Sydney Humidity

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zer0tonin

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, with all the heavy rains the last few days around the Sydney area, the humidity around my house has spiked to 80-85%. I have a woma and a bredli, and I’m worried that this is not going to do them any favours. I can’t afford to run my air conditioner for more than a few minutes at a time, and I’m considering getting a dehumidifier, but I keep them in my garage which doesn’t keep the air in like the house does.
Does anyone know if this is going to cause them problems? And if there’s any effective ways of controlling the humidity?

Why can't you afford to run your aircon ?

I run my Fugjitsu split aircon virtually 24/7 in summer and it's not that expensive . I'm retired and on a fixed income.

I don't think a short period of low to mid 80s RH will cause any problems for your reptiles.

Relevance? It’s expensive.
I know millionaire self funded retirees who think they can't afford to turn on the aircon in their home or car.
It's a stuipid situation, they spend $2000 to $5000 on a split aircon or ducted system that sits there idly doing nothing most days.

But really , not true if your run the aircon the correct way .

Most people make the following mistakes
* they think the salespeople who sell aircon units actually know what they are talking about = not true. Most these are know nothing sales assistants who likely never made it past year 10
* they think aircon techs who also sell aircon units know what they are talking about = really not true , most are glorified plumbers with at best a trade cert from the local tafe
* they buy under sized units based on the advise given by the above and wonder why it has to work HARD to cool the room/s or house , reason , it's incapable of extracting the heat stored in the warm humid air, the walls ,the floors, the ceilings , the furnature , result rather than just needing to idle the compressor fan it's funning flat out when ever the unit is on , hence more electricity consumed
* rather than letting aircon run 24/7 , people only run it for short periods each day , see above
* they set the thermostat too low ( 21 degC , when 26 degC is nice ) , see above
* they set the fan speed to the highest setting , rather than automatic speed , see above
* they forget to regularly clean the filters , aircon has to work harder to pull air through a dirty filter .

Last edited:
I agree with CFConstrictor.

When not out hunting or looking for a mate, these animals spend their time in burrows or similar structures. Part of the reason for this is to reduce water lost via breathing. Every exhaled breath is 100% humid, as the lungs have to maintain a film of moisture to dissolve oxygen so it can enter the cells. The lower humidity of air being inhaled means a certain amount of moisture is lost with each breath. By trapping moist exhaled air in the end of the burrow, it allows the humidity to build up, which reduces moisture loss. So in nature they are used to intermittent periods of high humidity. This isn’t critical in captivity because we supply water to drink.

Latest posts

Back