thermostats

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Joshpython

Not so new Member
Reaction score
hey everyone .
i have been reading lots of threads about thermostats and buying cheap ones and being not as good and so forth.
i just wanted to show everyone my set up. also just letting people know that i am a sparky so i am allowed to do my own wiring. and not telling people to do their own wiring if you arent qualified.

i bought the thermostat itself of ebay for $13, its a 240 volt one that you can program the desired temp and sensitivity. i got the enclosure and switches from the wholesale (put it on the company account). and put a timeclock inside for the light. i have wired out the back into the heat lamp and light.
it has been great, havent had any problems. best 13 bucks i have spent in a while.

thanks guys.
photo.jpg
ps havent posted photos before, so hopefully this works.

Looks like a decent design mate.
I'm not sure about the rules & regulations but maybe you can look at making more up & selling them.

Just one question though, where's the temp. probe to monitor the temp range?

hey everyone .
i have been reading lots of threads about thermostats and buying cheap ones and being not as good and so forth.
i just wanted to show everyone my set up. also just letting people know that i am a sparky so i am allowed to do my own wiring. and not telling people to do their own wiring if you arent qualified.

i bought the thermostat itself of ebay for $13, its a 240 volt one that you can program the desired temp and sensitivity. i got the enclosure and switches from the wholesale (put it on the company account). and put a timeclock inside for the light. i have wired out the back into the heat lamp and light.
it has been great, havent had any problems. best 13 bucks i have spent in a while.

thanks guys.
View attachment 273753
ps havent posted photos before, so hopefully this works.

That does seem like a good buy. I must admit what always puts me off buying cheaper thermostats is the quality of what you cannot see and if they have passed the same stringent safety tests as Habistat and Microclimate. It would be really interesting if someone with the appropriate knowledge was able to strip down the market leading thermostats and compare the internals with cheaper alternatives such as the one in your picture. The results might surprise you (one way or the other).

Kindest regards

Endeavour

I started my snake keeping with a Microclimate 100 and a 7W mat for a Stimi....USELESS...i now have 5 nearly 6 snakes and use a cheap system like in pic above (made in china) been using for 3 yrs and no probs out of all 5 units....very acurate to...+ - 0.5 deg and an alarm at + - 5 deg...would tell ya the make but i threw the boxes out recently after a house clean and i cant be asked to go behind the enclosure to find out
lol.gif

I started my snake keeping with a Microclimate 100 and a 7W mat for a Stimi....USELESS...i now have 5 nearly 6 snakes and use a cheap system like in pic above (made in china) been using for 3 yrs and no probs out of all 5 units....very acurate to...+ - 0.5 deg and an alarm at + - 5 deg...would tell ya the make but i threw the boxes out recently after a house clean and i cant be asked to go behind the enclosure to find out
lol.gif

Really shows you that sometimes it's the brand that you pay big bucks for. Often a $13 thing will work just as well or better than a $100 thing.

Really shows you that sometimes it's the brand that you pay big bucks for. Often a $13 thing will work just as well or better than a $100 thing.
the ones i use r 60 bucks and from a shop so they must be cheaper somewhere tho not seen them on Ebay as yet

I have two of these thermostats recessed into the bottom of my enclosures so they're actually part of the enclosure. I've had them for about two years now and work great, basic but effective.
uploadfromtaptalk1355480608965.jpg

I have two of these thermostats recessed into the bottom of my enclosures so they're actually part of the enclosure. I've had them for about two years now and work great, basic but effective.
View attachment 273774

That looks a really professional job.

Kindest regards

Endeavour

I use one but prefer my dimming thermostats more. These cheap ones are robust but the switching is quite audible and causes a little interference to the tv on the same 240v circuit. If you had them in a dedicated herp room and needed to run quite a few of them they are a good cheap option for controlling heat cords and mats.

the ones recessed into the bottom of your enclosures look really good Norm, similar looking unit but really good install.

I was looking at these same thermostats. Glad to hear they work well enough.

One quick question though, are they hooked up to CHE's or IR bulbs?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

On/ off thermostats are not recommended for globes as they greatly reduce the life of them. The only way around this is if your room ambient temps are very stable and the globe is well matched to the enclosure and isn't constantly cycling on/off so in essence the thermostat is being used more as an over temp cut out than a temp regulator.

the ones recessed into the bottom of your enclosures look really good Norm, similar looking unit but really good install.
Thanks but its a rougher job than it looks! If i was doing this in a nice display enclosure in the house i would do a neater job but they're in my garage so as long as they do the job im happy. I like the fact they're fixed to the enclosure but i also like your idea where they're portable.
Buffcoat i only use 40w in summer and 60w in winter reflector globes from bunnings. Cost me a couple of dollars each and i usually get at least 3 months out of them sometimes more so for me its all good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back