Beardie food transition

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hi all,
Im not sure if you remember but i had a post about a sick beardie hatchie i have. After a bit of extra tlc the little critter is as good as gold and chasing crickets all over his 4 foot tank home.
My new question is, as crickets are expensive and i dont want to breed them ( i am going to start breeding SFR's) i want to know how is the best way to get them to start eating stuff like veges, dog+cat food, fruit and bearded dragon pellets as these are a cheaper and much healthier diet, i cant really see them eating insects the rest of their life. I want to have the insects as a weekly treat, not a staple diet as they are now.

Any help and info would be great.

Cheers, Alan.

don't know about the rest but i just placed it in there and they started eating it. other wise slowly reduce the amount of crickets until there are no crickets. and all they are eating is veges and pellets.

Try bok choy apparently they cant get enough of it! Just make sure to chop it um very fine.

Regards Ether

Chop some veggies up, pull the legs off a few crix and put them on top.

Also you can just move the veggies by poking them with your finger. The movement can stimulate them to taste it.

what i recommend is to chop greens, fruit ect.
then add a few mealworms or maggots to the bowl and the movement will stimulate them to eat!!

i started mine on sfr's and just added a plate with dragon food, i also chopped up apple, carrot, tomato and celery, i only feed the sfr's every other day, it didn't take them long to adjust.....

cheers,
steve6610..........

Shermy I'm so glad he's better.

Have you tried just a few small soft mealworms?

If you put the among the veges it makes the veges move and they get mouthfulls.
Crickets are expensive and keep dying on us. - I tried the dried crickets but they only eat them by accident if they're stuck to something else.

Even earthworms, slugs or slaters, kept for a day or 2 before and fed cricket protien gel.

Shermy, we feed our dandelions and milkthistle as well, I put them amongst the veggies and moving things and they go for them. They like yellow - I think. lol

They like the pellets but they have favourite colours. All the brown ones will be left in one cage and all the green in another. :?
Frozen peas, popped out of the shell and thawed, banana, apple and grapes.

Em

dont feed them one treat kind of food only. while i was in melbourne my dad only feed him mostly cheries. he is hooked on them now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back