Has anyone done umbiased testing on electronic snake repellers?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've only seen them in use a couple of times and each time there has been a snake nearby or curled up underneath. Maybe they are attracted to them:)

Keeping a clean yard with properly installed snake/rodent mesh is far more effective and ALOT cheaper lol

Tasbid, if you're truly serious about the best possible protection against snakes in your yard I believe following this advice ^^ rather than spending copious amounts of cash on electronic devices and wasting time on online research videos would be your best bet. Even if you only protect a portion of your yard around the back door, where you and your dogs are most likely to spend large amounts of time, it would be far more effective and safer. As has been pointed out, there is no way you are going to know if any tests done are truly conclusive unless you are actually standing there watching the test being conducted, not if you want one as thorough as you are asking for. Not many people on this forum would be in the habit of actively repelling snakes if you think about it logically: we like snakes, look out for them, and there are many threads where somebody has been thrilled to find one in the backyard. The only instance where anyone on here would be in the habit of testing such devices is when their job is capture and removal, and would prefer a method where the consumer was repellant rather than fatal.
It's simple. Construct a barrier, a physical one, even on a small portion of your yard, keep your lawns mowed, keep debris to a minimum, keep your dogs inside at night, and you should be fine. Not to sound derogatory, but I would think these would be regular practises in most yards anyway.

Hi tasbid/Scott

Thank you for your response

It is clear to me that these snake repellers DO NOT effectively deter snakes and your query has been answered.

The only thing left to do is you buy a few (one is not enough apparently) for yourself test them and let the results be known.

I would appreciate to hear first hand your own results.

I am genuinely sorry to hear you lost your dog to snakebite. I have a dog and also a wild Red Bellied Black that visits occassionally. To date my dog has been safe.

Make sure your yard is clear of hidey spots for any reptiles and when your children or dog is in the yard be observant. That is what I have to do.

Cheers
Sandee :)

If it worked they would subject them to proper testing, while you make good points about both the sellers and those saying it doesnt work, its really up to the people selling it to put in the work and money to prove it works. Since they dont seem to do this it would be reasonable to assume they are a waste of money.

As pointed out the best way to eliminate snakes is by physically blocking them at all possible entrances, this is probably too expensive for most people though. The next best thing is habitat destruction both for snakes and their food like rodents, lizards and frogs.

Getting your dogs trained to avoid snakes would be a good idea, but i have never heard of anyone offering this service.

I'm going to apologise for my last post in this thread!. I didn't read your previous posts properly. When ever the snake sentinel comes up in conversation we nearly always get a new poster who gives anecdotal evidence and is never heard of again. I mistook you for one of those and for that I'm sorry.
As for your original question the answer is no - the fact that Snake Control.info /Rid of Snakes.com / stopsnakes.com / copperhead-snake.com / snakerepeller.com / Texas-snakes.com/ California-snakes.com / Florida-snakes.com / Brownsnake.info / Tigersnake.info / Snake fence.info / Stop-snakes.com/ oakent.com / stop-snake.com / oakent.com.au plus whatever else they call themselves do NOT publish or link to any results speaks volumes.

We even had a local vet advocating these devices at the start of snake season although the practice didn't actually sell them I was stunned that they advertised their availability.

Ha, like Fuscus I feel like I jumped the gun a bit by accusing Tasbid of selling this contraption.
I must admit, this product has given peace of mind to many people and the placebo effect can't be denied.
They can go out into their yard and garden or whatever comfortable in the "knowledge" that the repeller is doing its job.
They come in and say
"thank god for my purchase here, money well spent"'ect.." "I didnt even see a snake blah blah"
Ignorance is bliss .

We even had a local vet advocating these devices at the start of snake season although the practice didn't actually sell them I was stunned that they advertised their availability.

Same here in SE Qld.

Australia wide vets were bombarded with this sales pitch......smart marketing NOT...

How many people trust their vets opinion (most)...Dog Forums were also targetted.

My local vet called me to see what I knew. :) I told him, he no longer has brochures in the clinic.

Keep on working guys we will win one day

CheersSandee :)

What I have tried and failed in doing is obtaining hard data from the distributor of the snake repeller, which backs up their claims that their product works. They simply cannot prove anything, their product seems to work upon the speculation that it should work. If their product was viable and they had the data to prove it, wouldn't they gladly provide it? Fact is they appear to be charlatans, making money out of fear mongering. The only data I have come across is that the product either doesn't work or is inconclusive. Yet the charlatans are raking in a tidy profit. If you keepers out there are truly passionate about snakes, get away from your keyboards and pretty vivariums and do the hard work of educating the public about snake awareness, which would do a damn lot more good than a million snake repellers.

