Carpet snake

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Nick

I have only seen a few carpet pythons on the island and they all look similar in colour and pattern to the ones I have posted here.

Do these Pythons have an unusual Colour and patern?

Hi Nick

I have only seen a few carpet pythons on the island and they all look similar in colour and pattern to the ones I have posted here.

Yeah, it is a bit unusual. It looks a bit like a Darwin/intermedia but a bit different. It's quite nice and has a distinct appearance. These days everyone just wants morphs but 10-15 years ago when everyone was going nuts on localities these would have been super popular.

Hi Nick

Yes, it distinctive to mainland populations.

Yeah, it is a bit unusual. It looks a bit like a Darwin/intermedia but a bit different. It's quite nice and has a distinct appearance. These days everyone just wants morphs but 10-15 years ago when everyone was going nuts on localities these would have been super popular.
I much prefer the localities over the morphs, I would like to know if anyone is breeding this locality. I doubt it, but I can only hope.

Yes, it distinctive to mainland populations.

I much prefer the localities over the morphs, I would like to know if anyone is breeding this locality. I doubt it, but I can only hope.

I like both, but I must admit, over the last 15 years I've gone from loving localities and not liking morphs at all to actually being more interested in morphs than localities. I still do like localities though and this one does look distinct. I doubt anyone has any in captivity but it would be a cool one to have. I doubt there would be enough interest these days for them to be a thing people would keep going even if you were to release them into the hobby.

I like both, but I must admit, over the last 15 years I've gone from loving localities and not liking morphs at all to actually being more interested in morphs than localities. I still do like localities though and this one does look distinct. I doubt anyone has any in captivity but it would be a cool one to have. I doubt there would be enough interest these days for them to be a thing people would keep going even if you were to release them into the hobby.
Yes, I agree. Morphs are in the ascendancy in popularity over localities at the moment and have been for a considerable time now. This is the reason that I still haven't been able to find an Elcho Island locality childreni for sale. The few people that I know that have them don't breed them because they know they would struggle to sell the whole clutch. Hopefully the interest will swing back to localities one day.

Yes, I agree. Morphs are in the ascendancy in popularity over localities at the moment and have been for a considerable time now. This is the reason that I still haven't been able to find an Elcho Island locality childreni for sale. The few people that I know that have them don't breed them because they know they would struggle to sell the whole clutch. Hopefully the interest will swing back to localities one day.

It's a one way train, my friend. No one asks what locality their goldfish is from, they care about what colour and fin type it is, but most couldn't even tell you one country they're native to. Same goes with dogs, cats, canaries, rats, whatever type of plant you care to mention. Literally most pet owners don't have any idea where their pet originates. Ask yourself where chickens, pigs, canaries, etc are native to and you'll probably dind that for most you don't know. But you can probably name however many varieties of chickens etc. Many of the popular pet birds are Australian, but when I'm outside Australia and I say budgies and cockatiels are Australian, tbeir owners are surprised. The world's most popular pet snake is the Ball Python. Most Ball Python owners don't know what continent they're from, let alone what counties, and virtually none of them have any idea about the locality of their own Ball Python, but they usually know what morph it is.

We liked localities because it was all we had. Now we have morphs, and the number of morphs will only increase. New keepers now have morphs to choose from (there were no recognised morphs in Australia when I bought my first snakes). Most new keepers now won't even realise enthusiasm for localities used to be a thing. Even around 20 years ago when I was a mad keen locality nut, when I told buyers about the locality data of the snakes they had just bought from me, the majority didn't care and were confused about why I was bothering to tell them.

I saw a pair of Elchos a few days ago actually, they were the offspring of a pair which I produced and sold about 15 years ago, I was surprised and delighted to see them. Just as you say though, the owner wasn't bothering to breed them. Back when I was breeding them most of the buyers just wanted Children's Pythons and the fact that they were Elchos was unimportant to most buyers. Much more exciting to them was that they were reduced pattern.

It's a one way train, my friend. No one asks what locality their goldfish is from, they care about what colour and fin type it is, but most couldn't even tell you one country they're native to. Same goes with dogs, cats, canaries, rats, whatever type of plant you care to mention. Literally most pet owners don't have any idea where their pet originates. Ask yourself where chickens, pigs, canaries, etc are native to and you'll probably dind that for most you don't know. But you can probably name however many varieties of chickens etc. Many of the popular pet birds are Australian, but when I'm outside Australia and I say budgies and cockatiels are Australian, tbeir owners are surprised. The world's most popular pet snake is the Ball Python. Most Ball Python owners don't know what continent they're from, let alone what counties, and virtually none of them have any idea about the locality of their own Ball Python, but they usually know what morph it is.

