Can a snake breed with a prolapse?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ben_Imbricata

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I recently purchased a large beautiful female south west carpet python, after a feed and passing the food a prolapse was noticed, it went back in by itself. Asked the previous owner and they knew about the problem but where never too fussed about it as it solved itself within an hour or two. I purchased her as a female for my male and intended them as a breeding pair. Will it be unsafe to breed her or could pushing out eggs cause the problem to get worse? Thanks

View attachment 329930

You're saying the vendor knew about the problem but neglected to inform you about it? That's a bit disappointing on the info you've given to date.

But to your question...

Technically, yes, this snake could probably produce eggs, but the risk to the animal itself is going to be much higher than the act of defecating. My SWCPs produce around 15-18 eggs each breeding. Just imagine it passing that in one event.

It wasn't mentioned as they never had her for breeding reasons and was assured by the previous owner before them it was nothing to be concerned about as it was seen to by a vet.

But anyway she's my snake now and my responsibility.

Thats what my thoughts on it was, she is a large girl IDEAL for breeding and paired with a nice male would produce some beautiful offspring but I guess things aren't meant to be. She could be 15-20 years+ according to previous information I was given, she hasn't gotten this far in life to just to become eggbound or die through complications. As much as I would love to it wouldn't be fair on her

Certainly looks like a nice animal. I can understand you wanting young from her, and you might get away with it without complications, but yes, there's a fair chance she would have problems.

Yes I guess technically it can but it would be about as ethical as selling the animal without telling the buyer of this issue.
If you choose to do so it would/probably would exasperate the prolapse and lead to surgery being required or worse.

Is that one of those coffee table enclosure? What are dimensions,
She was in this for 2 days, In that picture she squeezed herself into the top section. Theres a pipe that connects the top and bottom in the middle

20200914_215931.jpg
[doublepost=1600092344,1600092232][/doublepost]This is what she is in now :)

20200914_220449.jpg

Back