water dragon care (I need my care fact checked for me)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TristanS

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Before I start, what I am going to say as care is what I thought the care is through research. I will need a person who either has a water dragon (eastern or Gippsland) to fact check this thread and respond to me anything I missed and also any mistakes I made.
Here we go:

TEMPERATURES:
Basking: 30-33c
Cooler end 20-25c
(monitored by thermometer and thermostat)

UV:
10.0 tube or compact bulb (in reflector) near basking spot (as they associate heat with light)
Natural sunlight is best.

ENCLOSURE
Minimum: 4'(W)x3'(D)x3'(H)
Ideal: 6'(W)x3'(D)x4'(H)
(size in ft)

HABITAT REQUIREMENTS:
2 reasonably sized hides in different areas of enclosure (1 warm, 1 cool)
Basking spot (rock or branch)
Large water bowl (that allows soaking at minimum), easy to escape to prevent drowning
Climbing elements
deep-dish substrate.

DIET:
Many vegetables
Live feeders (crickets, mealworms, Dubiah roaches)
Lean meat (occasional fuzzy or pinky)
(essentially what a beardie can eat)
[doublepost=1578610147,1578524762][/doublepost]is this care accurate?

Perfect, sounds like you’re an expert already. You can feed them any veges, but mine personally loves fruits like mango, rockmelon, strawberries, banana, grapes or pretty much any fruit you could think of (makes about 25% of their diet), dust any insects you feed to it with calcium powder, helps their bones grow properly. Enclosure size and lighting sound good, mine’s 5x3x3 with a big basking UV/UVB bulb on one side with a big seperate section of water on the other, about 1/3 of the enclosure and around 20 cm deep, enough so they can dive and swim. Throw in some branches, rocks and plants and your gippie should be very happy :)
Edit: once they get big you can feed them mice, big chunks of lean meat and they also love goldfish and apparently crab

Back