We liked localities because it was all we had. Now we have morphs, and the number of morphs will only increase. New keepers now have morphs to choose from (there were no recognised morphs in Australia when I bought my first snakes). Most new keepers now won't even realise enthusiasm for localities used to be a thing. Even around 20 years ago when I was a mad keen locality nut, when I told buyers about the locality data of the snakes they had just bought from me, the majority didn't care and were confused about why I was bothering to tell them.

I saw a pair of Elchos a few days ago actually, they were the offspring of a pair which I produced and sold about 15 years ago, I was surprised and delighted to see them. Just as you say though, the owner wasn't bothering to breed them. Back when I was breeding them most of the buyers just wanted Children's Pythons and the fact that they were Elchos was unimportant to most buyers. Much more exciting to them was that they were reduced pattern.

Yes, I see the writing on the wall. I will continue to hope though. I agree with you on the general lack of knowledge most people have about the origins of their pets.

Please let me know if the owner of the pair of Elchos ever thinks of pairing them.

Yes, I see the writing on the wall. I will continue to hope though. I agree with you on the general lack of knowledge most people have about the origins of their pets.

Please let me know if the owner of the pair of Elchos ever thinks of pairing them.

At least you can see the writing on the wall. It's pretty clear. I don't exactly think it's a problem though. Most people have no idea where domestic cats originally come from but that doesn't mean they can't take care of a cat. There's not really any difference between the conditions which keep an African Ball Python happy and an Australian Antaresia happy, whether that Antaresia is from the desert or tropical rainforest.

I'm going to be honest, if he tells me he in pairing them up in 6 months I'm definitely going to forget. I might say 'Oh, a guy online was asking about Elchos, I wish I knew who he was'. Just being realistic! If you want to ask me around early June I'll see what he's doing and suggest he pairs them, and/or if you get in touch around November I can ask if there are eggs. Feel free to send me a private message :)

Hi St3v3

As you may already know, the colours and patterns of wild Carpets can vary considerably even within a given area. Here's a few pics of some nice looking wild carpets taken over the last 12 months by my good mate Shane Black. All were located within a 20klm radius of a location in Far North Qld. He mainly photographs Taipans but comes across stunners like these on occasions. If you or anyone else is interested in having a gander at his pics they can be found on flickr.

49190674501_a647a59fe9_b.jpg 49185606882_7e565eaf52_z.jpg 49140148707_6dbffd9acd_z.jpg 48775019397_4559e570da_z.jpg

I have to admit I’m a morph/rare kind of person

But there definitely are some locales I want to get my hands on

Such as the Mt isa/dajarra locale :0

I really like bright colours or unusual looking such as axanthics or paradox etc

At least you can see the writing on the wall. It's pretty clear. I don't exactly think it's a problem though. Most people have no idea where domestic cats originally come from but that doesn't mean they can't take care of a cat. There's not really any difference between the conditions which keep an African Ball Python happy and an Australian Antaresia happy, whether that Antaresia is from the desert or tropical rainforest.

I'm going to be honest, if he tells me he in pairing them up in 6 months I'm definitely going to forget. I might say 'Oh, a guy online was asking about Elchos, I wish I knew who he was'. Just being realistic! If you want to ask me around early June I'll see what he's doing and suggest he pairs them, and/or if you get in touch around November I can ask if there are eggs. Feel free to send me a private message :)
Will do, thanks.
[doublepost=1578623954,1578623865][/doublepost]

I really like bright colours or unusual looking such as axanthics or paradox etc
I would love to get my hands on a Mt Isa/Dajarra as well.

Hi St3v3

As you may already know, the colours and patterns of wild Carpets can vary considerably even within a given area. Here's a few pics of some nice looking wild carpets taken over the last 12 months by my good mate Shane Black. All were located within a 20klm radius of a location in Far North Qld. He mainly photographs Taipans but comes across stunners like these on occasions. If you or anyone else is interested in having a gander at his pics they can be found on flickr.

View attachment 328270 View attachment 328271 View attachment 328272 View attachment 328273

Some really nice looking Carpets there.

Some populations are more variable than others. Particularly variable are populations where different habitat types meet, such as the Area Shane is taking these pictures. Particularly consistent are small islands.

Is their much info around these days about the St Francis Island population of carpet pythons in captivity?

Last edited:

Will do, thanks.
[doublepost=1578623954,1578623865][/doublepost]
I would love to get my hands on a Mt Isa/Dajarra as well.

There’s a woman I know of who has hatchling and yearling Dajarras for sale, pm me for her phone number and you can speak with her direct.

Is their much info around these days about the St Francis Island population of carpet pythons in captivity?
A member on here had one but he's since been banned.
[doublepost=1589873770,1589873600][/doublepost]
There’s a woman I know of who has hatchling and yearling Dajarras for sale, pm me for her phone number and you can speak with her direct.
Thanks Lurker, pm sent.

Latest posts

Back