frilled necked lizards

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

westhamsc

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
just wondering if any of you guys keep these. i'm getting a hatchling at the end of this year. and wanted to learn about them. also any good books and web sites would be very helpful

thanks Jacob

I found this, might help a bit. Just basic info.

Frilled Dragons got their name from their ability to extend huge flaps of skin on their neck as aggressive/defensive displays, or to show off for females. They are large arboreal lizards in the northern coastal portion of Australia and the southern part of New Guinea. They are Agamids, like the Bearded Dragon. Frilled Dragons are docile, active, and very curious. They love to climb and are very active in captivity. Overall, they are intelligent and calm, only becoming aggressive when they feel threatened. When they are frightened, their unique defensive posture kicks in; they enlarge and rattle their massive frill and then make hissing sounds, with their mouths in an aggressive expression. If frightened, they may flee on two feet. It should be noted that once Frilleds become accustomed to their captive environment, most will rarely, if ever, display their frill. Sexing is relatively hard, but males will begin to show hemipenal bulges around six months. Frilled Dragons range in color from olive to grayish-brown to nearly all black. Their frill ranges in color from yellow to orange to jet-black, along with spots of orange, red, and white. At maturity, they will reach a length of 30 inches from nose to tail. The body is about 10 inches in length. The frill is large, measuring up to 14 inches.

I also just finished a basic reptile course. The keeper who did it keeps frillies and said itz pretty hard to get a lizard to adult size without kinks in the tail or spine. He brought 2 in to show us one was an adult male absolutely perfect the other was younger but with kinks in itz tail. They were both kept in the exact same condition.

Sorry bout the long reply but they interest me too, I'd like to know more about them...

~Ella

(I got that from www.zionspets.com/store/product56.html
I also found this. Itz got stax of links

http://www.kingsnake.com/australia/australia.htm

Jacob,
They are a fairly easy lizard to keep but i wouldn't recommend for a first lizard(i doubt it's your first) basically with juvis keep them warm, at least 30c at the cool end and make sure they have a basking spot.
Juvis need to be sprayed daily and they will not drink out of water bowls, unless the water is moving, spraying the water bowl will encourage them to drink from it. If they don't, spray them and make sure they get a drink from it.
Once they get older they get hardier but some will sulk if theres something they don't like (usually moving cage) when they are like this they won't eat or drink, but covering the cage front and leaving them alone for a few days or even weeks will settle them down.
One thing i have found very important with them is to provide vertical branches, they will nearly always sit on them.

I wouldn't say they are good pets, they like to sit but don't like to be restrained like you can when handling beardies, they also have alot sharper claws then most other dragons. Most can be fairly tame but generally don't like handling, IMO they are the best dragon and you won't be disapointed.

thanks NoOne it's far from my first lizard a mate of mine has a pair and they are one of the best lizards second only to the knob-tailed gecko.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back