Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Viridae

Reaction score
Anyone got any photos of their herps (paticuarly the carpets which is what I am working on at the moment) that they would like to release under GDFL to be used for the wikipedia article. The best way to do this would be to get an account and upload them yourself. If you tell me the account name, I can then take the images and use them in the appropriate articles. I know some of you have taken some great photos, so some good shots representative of the subspecies would be great.

Diamond pics is what I am looking for right now. The bredli article has a decent enough pic (though if you have a really nice one you want to upload, go ahead - I will nominate it for featured picture if i think it will make the cut (exemplifies the best work on wikipedia) which means it has a chance of reaching the front page - and being seen by millions of people - wikipedia is currently sitting 8th in the traffic rankings for the whole of the net.

Also looking for pics of:

M. s. cheynei
(Jungle)
M. s. imbricata
(common name I don't know? Victorian carpet maybe?????)
M. s. mcdowelli
(Coastal - the one that is there is not very good)
M. s. metcalfei
(MD??)
M. s. variegata
(never heard of this one by species name, could it be a darwin?)

Antaresia childreni
Antaresia maculosa
(there is one already, but some of you lot take beautiful pictures)
Antaresia perthensis

M. s. imbricata [/I](common name I don't know? Victorian carpet maybe?????)
M. s. metcalfei
(MD??)
M. s. variegata
(never heard of this one by species name, could it be a darwin?)

imbricata is the South-western Carpet Python, found in WA, not Vic.
metcalfei is the Inland Carpet Python
variegata is known as the Darwins, Top End or North Western Carpets.

This is very basic background information - if you don't know this, do really think you are qualified to be writing an article for an online encyclopedia?

:|

Hix

imbricata is the South-western Carpet Python, found in WA, not Vic.
metcalfei is the Inland Carpet Python
variegata is known as the Darwins, Top End or North Western Carpets.

This is very basic background information - if you don't know this, do really think you are qualified to be writing an article for an online encyclopedia?

:|

Hix

I'm not writing, just adding pictures. That stuff was just off the top of my head - had I been adding it I would have looked for references, to verify that it was correct, and to reference the article.

So the Victorian Carpet - what is that? Is it an MD referred to by a different name?

Inland, MD and Vic Carpet are all M.s. metcalfei

Thanks, that bit was confusing me. I had previously gathered that Vic and MD were the same thing, having seem similar snakes in different shops labelled the different names. Hadn't seen anything labelled an inland, so hadn't made the connection. Being quite new to this means I am still learning.

Thanks, that bit was confusing me. I had previously gathered that Vic and MD were the same thing, having seem similar snakes in different shops labelled the different names. Hadn't seen anything labelled an inland, so hadn't made the connection. Being quite new to this means I am still learning.

dont worry everyone is still learning. i try to simply focus on scientific names instead of common names as every state seems to have a different common name for a species. but yes the only way you can learn is to research.

yeh same here i remember after i brought my pair of stimmis i went to QLD and visited a place that had a "large blotched python" came back fuming id been sold a snake i diddent no anything about.
then someone told me they were the same things.....stupid people with stupid common names!

yeh same here i remember after i brought my pair of stimmis i went to QLD and visited a place that had a "large blotched python" came back fuming id been sold a snake i diddent no anything about.
then someone told me they were the same things.....stupid people with stupid common names!

wait till you get into all the common names for tiliqua rugosa. hahah some of those have stumped me a few times when talkign to someone

If anyone has a couple of pics they want to donate to wikipedia (GDFL means you will always be credited for your work) but dont want to make an account and upload them yourself, link them here and I will deal with the licencing and uploading. I would really like to add some great pictures, as the articles are currently woefully inadequate. As an example of a featured picture on wikipedia (for which I will nominate your picture if I think it is good enough - and some of the pictures you guys take are amazing) this Anole in hawaii

Edit: that was huge, so here is a smaller version.

800px-Anole_Lizard_Hilo_Hawaii_edit.jpg

Believe it not I had trouble passing a recent reptile identification test and the ranger was dumb founded that I didn't know the common name of Tiliqua rugosa and a few others. He wanted me to write down both but I had to explain that different states, places often use different common names and they should not penalize me if I only knew the correct rigid Latin name. He was flexible only when I proved my point by showing him several books that had different common names listed. By the way, does anyone know how you write in italics in a thread as I can't seem to do it.

Believe it not I had trouble passing a recent reptile identification test and the ranger was dumb founded that I didn't know the common name of Tiliqua rugosa and a few others. He wanted me to write down both but I had to explain that different states, places often use different common names and they should not penalize me if I only knew the correct rigid Latin name. He was flexible only when I proved my point by showing him several books that had different common names listed. By the way, does anyone know how you write in italics in a thread as I can't seem to do it.

hahah yeah atleast with my examsthey dont want you to use common names so you get full amrsk for latin names. to use the italics you jstu click the little I at the top of the box or you can jstu ctrl i adn that will do the job. Tiliqua rugosa has so many commona names it was the sleepy lizard that got me the other day. im liek waht the hell is a sleepy lizard. damn south australians:p

Just press the button with the I on it, between the B for bold & U for underline at the top left of the reply box :)

It's much easier (not quicker though) to use the italics tag.

Example:
[i*]Italic font[/i*]
becomes
Italic font
when you remove the *s

Are you after natural style shots, or studio style shots, or do you not really care?

MissD from OziAnimals :lol:

Attachments

• Picture 028.jpg
    Picture 028.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 187
Okay :)

I'll be trying to lay my hands on some strobes in the near future--possibly this weekend--and plan on doing some studio-style photographs then. I might be able to offer a couple of decent cheynei photographs.

I could probably do some ramsayi and melanocephalus as well, if you're chasing those.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back