New APS Logo - The Vote

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stuart

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Diamond-python has very kindly taken time out of his week to design some mock ups of the new APS logos. Needless to say, I am overly impressed and very grateful for the excellent designs he has sent through and I am sure you will be impressed too.

On that note, could you guys have a look and vote on what you think should be the next Aussie Pythons and Snakes logo?

Stu

Attachments

• LOGO_SHEET.jpg
    LOGO_SHEET.jpg
    329.7 KB · Views: 517
Hi All,

Diamond-python has very kindly taken time out of his week to design some mock ups of the new APS logos. Needless to say, I am overly impressed and very grateful for the excellent designs he has sent through and I am sure you will be impressed too.

On that note, could you guys have a look and vote on what you think should be the next Aussie Pythons and Snakes logo?

Stu
Thanks for the kind words Stu, So looking forward to seeing what the community thinks and which one they choose

Cool designs!

I like the first one, maybe we could have the colours of a certain species e.g GTP, RSP, Jungle, Scrubby, or any morelia in general

Bredli

Cool designs!

I like the first one, maybe we could have the colours of a certain species e.g GTP, RSP, Jungle, Scrubby, or any morelia in general

Bredli

The reference for it is actually a GTP, so if it is the chosen one then the colours will be reflecting your thoughts potentially

I like the design on the 4th one. Think it suits the forum [emoji1]

Stu, without trying to throw cold water on the idea, I think the current logo looks substantially better than any of those pictured above.

Is APS turning into a security company?

No it is not, what in the above prompts that thought? I am just trying to generate more interest in the forum and change previous thoughts around it as well as give it a bit of a face lift. Diamond-python has kindly volunteered his time to help out which has resulted in this post and the vote so please feel free to share your thoughts on the designs..

Stu, without trying to throw cold water on the idea, I think the current logo looks substantially better than any of those pictured above.
Cheers Chris, no water thrown, all opinions are welcomed.

It does bring to mind that I should get a thread up about proposed site changes so they can be discussed and ideas thrown around though

Is APS turning into a security company?

I can see where you might get that. These designs as are as mentioned mock-ups. By no way final, just choosing the direction. The design process goes through several phases before an outcome is reached and this is just the second stage. A brand, an image and a message all captured in a logo needs careful thought, planning and consideration. Hence asking everyone to vote on the direction. After all it is the visual identity of the community we are all a part of and the logo must reflect that identity quite clearly to anyone who see's it. I know design, it is my chosen occupation and this community consultation is vital in the success of designing a new logo. There is method in the madness here from a design perspective and subtle guidance toward the right design is reflected here if not easily seen from a non design perspective. There is thought behind colour choice which has a subconscious message and also shapes that have meaning unrecognisable to the conscious mind as well.

So to sum it up I have method from years of learning and experience of being able to make a design that meets the needs of a brand, product, service or in this case community. One that conveys the message successfully even if it is on a level that needs a trained eye to determine where it lies within the design. Yeah I know this is a little deeper than your question posed, but among my passion for pythons, I am very passionate about good design as well and I can tend to ramble on about my passions...haha. So what I have done is deliver a choice and subconsciously steered everyone to the one I know will deliver what it needs to without saying, choose this one because....

- - - Updated - - -

I like that saying 'throwing cold water on it' I agree the old logo is cool, but it is quite dated though. And without going on a ramble as I tend to go. Brand identity evolves with time so changing and updating is a necessity to keep interest within the brand, product or service and keep the message current and in line with the goals.

Without going in depth, here are two good reasons for updating - Consumers make instant decisions, often with visual aid. An updated brand identity can help provide the positive, instinctive response you are looking for - If your business or in this case forum has undergone some important changes it's time to ditch the old brand impression and start fresh. Rebranding can be tricky, but the insight and experience from a professional graphic designer can ensure that your rebranding effort will be successful.

So basically there is no choice and you know what's best for us and our community. What on earth is the point of this thread?

So basically there is no choice and you know what's best for us and our community. What on earth is the point of this thread?
the point is consensus and giving a voice to the decision and I am definitely giving the community the choice. We could quite conceivably not go with any of these designs, if that is what the community decides. So feel free to give voice to none of the designs. The point of good design is to be flexible and fluid in your approach and most of all consultative, which is the whole point of this vote. Remember these are mock-ups and go through a series of changes refinements etc. before producing a final logo that is truly what is needed and representative of the community.

