PHOTO POST: Walkabout in PNG

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

toxinologist

Reaction score
Here are a few pics from my latest fieldtrip through the Gulf, Southern Highlands and Western Provinces of PNG. Enjoy!

Waiting for the weekly plane at Wipim (Western Province)

ben_david_wipim.jpg

Papuan death adder (Acanthophis laevis) hiding in leaf litter beside a bush track near Kuru village (Western Province)

Acanthophis-(Kuru-WP).jpg

This death adder (Acanthophis laevis) was caught in a drainage ditch in the grounds of a village school at Waro village (Southern Highlands Province)

Acanthophis-(Waro-SHP)-2.jpg

And this cheeky little death adder (Acanthophis laevis) was caught in a well at Wipim - the lady who was standing in the bottom of the well at the time was NOT amused!

Acanthophis-(Wipim-WP).jpg

These next photographs are of a rare Papuan blacksnake (Pseudechis papuanus) that was caught near Iamega village in Western Province... to say it put a smile on my face would be an understatement :!:

ppapuanus_iamega_wp_1.jpg

ppapuanus_iamega_wp_3.jpg

ppapuanus_iamega_wp_4.jpg

One of these days I'll learn that feet are for walking, backsides are for sitting ...

muddy_ass.jpg

September in Kikori (Gulf Province) tends to be a little bit damp...

good_weather.jpg

But at the end of a long day, there is nothing better than a good feed of roast bandicoot ... (tastes exactly like turkey!)

gutting_bandicoot.jpg

Looking at this very dark-coloured Papuan taipan (Oxyuranus scutellatus canni) it isn't hard to see why people mistake them for blacksnakes :!: :shock:

black_taipan.jpg

Infact compared to this very light coloured specimen with its fantastic red sports-stripe, some people would think they were looking at two completely different snakes ...

red_taipan.jpg

This little tree frog (Litoria spp) wanted to share my dinner one night...

greentree_frog.jpg

Last one for now ... a 4 metre amethystine python (Morelia amethistina) near the Gobe Oilfield just inside the border of Southern Highlands Province.

sloughing_scrubby.jpg

Cheers all!

David

thanks for sharing the pics toxinologist,
boy that scrubbys head looks cool - eyes milky.
Is that the tip of the tail of the little adder - bright yellow.

RE: Re: PHOTO POST: Walkabout in PNG

Fantastic Images. Thankyou for sharing herps in your part of the world ;)

hello david

amazing pics, im really jelous

where in australia are you now

Welcome Back David :D

Nothing like a short walk through PNG :wink:

G'day Tommo,

I'm in Melbourne until tomorrow and am then heading up to Newcastle for the Xmas break. I head back to PNG at the beginning of February.

Cheers

Thanks for the picks David.......and making us jealous. :lol:

that is one huge scrubby, love the plates on there head. was the end of its tail missing?

I am in awe! Amazing shots of so truely amazing animals. The first shot of the Death Adder, the Taipan and the Amethystine really blow me away. Unreal animals. I want to go there even mroe now. How was it? I've heard that white people aren't always the most welcome there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back