If you keepers out there are truly passionate about snakes, get away from your keyboards and pretty vivariums and do the hard work of educating the public about snake awareness, which would do a damn lot more good than a million snake repellers.

Agreed, although how much fun is it trying to educate people who take stories and propaganda as gospel? We had a hard enough time trying to convince a few people recently that two year old carpets could swallow something a little bigger than a fuzzy mouse, because 'their necks were too small'. The poor things were starving! It's easy to see why some get discouraged.

Part of my job is snake demonstrations and education so I'm out there doing just that. To be successful you must first accept there will always be a small minority that will not change or bend in their convictions, fact. There will always be fools peddling untruths as facts, this is just a part of life.
I have learnt if you speak the truth based upon sound facts and evidence, in this case with an outlook to better the lives of both people and animals, the intelligent majority will listen, uptake and disseminate that which they have learnt from you. This is how mindsets are shifted, attitudes changed and conservation gains new ground.

Part of my job is snake demonstrations and education so I'm out there doing just that. To be successful you must first accept there will always be a small minority that will not change or bend in their convictions, fact. There will always be fools peddling untruths as facts, this is just a part of life.
I have learnt if you speak the truth based upon sound facts and evidence, in this case with an outlook to better the lives of both people and animals, the intelligent majority will listen, uptake and disseminate that which they have learnt from you. This is how mindsets are shifted, attitudes changed and conservation gains new ground.

That's definitely encouraging :) We're still at the stage though where the minority get us down a bit, but I'll bear what you've said in mind.

The effectiveness of snake repellers aside, can someone please detail what I can do to reduce the likelihood of having snakes in my yard, which my dogs have total accesss to. The 1500 square metre block is bordered by a 5 foot paling fence. The palings have a half inch or so gap inbetween them. The fence sits on a concrete footing that extends the length of the fence. Nothing can dig under it. The front yard has is mainly horseshoe driveway with some lawn, but dense garden on both sides. It looks out across a paddock with a creek running though it. The back yard is a virtual botanical gardens, with some paved area towards the house. a deck right outside the backdoor, and an above ground pool further up the yard, surrounded by a deck which ranges from 1200mm high down to nothing due to the lie of the land. Over the back fence is privately owned bush. What can I put on the outside of the fence to help keep snakes out, roofing iron, shade cloth, wire? I am aware I need to try to remove ground level hidey holes, loose rock walls, piles of timber offcuts, etc. Do I need to trim all low lying foliage from the garden, and cut the bottoms out of shrubs and trees? Is there a way of detering them from going under the decks, which are accessible by the dogs?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Snakestoppers.com

I live in country vic/nsw and am a plumber, was at a station the other day and the lady of the house had 6 dogs which were treated better than most children. she has been using snake stopper since one of her dogs died from snake bite, the second time. while i was there asked if she saw many snakes and she replyed " none for two years untill yesterday, when they found one inside the chook shed (red belly black). when she investigated why, they found the rain had got into the device riht near the chooks and flattend the battery or something like that. She swar by them that they worked. i got the web site for my mate, she also said they were a bit pricey but got a discount for over a certin amount, just ask when inquiering. hope this helps

the web site was either snakestoppers.com or snakestop.com, not sure as gave it to my mate:)

I have tried and recommend shade cloth over vulnerable area like the fences of a kids play area, an aviary or chicken coop, stables, kennels any where you dont want the snake to enter.Obviously the shadecloth needs to be tight and without holes or gaps, and preferably under the ground at the bottom.I reckon its easier to make snakeproof area for animals and kids to spend the bulk of their time in, that try to rid your property of the snakes. I know its not practicle when the area is to large like for horse in paddocks,the shadecloth would get to costly and checking for damage would be to time consuming.
It serves a double purpose to, by keeping our animals safe from snakes your also keeping wildlife safe from our pets

Proper testing should not be to difficult so it is surprising:rolleyes: that it has not been done.
One way I could think of is to have a very large enclosure (perhaps a large yard with appropriate fencing) with suitable habitat at one end and bare area the other. Ideally the enclosure would exceed the alleged range of the device. Place snakes in cage and let them settle in. Perhaps track them and record their behaviour. The Geek in me says implants and automatic triangulation every couple on minutes. Because there is suitable habitat only in one end the animals should spend the vast majority in that area Introduce the device into the end with the suitable habitat and ensure its working properly. ENSURE IT IS SET TO WHATEVER INSTRUCTIONS ARE INCLUDED IN THE PACKAGE. This is to avoid the claims that it wasn't set-up properly
Now if the device works as claimed the animals should abandon the suitable area and remain as far away as possible and/or outside the range, ie at the far end of the enclosure.
Anyone got the time and money to do this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back