Do snakes sense fear??

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nocturnal_pulse

Reaction score
hi all...
I was wondering do snakes sense fear from people? As my missus is still a little afraid to reach into its enclosure....and she wanted to know....only because she said that horses and some other animals can sense fear in ppl...lol
cheers

I don't believe they have the intelligence to sense fear in another being. They may detect a different scent that we give off when we are scared, but i doubt that a snake knows that it's because we are scared.

as long as u act stong and dont make sketchy fast movements shel be fine. just dont stick ur hand in then quickly pull it away

Snakes react to body language and the way you handle/approach them can play a big role in the animals reaction.

I don't believe they have the intelligence to sense fear in another being. They may detect a different scent that we give off when we are scared, but i doubt that a snake knows that it's because we are scared.

Yes i agree i do not believe that snakes sense fear, but they will react if you do

Lewy

Also scent... eg. if you smell/have been handle the rats u feed em, you're more likely to get tagged.

I agree with serpenttongue. They probably don't realise it's fear, but I reckon we may give off different hormonal scents when scared or nervous, and the snake may smell this and react with caution, or even nervousness themselves. I have noticed different reactions in my snakes when handled by someone confident and not scared compared with someone who is very nervous.

I would agree with Sp with recognising their handler.One of big girls recognisers me,if other pll go near her she acts different.

i think it might have something to do with pulse rate to, i kno my maccie doesnt like to b handled but relly nervous ppl with a high pulse rate were as he doesnt mind ppl who are calm about it

yeh they will react when you act. i reckon hesitation is the reason so many people get bitten.
i honestly doubt the whole hormonal thing because the change in hormones wont be picked up instantly and by the time you have your snake out and on your arm, i bet you have calmed down

I have no idea but as most have said I think it has alot to do with body language. The calmer your movements are the calmer the snake is

l have been warned about viscious snakes before but as being bitten doesnt worry me they have been fine when l pick them up . Some of mine that are very calm will get very aggitated when a nervous person tries to handle them . So there must be something to it .

They definitely cannot! A confident approach is better though, because for the snake it's done with quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back