keeps the click clack fairly low in humidity. They are a good size if you keeping it in a click clack.

Enclosures don't get moldy by humidity. If your enclosure does, then its made of the wrong material.....

Enclosures don't get moldy by humidity. If your enclosure does, then its made of the wrong material.....

And how did you come to that conclusion?

ANY type of enclosure can become moldy if the conditions are correct. All mold spores need to germinate are moisture, nutrient, and appropriate temperature. The amount of light can also be a factor.
Nutrant can come from a damp substrate, esp with, for example, stray skin cells from sheds and animal waste.

I would think that if someones tank is moldy to the point that it is feeding on the wood of the enclosure, they need to up their husbandry standards, before worrying about what the tank is made of..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back