Differences between Diamonds and Bredlis husbandry

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattPat

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I've kept Diamonds before and am about to jump into the world of Bredlis. Should be interesting!
As I've been reading and learning about Bredli's, i've noticed that they seem to have somewhat similar husbandry requirements to Diamonds, in that:
- both seem to be at risk of getting too much heat
- both prefer cool temps at night
- both prefer very cool temps in Winter
- both require low to moderate levels of humidity
- both are semi- arboreal to arboreal
- both prefer heat from a light source rather than under belly heat.

Am I right to draw the similarities? Am I missing something?

By the way I'm in Sydney.

Would be good to hear your thoughts.

Hi Mattpat
I have 2 coastal x diamonds and a bredli. I keep them all in basicaly the same way, same temps , same humidity, same day night cycle , same food. They all basicaly behave the same. I provide underfloor heat 24/7 and aditional day heat with a 40 watt incandecent light on a timer. They all love their belly heat, not sure why they would prefer heat from a light bulb ? But they do make great pets, good luck.

Hi Mattpat
I have 2 coastal x diamonds and a bredli. I keep them all in basicaly the same way, same temps , same humidity, same day night cycle , same food. They all basicaly behave the same. I provide underfloor heat 24/7 and aditional day heat with a 40 watt incandecent light on a timer. They all love their belly heat, not sure why they would prefer heat from a light bulb ? But they do make great pets, good luck.

Thanks mate.
Do you use a thermostat at all?

In my bredli enclosure , yes , but for the others i run their heat cords through dimmer switch,s and make adjustments when needed. I check their temps at least twice a day , but when i have finnished building their new enclosures they will all be run with thermostats.

In my bredli enclosure , yes , but for the others i run their heat cords through dimmer switch,s and make adjustments when needed. I check their temps at least twice a day , but when i have finnished building their new enclosures they will all be run with thermostats.
Good to hear. But where is the probe in the tank, given that you run a basking spot and a heat mat?

The basking spot and heat cord are on the same side , i have thermometer probes in the hottest and coolest parts of the enclosure and the thermostat probe about halfway between.

Hi MattPat,

I have only had my bredli a little while, and have only recently given her a good basking spot and she is using it more than belly heat (I'm at 32deg. there) since. I'm using a 60w spotlight around 10-12hr a day. It gets to 34-35 directly under but it has a shaded bit 27-29 right there too, she moves around to thermo regulate and sat at 31 point something today, it's cool to watch. When the heat lamp goes out, she gets active, it's my favourite part of the day to watch her for a bit.

Hi MattPat,

I have only had my bredli a little while, and have only recently given her a good basking spot and she is using it more than belly heat (I'm at 32deg. there) since. I'm using a 60w spotlight around 10-12hr a day. It gets to 34-35 directly under but it has a shaded bit 27-29 right there too, she moves around to thermo regulate and sat at 31 point something today, it's cool to watch. When the heat lamp goes out, she gets active, it's my favourite part of the day to watch her for a bit.

Looks like a nice set up mate.
Do you use a thermostat with the spot / basking light? Not sure you'd need to with a 60w globe.
[doublepost=1605092416,1605092380][/doublepost]
Hi MattPat,

Also are you in Sydney?

Their ideal husbandry is quite similar, but bredli are tough as old boots and will tolerate far more and continue thriving, while Diamonds are not strong animals and generally don't stay healthy very long after reaching maturity and don't tend to live much longer than that, even with pretty good conditions. Bredli will do fine when kept as any other Carpet, but Diamonds are among the least common snakes to do well long term, even in the care of highly experienced keepers.

Do you use a thermostat with the spot / basking light? Not sure you'd need to with a 60w globe.

No mate, I have the thermostat probe on the heat mat in the warm end hide, keeping the floor there at 32 ish, it goes down to 30-31 when the lamp has been on several hours, but the ledge gets to 34+ by then, oh the ledge is about 300mm under the wire of the lamp. That big rock sits around 27. Up on the big branch was 35 point something today - it's a bit offset to the light - which might not be as obvious in pic. I monitor temps all around the enclosure with a temp gun a fair bit out of interest.

I'm in N.E. Victoria :)

Their ideal husbandry is quite similar, but bredli are tough as old boots and will tolerate far more and continue thriving, while Diamonds are not strong animals and generally don't stay healthy very long after reaching maturity and don't tend to live much longer than that, even with pretty good conditions. Bredli will do fine when kept as any other Carpet, but Diamonds are among the least common snakes to do well long term, even in the care of highly experienced keepers.

Thanks Sdaji.

Bearing in mind that I'm from Sydney - do you think the risk is keeping Bredli's too hot or too cold? Or are they so tough it doesn't really matter?

Thanks Sdaji.

Bearing in mind that I'm from Sydney - do you think the risk is keeping Bredli's too hot or too cold? Or are they so tough it doesn't really matter?

I can't see either being an issue for bredli in Sydney. It's certainly not too hot and they're dead easy to keep in colder climates. I've had no trouble in Melbourne. Bredli come from a very harsh environment which gets extremely hot and cold, often extremely dry, sometimes wet (it wouldn't be surprising if high humidity bothered them, but as it happens, they seem at least as tolerant of it as any other Carpet), which is probably why they're so tough. It's a bit odd that Diamonds are by far the most sensitive of the Carpets, with all others being fairly to extremely tough and Diamonds so consistently doing badly, especially with things like Murray Darlings being so tough despite having extremely similar ideal requirements, but it is what it is.

Latest posts

Back