Shingleback shedding

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PcPaul

Reaction score
Hi,I picked up a pair of Shinglebacks 3-4 weeks ago.The male was shedding at the time and is still shedding ,he has not eaten and is generally lethargic compared to the female.The female has just shed which took 3 days and never stopped eating (I think she is pregnant aswell).
(They are in a 4x2x2 Reptile one enclosure with a basking area and hides)
Thanks for any advice

So he hasn’t eaten at all within the last 3-4 weeks? That is a tad concerning if you are providing sufficient heat. Has he started shedding ?(skin coming off in pieces) or looks to be in shed? If it’s just the case of the shed coming off slowly I suggest giving him a bath in some warm water to help loosen the skin and you should be able to assist him in gently pulling it off. Is he staying in the cold end of the tank? Or is he coming out to bask? shinglebacks are funny creatures, some of them are super active while others are naturally very lazy. But if he’s staying on the cold end of the tank it may be a case of a respiratory infection(this is very common in captive shinglebacks). Have you noticed any mouth breathing, regular Sneezing, fluid around the eyes/nose? If this is the case, he will need to go to the vet for antibiotics. I suggest separating the two if he is sick also so she doesn’t catch it.
Hope this helps.

So he hasn’t eaten at all within the last 3-4 weeks? That is a tad concerning if you are providing sufficient heat. Has he started shedding ?(skin coming off in pieces) or looks to be in shed? If it’s just the case of the shed coming off slowly I suggest giving him a bath in some warm water to help loosen the skin and you should be able to assist him in gently pulling it off. Is he staying in the cold end of the tank? Or is he coming out to bask? shinglebacks are funny creatures, some of them are super active while others are naturally very lazy. But if he’s staying on the cold end of the tank it may be a case of a respiratory infection(this is very common in captive shinglebacks). Have you noticed any mouth breathing, regular Sneezing, fluid around the eyes/nose? If this is the case, he will need to go to the vet for antibiotics. I suggest separating the two if he is sick also so she doesn’t catch it.
Hope this helps.
I gave him a bath and finished his shed for him,he basks in the hot end with no sign of RI just wont eat and lethargic, he does drink.

I gave him a bath and finished his shed for him,he basks in the hot end with no sign of RI just wont eat and lethargic, he does drink.
Interesting. Is he losing condition ? If not I wouldn’t worry too much. Maybe just keep track of his weight for now. In the winter months shinglebacks will go off food for sometimes upwards of 4/5 months. If he starts losing condition I’d suggest taking him to a vet. It’s hard to pin point the problem without knowing the fine details such as your husbandry, food, temps etc.

Latest posts

Back