Sexing Bearded Dragons

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mblissett

Reaction score
Hey Guys !!

I know this might sound a dumb question, but how do you sex bearded dragons. I think I have a female Central Bearded Dragon

Any help or photos would be greatly appreciated !!

Thanks

There's a bunch of different ways that people use. Some look at femoral and preanal pores, but I find that the easiest way (with larger animals) is to gently raise the tail a little and check for the bulges on the ventral basal tail area, two in males, one in females.

A web search should bring up photos of both methods. Alternatively, post some pics of your girl and we should be able to give you an opinion.

Welcome to the site, by the way :)

gee sdaji [femoral and preanal pores] mate.to someone who is learning that explanation is detailed but would have been as clear as mud.lol

obee

Hey Guys !!

thanks so much for your replies, I actually bought a male today off a more experienced person :)

He enlightened me my beardy was a she :)

Even though I still have no idea lol

but thanks heaps anyway guys !!

Just be aware mblisset, sexing beardies is a pretty unreliable thing, even for experienced people.

I have seen many so called "females" that when checked a second time are males. They seem to be able to "hide" their hemipenes or they are hard to see when stressed or something.....

Well I'll see how I go, I spose there is only one way to find out :)

up there thats the pic of my supposed girl, when the boy I bought finishes shedding I'll post a pic he is a beautiful red colour

nice beardy mate,good luck with em.
sorry africa,i just know when i was a young fella asking ?'s.ppl just like to speak as though they spoke fluent latin.so i learnt very little from those explanations,were more confusing than useful.first timers get more from english explanations.

obee

obee said:
nice beardy mate,good luck with em.
sorry africa,i just know when i was a young fella asking ?'s.ppl just like to speak as though they spoke fluent latin.so i learnt very little from those explanations,were more confusing than useful.first timers get more from english explanations.

obee

Obee, I would love to hear your 'english explanation' of this method, if, as you say, it is to help mblisset more :) :? Otherwise it is pointless to comment at all.

Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back