I can see where you might get that. These designs as are as mentioned mock-ups. By no way final, just choosing the direction. The design process goes through several phases before an outcome is reached and this is just the second stage. A brand, an image and a message all captured in a logo needs careful thought, planning and consideration. Hence asking everyone to vote on the direction. After all it is the visual identity of the community we are all a part of and the logo must reflect that identity quite clearly to anyone who see's it. I know design, it is my chosen occupation and this community consultation is vital in the success of designing a new logo. There is method in the madness here from a design perspective and subtle guidance toward the right design is reflected here if not easily seen from a non design perspective. There is thought behind colour choice which has a subconscious message and also shapes that have meaning unrecognisable to the conscious mind as well.

So to sum it up I have method from years of learning and experience of being able to make a design that meets the needs of a brand, product, service or in this case community. One that conveys the message successfully even if it is on a level that needs a trained eye to determine where it lies within the design. Yeah I know this is a little deeper than your question posed, but among my passion for pythons, I am very passionate about good design as well and I can tend to ramble on about my passions...haha. So what I have done is deliver a choice and subconsciously steered everyone to the one I know will deliver what it needs to without saying, choose this one because....

So you made 4 completely naff ones and then one that you want to progress on just so we'd all pick the one you wanted to go with in the first place. Democratic I must say...

No it is not, what in the above prompts that thought? I am just trying to generate more interest in the forum and change previous thoughts around it as well as give it a bit of a face lift. Diamond-python has kindly volunteered his time to help out which has resulted in this post and the vote so please feel free to share your thoughts on the designs..

And it is working and as a member I am appreciative of this.
As frog has stated above himself is what gave me that impression. that and the fact his naffy ones all look like security badges...
These are those instant first impressions that they give off for me, and I'm sure I'm not the only one. Trying to be helpful and critical at the same time is a fine line.

As frog has stated above himself is what gave me that impression. that and the fact his naffy ones all look like security badges...
These are those instant first impressions that they give off for me, and I'm sure I'm not the only one. Trying to be helpful and critical at the same time is a fine line.

Fair call mate, apologies for the rash response to your initial post and thanks for the input.

So you made 4 completely naff ones and then one that you want to progress on just so we'd all pick the one you wanted to go with in the first place. Democratic I must say...

There is no fine line, being open, honest and frank about what you think is vitally important and very valuable. So being critical is very helpful, so thank you, this is what I want everyone to do. I am part of this community too and in saying that still new, so I cannot purport to know it well enough to make decisions for it. The reasoning behind it all is to get the conversation going and the input of the community. It is all part of the initial stages of developing something that everyone loves. The biggest and most important part of being a designer is being flexible and fluid and able to take on board all input and design with all that critique, good and bad in mind. My intent and purpose is to design to the complete satisfaction of the client and in this case community. If these mock-ups are all in the wrong direction then we go back and re-design, invent until we get it right. What my intention is to purely make sure the direction is good design, design that delivers the intended impression and message. You saying things like security badges and naffy gives me very valuable insight and helps me to evaluate direction colours and design. It may well be that at the end of this vote and discussion, I discard all the designs and come up with a completely new one. All part of ensuring we get it right! So thanks again and I encourage everyone to be open and honest and say it exactly like they see it

Agreed. security logo / transformer logo were my first thoughts. and I don't like any of them.

I also agree that we need a change, out with the old, in with the new. Otherwise to many that have left for what ever reason will pop back in and think that nothing has changed.
even the overall colour scheme should be changed, of course this is just my opinion.

could we maybe extend this to the broader community and ask them to draft up their suggestions, (even a quick sketch of what they think,) then [MENTION=27815]Stuart[/MENTION] could narrow it down to what he likes and TwistedFrog can offer his expertise. and then put them up for a one month public vote. That way its not dragging on for months,

I don't see anything wrong with the existing logo, but maybe I am bias. Old logo is giving this site something the other sites don,t have. Representation over decade in Herpetology of Australia on top of the ranking ladder. You are doing great job with the Site Stue, My advice would be to build on great history APS have. Complete change of the logo will take something away. Maybe improvement and dress up of old design would be better option.

Cheers for the advice Slateman, thats food for thought

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back