Eastern Bearded Dragon - Breeders?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Overland

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Im new to the whole bearded dragon thing, Im trying to find a breeder close to sydney/wollongong who sells eastern bearded dragons

Ive got no real preference but I remember catching one many many years ago as a school kid,

am I right also in that like northern and eastern bluetongues, eastern bearded dragons would require less heating?

sadly all im able to find is the ever popular central bearded dragon

while I do see how the boring grey and dayglow orange mouth might not be everyones cup of tea and borderline ugly for thier less refined body, if given the chance id love to own one

stupidly I put an eastern on my companion licence assuming wrong, but while the change of species thing is floating around, id like to see id its viable to stick to

anyone have any leads/experience/advise?

Thanks

Not many eastern bearded dragon breeders about, mostly they focus on centrals and henry lawsoni ( pygmy bearded dragons - yanks call them Rankins ) .
I think it's mainly to do with lack of high coloured morphs and familiarity ( easterns in the wild are everywhere in Victoria, NSW and QLD ).
There's a breeder in Wagga Wagga ,https://www.reptileclassifieds.com.au/ads/hatchling-eastern-bearded-dragond/
[email protected] , they might have a clutch of eggs incubating right now or perhaps have some hatchlings ready to sell.

If you want an eastern bluetongue here are some located in Beechwood NSW ( near Pt Macquarie ): https://www.reptileclassifieds.com.au/ads/eastern-blue-tongue-skinks/
[email protected]
or this breeder in Sydney https://www.reptileclassifieds.com.au/ads/10x-eastern-bluetongues/
[email protected]
or this breeder near Sydney https://www.reptileclassifieds.com.au/ads/baby-eastern-bluetongue-lizards/
[email protected]

You might have more luck finding an eastern water dragon hatchling. They are great pets too, but grow to about 1kg and near 1m long.

Regards your companion pet licence , I can't see there being any drama changing the reptile species once you find the lizard you want for sale and buy it , I'd simply not bother telling Wildlife, no point IMO, it's only one reptile involved and it's not worth the hassle of getting the details "adjusted".
When it comes time to renew the permit, that's the time to make the change regards species of reptile you have as a pet.

I recommend once you know for sure the species , that's the time to sort out the housing and husbandry requirements.

Last edited:
Eastern water dragons gave some interesting food for thought, thankyou :)

the liveliness of a bearded dragon, the adaptivity of naga with the same colour scheme and the size of a small monitor, seems like my own perfect hybrid.

still though, locking eyes with common eastern bluetongues shows where my heart truly lies, I may just head for a legal captive naga mk II, i highly doubt water dragons would make good trowsersnakes aka nagas preference or snuggle pets, could be wrong though

ive had a good look around with a few enquiries pending, for all the downsides of NSW and its hyperactive legality and regulation vs other states

we do have an impressive train network, and bluetongues love dark comfortable bags

as long as any sale is near a station its viable :)

on a sidenote, eastern water dragon wise, its solved a great unknown to me for many years

theres a shop here locally backing onto a creek, on most days, what I thought to be a giant bluetongue is seen basking in the exact same spot (likely a wild friend of the shop owner)

it moves at speeds impossible for a bluetongue and always has its head up.

after all this time, ive discovered thats what im looking at

a water dragon in bluetongue livery :)

Some breeders will deliver the lizard to your home either in person if you live nearby or via a friend who happens to be heading past, always worth asking if you don't have the mobility or a car and cant visit them or meet them at a handy place.

Others will ship to you by courier (I've never bought this way but others do).

Always nice to see the mom and dad lizard for the one you are buying , and to get to choose the lizard that you like from the litter/clutch (or be chosen by the lizard as was the case for me with George and Mildred when they were very little, crawled right up to me and onto my lap , so that was why I chose them).

Furthest I've travelled to buy a reptile from a breeder was 90min by car ( was a run to Gresford to buy 2 hatchling central bearded dragons ). I refuse to travel to Sydney to buy ( hate driving to or in Sydney - I always get lost in that place ).

Last edited:
thanks mate, all good advise :) happily nagas experience when she crawled in my backpack and went shopping unknown to me proven that a backpack is a very safe, and comfortable way to transport a lizard, for safety though ill be taking something crush-safe when I pickup the 3 month old,

ive made contact with a breeder in tuggarah newcastle way, a nice 3 hour train trip for me each way, I do the same timeframe each day for work but its a well known journey for me as I used to goto newcastle just to see the 720 railcars when newcastle area was thier very last territory, I love trains so coming home with a bluetongue will be a beautiful conclusion

ive settled for a bluetongue first up because of the naga experience that should directly translate on all fronts, at a later date ill upgrade licences and get an eastern water dragon for the best of both worlds in matching livery :)

a video of one chewing a blokes toe made me think naga never bit me so ill go with known territory yet :)

thanks for all the help, I didnt know about reptile classifieds until you told me

if all goes well ill be meeting the breeder this weekend at the train station

lovely animal, but doesnt look too snuggleworthy and trying to trowsersnake this one may lead to amputation :)

A small dog or cat carrier works for an adult skink or dragon.
Baby skinks or hatchling dragons travel well in "ventilated" take away plastic tubs, or a ventilated clickclak style tub ( more secure lids ).

I think ill go with the small pillowcase in a clip style container for good measure, itll be a few weeks old im told

Latest posts

Back