Naming and Jungle care help for newbie!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ziekioe

Lover Of Danger Noodles
Reaction score
Hi all!
I’m looking for advice as a newbie.
I’m 32 now but last owned snakes at 18yrs old when I was young and stupid.
I had a Children’s Python that hated human kind in general and knocked herself out while trying to obliterate me.
I also had a very calm Stimson’s Python that was happy to be bathed if he pooped on himself and was such a happy boy in general. I gave both away once I fell pregnant.
I now breed Cavoodles, have tamed feral cats (I’m not shy to bites haha), two pet rats that love snuggles at midnight when I get up to pee and a sweet but cowardly scorpion. I am drawn back to snakes and went to a pet store this weekend past for a Stimson’s.
They were horribly defensive and the Children’s was very jumpy.
However the shop owner/reptile enthusiast showed me a yearling Jungle that was very nippy at first but with daily handling was becoming very chill.
I handled this baby twice with no issue and my 10yr old autistic kid handled this snake with no issues.
I am used to bites and pain but snakes still make me jump.
I am picking up this beautiful baby this weekend & it’s mostly black with bright yellow markings. We don’t know the gender.
Any tips on keeping Jungles in Brisbane weather and any name suggestions? So far we have quite a list (and I LOVE nicknames):

Kiff

Hadley

Oni

Snuggs

Meepit

Kandor

Moscato (Mossi)

Raven (Rae)

Boopie (Boo)

Burrito (Burri)

Bumblebee (Bee)

Link

Parmigiana (Parmi)

Nipsie

Cinna (Cinn)

If you have the space give them as big and tall of an enclosure as you can with lots of branches and hollows, as well as making it bioactive with plants that can hold a snake. I think that bumblebee is a good name, though I would name it taxi. I live in NSW so no tips about keeping one in brisbane, but you'll be fine.

Good Luck

Hi all!
I’m looking for advice as a newbie.
I’m 32 now but last owned snakes at 18yrs old when I was young and stupid.
I had a Children’s Python that hated human kind in general and knocked herself out while trying to obliterate me.
I also had a very calm Stimson’s Python that was happy to be bathed if he pooped on himself and was such a happy boy in general. I gave both away once I fell pregnant.
I now breed Cavoodles, have tamed feral cats (I’m not shy to bites haha), two pet rats that love snuggles at midnight when I get up to pee and a sweet but cowardly scorpion. I am drawn back to snakes and went to a pet store this weekend past for a Stimson’s.
They were horribly defensive and the Children’s was very jumpy.
However the shop owner/reptile enthusiast showed me a yearling Jungle that was very nippy at first but with daily handling was becoming very chill.
I handled this baby twice with no issue and my 10yr old autistic kid handled this snake with no issues.
I am used to bites and pain but snakes still make me jump.
I am picking up this beautiful baby this weekend & it’s mostly black with bright yellow markings. We don’t know the gender.
Any tips on keeping Jungles in Brisbane weather and any name suggestions? So far we have quite a list (and I LOVE nicknames):

Kiff

Hadley

Oni

Snuggs

Meepit

Kandor

Moscato (Mossi)

Raven (Rae)

Boopie (Boo)

Burrito (Burri)

Bumblebee (Bee)

Link

Parmigiana (Parmi)

Nipsie

Cinna (Cinn)
No idea on the name, I like several on the list though, I have a 3yr old Jungle, I'm a bit south of Brisbane (mid north coast, NSW ) no real issues 🙂 but he gets quite defensive (snappy) when coming up to a shed. Best of luck, hope your snake brings me as much pleasure as Jerry 😁

Thanks guys for the advice! I’ll be upgrading his tank soon. He was in a small tank in the shop, now he’s in a medium tank while he adjusts to us, then onto the big tall enclosure! We decided to name him Kif (after Futurama). Kif is the biggest sweetie!!
I held him in the pet shop until bagging time & he was very curious. When I got him home he didn’t want to come out of his bag but eventually I got him out. He was very ready to strike at that point so I figured I’d let him tag me then put him in his cage so I put my hand in from of his face. He just sniffed me then decided to explore his new home. I’m in love!!!!!

If you have the space give them as big and tall of an enclosure as you can with lots of branches and hollows, as well as making it bioactive with plants that can hold a snake. I think that bumblebee is a good name, though I would name it taxi. I live in NSW so no tips about keeping one in brisbane, but you'll be fine.

Good Luck
Why bioactive? It seems like so much extra work and worry....

easier to keep humidity up, looks nicer and more enrichment. Not saying it's a need I just think that it makes the whole enclosure less boring and plain as well as it being quite fun. Just me though.

Back