Cricket parasites (hairworms)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TristanS

Not so new Member
Reaction score
C5DFE0C7-2ABC-48CD-AA85-37320CD0030C.jpeg I have noticed several times with pisces enterprises crickets appear to have parasitic hairworms. is this just me or is it a thing. Please look at crickets in enclosures for hairworms.

Hairworms are a parasitic worm that infect crickets, they are waterborne parasites and when fully grown they burst out of the crickets abdomen. If you see one with crickets, take that cricket out of the enclosure and kill it, and disinfect water bowl.

18223D5E-0652-40DD-AFB1-640200BB00CF.jpeg

Last edited:
Hi, I’ve worked with possibly a million crickets at this point from pisces and have never seen a parasitic worm

We offer them a whole carrot cut length ways (2 pieces) or very shallow water bowls with pebbles for them to get out of the water

Smaller crickets only get small chunks round chunks

I think they are actually little maggots that belong to a small fly, I sometimes see these in my tubs of crickets , they eat the dead crickets and I believe are harmless to healthy crickets.
More likely to see them in a tub in warm humid weather.
When the flies are about, the only way to avoid them infesting a tub is to make sure any dead or sick crickets are removed ( the wild skinks and birds outside get these throw onto the grass for them and make fast work of them ), don't let them start going off , the fluids created seem to cause otherwise healthy crickets to get sick plus they really stink ( think rotten prawns on hot day ).

I've not bought PISCUS crickets for over 5 years , my usual source of crickets is BIOSUPPLIES or LIVEFOODS , given up on FROG ARCADE as they seem to have very frequent long term problems with supply of crickets bigger than 1/3 size.

I give my crickets segments of fresh carrot about 1 inch long and bok choy whites to hydrate them.
My crickets don't get standing water.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back